Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know I shouldn't but I really do have an incline that the UKCAT averages this year due to seeing so many people score a lot lower on VR and DA! I remember looking through the thread last year and so many people got over 800 in DA! FINGERS CROSSED!! Although QR scores are seeming on the high side!

Does anyone know when the averages get released whether they give a breakdown of all sections of just the overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    I know I shouldn't but I really do have an incline that the UKCAT averages this year due to seeing so many people score a lot lower on VR and DA! I remember looking through the thread last year and so many people got over 800 in DA! FINGERS CROSSED!! Although QR scores are seeming on the high side!

Does anyone know when the averages get released whether they give a breakdown of all sections of just the overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    By the 9th Oct. and we should get deciles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I see a lot of people talking about how the 5 year course is financially struggling but does anyone know the cost breakdown for a graduate entering a 5 year course and how are we meant to pay without student finance? Do we just take out a 0 interest student bank loan (if they even exist :s)? A bit confused can someone clear this up please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMMargiela)
    I see a lot of people talking about how the 5 year course is financially struggling but does anyone know the cost breakdown for a graduate entering a 5 year course and how are we meant to pay without student finance? Do we just take out a 0 interest student bank loan (if they even exist :s)? A bit confused can someone clear this up please
    You'd need £36k for fees. You'd get some maintenance loan, but it's means assessed. The only places I've seen advertising non-government student loans want repayments whilst you're still studying and there are no 0 interest bank loans, so it would be a big financial issue for most people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know three people who are doing this, all of them are using the bank of mum and dad to pay for their fees.

Career development loans (a low interest loan from the government) are limited to 10k so you still have another 26k to find yourself. It's pretty much impossible without a rich family to pay for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Going_To_California)
    You'd need £36k for fees. You'd get some maintenance loan, but it's means assessed. The only places I've seen advertising non-government student loans want repayments whilst you're still studying and there are no 0 interest bank loans, so it would be a big financial issue for most people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does the 36k need to be paid all up front or can it be paid in instalments every term/year?

ReputationRep:
    Does the 36k need to be paid all up front or can it be paid in instalments every term/year?
    You need to pay 9k a year. Some uni's take instalments, some don't. You'd need to speak to the finance departments of each uni. Make sure you can fund every year though because if you cannot pay you have to leave the course.

ReputationRep:
    Have any of you guys been to interviews before? I'm looking at work experience reference stuff (for St George's, but many of them seem similar) and I can't quite figure out what they need - they don't seem to be asking for a character reference or anything from your WE placement, just "dates, hours worked and duties undertaken" for any formal placements within the last 2 years. A traditional reference wouldn't include those things, would it? It's clearly not the same as the UCAS reference. Don't know what I should be asking the hospital for!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 271
Size:  91.0 KB

I got a response today about the previous UKCAT scores of successful Kings applicants. It doesn't say the scores of those invited to interview but it gives some idea as to what kind of scores they accept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natha_Lite)

I got a response today about the previous UKCAT scores of successful Kings applicants. It doesn't say the scores of those invited to interview but it gives some idea as to what kind of scores they accept.
    Thats for sharing, interesting to see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanaGEM)
    Thats for sharing, interesting to see
    I have no chance with 670!!! Anyone know which ones I could apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaker)
    I have no chance with 670!!! Anyone know which ones I could apply?
    Warwick would be your best bet, maybe Barts if you have postgraduate qualifications. Other than that look at non-UKCAT unis such as Bristol and Cambridge.

It's always worth applying, you never know until you try!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natha_Lite)

If you look at the 2015 entry thread for King's there were people getting interviews with 720, I think I even saw 697.5, but that was the lowest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orange_tree100)
    Just out of interest, what do you think the average will be this year?
    I have no idea I'm just hoping its lower than last year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    I have no idea I'm just hoping its lower than last year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Me too! I'm really hoping it's a lot lower! Also s bit worried about Warwick minimum VR scores. I got 610 and just hoping that's good enough.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'd really appreciate some advice on my choices. I think I've decided to apply to warkwick, soton, barts and kings but I'm really unsure tbh, I'm also worried about putting down all GEM because financially luckily I'm ok to go for the 5 year and I'm under the impression I'd have a better chance at 5 year? my ukcat was 727.5, I have a 2:1 in pharmacology from soton, my a levels were ABBb (bio chem maths pays) and GCSEs (5A*'s and 5A's). I work fulltime as a HCA and also volunteer as a community first responder. I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer!! thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kj0511)
    Hi, I'd really appreciate some advice on my choices. I think I've decided to apply to warkwick, soton, barts and kings but I'm really unsure tbh, I'm also worried about putting down all GEM because financially luckily I'm ok to go for the 5 year and I'm under the impression I'd have a better chance at 5 year? my ukcat was 727.5, I have a 2:1 in pharmacology from soton, my a levels were ABBb (bio chem maths pays) and GCSEs (5A*'s and 5A's). I work fulltime as a HCA and also volunteer as a community first responder. I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer!! thank you!
    I dont have an offer but you sound like a strong candidate, and I wouldnt be put off applying for GEM however, i think youre right that 5 year is less competitive, you could apply to both, your UKCAT is fantastic for 5 year, and if you can afford it then its definitely something to consider

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanaGEM)
    I dont have an offer but you sound like a strong candidate, and I wouldnt be put off applying for GEM however, i think youre right that 5 year is less competitive, you could apply to both, your UKCAT is fantastic for 5 year, and if you can afford it then its definitely something to consider
    yeah i know my academics are kind of bottom end and my ukcat probably isn't quite enough to make up for it so i guess its just last minute nerves, I've never applied before. i have a lot of work experience but it seems only warwick cares! thanks for your advice!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

Sorry if this has been covered - are other people putting all of their degree modules down on ucas?

Also, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but just double checking, if I graduated in 2012 and haven't done any studying since I'm not entitled to apply to Newcastle am I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Healthynewlife)
    Hello everyone!

Sorry if this has been covered - are other people putting all of their degree modules down on ucas?
    I asked this the other day, some are, some aren't. I guess it could depend where youre applying as your modules may meet tge requirements of some unis. I dont think it really matters unless the uni specify.

Good luck with your application

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.