ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Do you have the list of names?
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Cech
    Gabriel
    Ospina Debuchy Chambers Sanchez Welbeck
    Kallstrom
    Sanogo Flamini Viviano Ozil (Ajayi Macey)
    Monreal
    Podolski Giroud Cazorla
    Eisfeld Henry
    Jenkinson Gervinho Ox Campbell Chu-Young Santos Mertesacker Arteta
    I didn't include loan players (Viviano + Kallstrom), and also didn't include Sanogo, Ajayi, Macey, Eisfeld, and Jenko due to them being very small transfers (like Jeff this season) with unknown players.

Defenders: Gabriel, Chambers, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Andre Santos, Debuchy, Squillaci
    Wingers: Gervinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sanchez, Park, Podolski
    Midfielders: Arteta, Ozil, Cazorla
    Strikers: Giroud, Welbeck
    Goalkeepers: Cech, Ospina

I can see I missed out a few like Flamini by mistake, but it still wouldn't be enough to say that Wenger has an obsession with buying midfielders.

ReputationRep:
    It's better for Arsenal if Leicester win but I think Man City will smash them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    It's better for Arsenal if Leicester win but I think Man City will smash them
    City have a too low work rate, and Leicester have it in abundance. Can see Leicester getting a result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Accident. Just a poor first touch that landed in the right place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    I didn't include loan players (Viviano + Kallstrom), and also didn't include Sanogo, Ajayi, Macey, Eisfeld, and Jenko due to them being very small transfers (like Jeff this season) with unknown players.

Defenders: Gabriel, Chambers, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Andre Santos, Debuchy, Squillaci

I can see I missed out a few like Flamini by mistake, but it still wouldn't be enough to say that Wenger has an obsession with buying midfielders.
    So he buys in pretty much the ratio you'd expect given the numbers of each player on the pitch

ReputationRep:
    We all know Wenger wants to do away with the January transfer window so I don't expect much activity from him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    So he buys in pretty much the ratio you'd expect given the numbers of each player on the pitch
    Exactly

(Original post by al_94)
    We all know Wenger wants to do away with the January transfer window so I don't expect much activity from him
    Aren't we pretty much nailed on to get Elneny already?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by al_94)
    I don't think any of the top clubs will do much business because the quality of player needed to improve them is rarely available in January. The best you can hope for is to buy a star player from a club in an inferior league and hope they do well over time (E.g Suarez, Matic, Vidic, Evra) as the only players available in England will be the likes of Berahino & Austin.

ReputationRep:
    Both teams dropping points at this point!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We go into 2016 top of the Premier League. Don't get carried away, lads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Accident. Just a poor first touch that landed in the right place
    This is where neg rep would have been useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Cech
    Gabriel
    Ospina Debuchy Chambers Sanchez Welbeck
    Kallstrom
    Sanogo Flamini Viviano Ozil (Ajayi Macey)
    Monreal
    Podolski Giroud Cazorla
    Eisfeld Henry
    Jenkinson Gervinho Ox Campbell Chu-Young Santos Mertesacker Arteta
    Thanks. Would say that the attacking trio I also class as midfield but I guess many wouldn't (the 5 in the 4-2-3-1).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)

See now I wouldn't class that set as wingers since Wenger hasn't played with proper wingers for along time. They are attacking players who just nominally start wider or when defending are wider to track the opposition but they all come in narrow when attacking. Even Welbeck rarely played as the striker up front I thought?

Probably not fair to call them midfield players too but I guess it was a lazy description of the central/attacking type of player Wenger loves.

ReputationRep:
    Here is where I stand with Jenkinson.

One thing that's really going for him is undoubtedly the fact that he is English. However I feel that his development is very slow, and can we really say that he's any better or perhaps even on par with the people we've got in his position? No. Each time I hear about Jenko, it's either that he's conceded a penalty, received a red card or he's scored an own goal and I don't believe that is an exaggeration. He's 23 now soon to be 24, a more than reasonable enough age to play in the first team regularly, he doesn't even get that at West Ham because even they have better quality in defence than him. I don't know, feel free to correct me on any of this but development at Arsenal is very slow these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Here is where I stand with Jenkinson.

One thing that's really going for him is undoubtedly the fact that he is English. However I feel that his development is very slow, and can we really say that he's any better or perhaps even on par with the people we've got in his position? No. Each time I hear about Jenko, it's either that he's conceded a penalty, received a red card or he's scored an own goal and I don't believe that is an exaggeration. He's 23 now soon to be 24, a more than reasonable enough age to play in the first team regularly, he doesn't even get that at West Ham because even they have better quality in defence than him. I don't know, feel free to correct me on any of this but development at Arsenal is very slow these days.
    Not sure I see Jenks as Arsenal quality but a large part of fullback performance is the system they play in. Jenkinson was one of West Ham's best players last season but he's now struggling under Bilic.

Debuchy plays **** all games for us so I guess Jenks could fill that role next season but I'm not sure if he'll be happy with it or whether he wants more games. Either way, it's too difficult to tell how he'd develop if he got a run of games for us but I see Bellerin as the current and future starter regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    See now I wouldn't class that set as wingers since Wenger hasn't played with proper wingers for along time. They are attacking players who just nominally start wider or when defending are wider to track the opposition but they all come in narrow when attacking. Even Welbeck rarely played as the striker up front I thought?

Probably not fair to call them midfield players too but I guess it was a lazy description of the central/attacking type of player Wenger loves.
    Oh totally, Ox is really the only one I would be willing to switch to 'midfielder', the rest are wide forwards, but I felt I should make a distinction between those and between strikers like Giroud (although Welbeck fits both categories) - I suppose my point was more that we really don't buy many centrally deployed midfielders (AM, CM, DM).

ReputationRep:
    Sell debuchy and recall Carl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wenger says we will be busy in the January market... Hopefully this means more than one player

ReputationRep:
    Wenger should not even be looking at that Egyptian dude there are better players
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by al_94)
    Wenger should not even be looking at that Egyptian dude there are better players
    Have you seen him play before

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 7, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.