Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Higher Paper 2016 Unofficial Markscheme

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Would someone mind linking the paper with completed answers please? Want to have a look again haha.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have managed to get 81 will I be in a chance to get an A*, people are saying I need to get 166, so another at least 85 marks. But what was the grade boundaries for 2015, it had apparently low grade boundaries like 158 according to last year pupils. Is that correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samm98)
    Would someone mind linking the paper with completed answers please? Want to have a look again haha.
    Just go to page 1, I wanted to do the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakstar)
    Hi guys, I have managed to get 81 will I be in a chance to get an A*, people are saying I need to get 166, so another at least 85 marks. But what was the grade boundaries for 2015, it had apparently low grade boundaries like 158 according to last year pupils. Is that correct?
    I'm sure last year it was 155 for an A*- double check in EdExcel grade boundaries website. I think 81 is enough, if you repeat the performance in calculator exam then it may be enough- can't say for sure. No one knows the actual grade boundaries until all the exams in the country have been marked and the examiners decide. Therefore, anything anyone said regarding grade boundaries is only an estimate/prediction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13aa)
    for question 12
    instead of:
    100- 25π cm²
    would it be alright if i wrote : 25(4-π )cm²
    Yes, you just factorised it that's what examiners sometimes like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vik_k1)
    I'm sure last year it was 155 for an A*- double check in EdExcel grade boundaries website. I think 81 is enough, if you repeat the performance in calculator exam then it may be enough- can't say for sure. No one knows the actual grade boundaries until all the exams in the country have been marked and the examiners decide. Therefore, anything anyone said regarding grade boundaries is only an estimate/prediction.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cool, thank you, that's fine, I consistently get around 90-100 in the calculator papers, it now just depends on the question. But from what you are saying, then I would need probably 85 marks to secure an A*, if the grade boundaries don't go down. In my opinion, I found the last year's paper easier, don't see what the fuss was about on the Hannah question lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEstudentt)
    I got around 70 marks and i'm so disappointed because I'm predicted an A*((((((((((
    Same but aim for 95-100 marks in paper 2 (totally possible if you really want it) and we can get that A*

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you just factorised it that's what examiners sometimes like
    Yess. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Guys, for the estimating the solutions one, q9 I think, I completed the square and solved it: that should be acceptable right because I am right technically?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajive)
    Guys, for the estimating the solutions one, q9 I think, I completed the square and solved it: that should be acceptable right because I am right technically?
    Probably. For the simultaneous equation I wrote both x and y solutions instead of just x solutions. How many marks would i lose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sounds same as me. I got 6 questions wrong.

Two I didn't have time to answer at all (the teachers question and inverse proportion... so 7 marks gone there.)
    I also dropped 2 marks on the graph question by giving x values for y= -4 instead of +4.

I screwed up the varnish question by getting the area wrong (didn't take 2m off the width of the room) and carried that mistake through, but did everything else OK from that point. Hoping I get 2 of the 5 marks there.
    I misread the midpoint question and calculated the midpoint of M and P. I've marked myself as zero there but hoping (clutch, grasp) that by demostrating I can calculate the midpoint I may get 1 mark.
    For the last surds question I boobed by working out with root 3 over 2 instead of root 3 over 3. That was with rushing with 5 mins left. So I got a complete wrong answer. But by getting the area of the large triangle correct I should get 1 mark out of the three.

For the vectors question I mentioned S was 3/4 way along both lines but I didn't actually say it was the point of intersection. I think 1 mark out of the 2?

Allowing another 3 or 4 marks dropped across the rest of the paper (where I got all correct answers) I reckon 81/100 too. I was really annoyed with myself for some of these errors which were just silly. Got to get 85+ now in calculator I think for an A* chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darwinion)
    Sounds same as me. I got 6 questions wrong.

Two I didn't have time to answer at all (the teachers question and inverse proportion... so 7 marks gone there.)
    I also dropped 2 marks on the graph question by giving x values for y= -4 instead of +4.

I screwed up the varnish question by getting the area wrong (didn't take 2m off the width of the room) and carried that mistake through, but did everything else OK from that point. Hoping I get 2 of the 5 marks there.
    I misread the midpoint question and calculated the midpoint of M and P. I've marked myself as zero there but hoping (clutch, grasp) that by demostrating I can calculate the midpoint I may get 1 mark.
    For the last surds question I boobed by working out with root 3 over 2 instead of root 3 over 3. That was with rushing with 5 mins left. So I got a complete wrong answer. But by getting the area of the large triangle correct I should get 1 mark out of the three.

For the vectors question I mentioned S was 3/4 way along both lines but I didn't actually say it was the point of intersection. I think 1 mark out of the 2?

Allowing another 3 or 4 marks dropped across the rest of the paper (where I got all correct answers) I reckon 81/100 too. I was really annoyed with myself for some of these errors which were just silly. Got to get 85+ now in calculator I think for an A* chance.
    Well done anyway regardless, don't worry you sound quite good at maths. OMG all of the mistakes you have made, I promise you are the mistakes I have made, lmao!! Good luck anyway mate, for the sake of you and me we both have to perform effectively in the next paper, which no doubt me and you will do!! Best wishes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oasis61)
    Probably. For the simultaneous equation I wrote both x and y solutions instead of just x solutions. How many marks would i lose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, I also did the same thing mentioning both x and y, for both of our sake, my teachers believe I may get the full marks. If the examiners don't accept it, you would only lose 1 mark. So don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Really wanted an A* but now i have to get 90+ on the next one, which I don't think I can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama_whisperer)
    Yeah I would think so
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Rajiv, you will get the marks but the questions did ask to estimate it graphically, but since it's an estimate answers will be a range including the exact value, so yeah that would work!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Rajiv, you will get the marks but the questions did ask to estimate it graphically, but since it's an estimate answers will be a range including the exact value, so yeah that would work!
    Okay thanks, we never actually got to learnt that topic in class and I was meant to self - teach i but I forgot to.

ReputationRep:
    Should be because they didn't specify the method in which you were to complete it with

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I also did the same thing mentioning both x and y, for both of our sake, my teachers believe I may get the full marks. If the examiners don't accept it, you would only lose 1 mark. So don't worry.
    You should get full marks for that. Question asks for x values but you gave both x and y. That's extra info and you can't be penalised for that. I'm sure I gave x and y also.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, for the simultaneous equation question you know how there were two equations and for the first equation, in the question above you had to find the values for it. Well I put those x values as well as the other two from what I worked out when I drew the line of the second equation. Do you think I will get 0?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.