Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Haha yea unfortunately. I dont mind complex numbers or vectors so long as its not much more than intersections of lines rotations etc. I hate shape based questions though, especially 3d ones. Does looking at tangents and intersections of curves count as geometry ? I wouldnt mind that too much.
    Of course it counts as geometry

Do you think its odd that I really love complex numbers, and really hate vectors and anything related to (non-complex) geometry (considering how related these subjects are)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Of course it counts as geometry

Do you think its odd that I really love complex numbers, and really hate vectors and anything related to (non-complex) geometry (considering how related these subjects are)?
    phew thats good, dont mind banging out a couple of dull intersections if i have to.
    But yeah that is a little odd! But then again the only geometry I like is geometry using complex numbers so I sympathise with that

I think I like the geometry/vectors question iff I can use it to understand/link to another topic as well, on its own I dont normally see the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Don't spend too long on questions since not very many marks are allocated to the last bits of the question.
    M8, I just adjusted my exam technique strategy to trying 4 fulls with a few partials. Do you think I should continue with 6 questions, missing last part? I feel like it depends a lot on the question paper, and how confident I would be with the questions. If pure is flooded with geometry/complex numbers/vectors or other types of questions I am not that good at, then I would probably try to get more fulls (20/20) + fulls on mech section.

ReputationRep:
    For the sum of roots, products of roots stuff, does the pattern continue for polynomials above quartics? I.e sum of roots for ax^5 + bx^4 + ... + f = 0 is -b/a etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    For the sum of roots, products of roots stuff, does the pattern continue for polynomials above quartics? I.e sum of roots for ax^5 + bx^4 + ... + f = 0 is -b/a etc?
    yus

ReputationRep:
    I think the b term and the last term are always the same? Although it would probably be safer to just check with quintic polynomials now if you have the time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Vietas formulas. Wikepedia

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    physicsmaths, Zacken, EnglishMuon, IrrationalRoot, Mathemagicien, and all the other lads,

Round 3 incoming. Good luck you all, I hope we all do well, and get that 1/S that we deserve. It's pretty scary when you think of it, that after tomorrow's exam we will have a very good idea whether we will be in Cambridge or not this October.

I will be doing mechanics questions (since I expect the pure section to be flooded with geometry/complex numbers) today and tomorrow morning, trying to warm up and improve as much as I can before the exam. Can anyone recommend me some good mechanics questions, which are pretty standard and are such that the idea behind them might come up tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    physicsmaths, Zacken, EnglishMuon, IrrationalRoot, Mathemagicien, and all the other lads,

Round 3 incoming. Good luck you all, I hope we all do well, and get that 1/S that we deserve. It's pretty scary when you think of it, that after tomorrow's exam we will have a very good idea whether we will be in Cambridge or not this October.

I will be doing mechanics questions (since I expect the pure section to be flooded with geometry/complex numbers) today and tomorrow morning, trying to warm up and improve as much as I can before the exam. Can anyone recommend me some good mechanics questions, which are pretty standard and are such that the idea behind them might come up tomorrow?
    Inertia n forces

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You should tag krollo since he is the mechanics boy 2k16.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Inertia n forces

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Force exerted by the axis? Are you saying, in general, do the rotational dynamics questions first?

The thing is that I will only be able to do a dozen or so mech questions until tomorrow's exam, so I just want to do the ones which are pretty standard. Just like the integral question this year for STEP II was pretty standard, and has come up quite a few times before, would you say there are such questions like that but for mechanics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    You should tag krollo since he is the mechanics boy 2k16.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Krollo never responds to me, no joke.

Gonna try again though.

Krollo

ReputationRep:
    Krollo can you help me with mechanics 1 please mite

ReputationRep:
    Force exerted by the axis? Are you saying, in general, do the rotational dynamics questions first?

The thing is that I will only be able to do a dozen or so mech questions until tomorrow's exam, so I just want to do the ones which are pretty standard. Just like the integral question this year for STEP II was pretty standard, and has come up quite a few times before, would you say there are such questions like that but for mechanics?
    A combination of Elasticity/SHM/Circular Motion always comes up

ReputationRep:
    Krollo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mop3476)
    Krollo
    go out your house and walk to his house and talk to him ffs it's like 2 minutes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewdjones)
    A combination of Elasticity/SHM/Circular Motion always comes up
    more specific m8?

ReputationRep:
    Krollo never responds to me, no joke.

Gonna try again though.

Krollo
    Lol sorry bro.

STEP ii 93 has some nice mech. I can see the electric charge one coming up in a modern exam particularly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't pay too much attention to the mechanics section (more of a stats guy myself, plz don't kill me guys), but as has been mentioned, inertia, elasticity, shm, vectors seem quite common. What papers have you already polished off? We can't suggest questions without knowing if you've already done them or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I don't pay too much attention to the mechanics section (more of a stats guy myself, plz don't kill me guys), but as has been mentioned, inertia, elasticity, shm, vectors seem quite common. What papers have you already polished off? We can't suggest questions without knowing if you've already done them or not
    I haven't done that many. I've pretty much completed all of the mech questions for STEP III 2013-2015 (completing 2015 today), and maybe a few from older papers. I am looking more of standard mech questions which may come up tomorrow, or at least the idea to be such that it has been shown quite a few times on mech questions (e.g for I/II, Newton's third law when a bullet goes through a block). For example, the integral question that came up this year for STEP II was a pretty standard one, and the idea around it has come up many times before. Is there something of this sort for mechanics?

You could also suggest any interesting questions you've found, improving confidence and interest for STEP mechanics questions may prove to be more beneficial than trying to improve my problem-solving at them as much as possible until tomorrow afternoon.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.