Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    To me atleast there certainly seems to be a more consistent feel to Moffat whether childish or not, whereas RTD seemed to be trying a lot of news things to see what stuck during his tenure, some of which was incredibly childish, the other darker and more directed at older viewers. I do think Moff's stuff is more maturly written in someways that RTD's, especially in terms of relationships, but the darker aspects are more accessible and can be tackled if you want to and ignored if not, whereas in something like Dalek, the darkness stares you right in the face and is central to that story. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is the perfect example, riding a giant puppy reptile on one side and a villian wanting to 'break' a woman while in the end being killed for no reason at all except the fact that he 'deserved' it and couldn't be trusted to reform. It's pretty nihlistic but the episode as a whole is so breezy that you barely notice.

(Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Series 4 was a joke pretty much the whole way through. Awful.
    Oh I quite liked it, it was basically a few hours of the Doctor running about yelling at everyone he saw :lol:

ReputationRep:
    People say that Moffat's era is "hard to understand", whereas kids I've spoken to about it have no trouble grasping what's happening.

Could this be because adults look at it in a complicated way, hence "willing" it to be complex, so making it so? While children just watch and enjoy it, and absorb the story as it's meant to be?

(Original post by Skip_Snip)
    People say that Moffat's era is "hard to understand", whereas kids I've spoken to about it have no trouble grasping what's happening.

Could this be because adults look at it in a complicated way, hence "willing" it to be complex, so making it so? While children just watch and enjoy it, and absorb the story as it's meant to be?
    I am one of those people... If I don't really think about it and just "accept" it, then I understand it better. But when I start to think about it, and I question things, some bits just confuse the hell out of me.

Something that annoys me is when people say that Moffat's era "can't be" both childish and complicated ... well to me, it is. The storylines are complicated, but are delivered in a childish way. IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I am one of those people... If I don't really think about it and just "accept" it, then I understand it better. But when I start to think about it, and I question things, some bits just confuse the hell out of me.

Something that annoys me is when people say that Moffat's era "can't be" both childish and complicated ... well to me, it is. The storylines are complicated, but are delivered in a childish way. IMO.
    I seen it happen "live", on placement in school a TA said she had no idea what had happened, and I said ask Boy, who I had heard discussing it with his friend earlier. Boy told her, and she was like "ohh I over-thunk it!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)

It's because children are far more likely to obsess over every detail and immerse themselves in the universe far more readily than the average adult. I did this with the first few series and was really clued up with every story arc. But stumbling across a Moffat story mid-season isn't really as accessible.

(Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)

Oh I quite liked it, it was basically a few hours of the Doctor running about yelling at everyone he saw :lol:
    Sorry! Cannot take Catherine Tate at all seriously. The end of Tennant was bull**** as well, far too sentimental. He said goodbye to everyone about a hundred times.

ReputationRep:
    It's because children are far more likely to obsess over every detail and immerse themselves in the universe far more readily than the average adult. I did this with the first few series and was really clued up with every story arc. But stumbling across a Moffat story mid-season isn't really as accessible.

Sorry! Cannot take Catherine Tate at all seriously. The end of Tennant was bull**** as well, far too sentimental. He said goodbye to everyone about a hundred times.
    See im not a kid-and some of his single episode storylines do seem childish and abit annoying (last 5 mins of hide ruined its story -_-) but the main arcs are better in my opinion and arent too childish generally. Got to remember he only usually wrotes main episodes, he produces and adds main story arc bits to other episodes but the main bulk of the series is written by an assortment of other people. Personally it sometimes seems confusing whilst the series is airing but once its concluded seems pretty straight forward to me. But then again all the movies alot of people claim are "really confusing" I had no issue grasping well die hard 5 I understood what was going on yet somehow it sill made no sense lol Oh I also love the way if you go back and watch a moffat episode againnknowing what happens further on in the series it often has bits that take on new meaning and loads of subtle hints scattered around. Got to say I hope he concludes smiths unfinished plotlines by xmas at the later we still dont know how/why the tardis blew up and if it was the silence how they did it plus what exaxtly they gained by destroying EVERYTHING. His worst episodes were the two xmas omes that werent part of main story arcs and axted as fillers inbetween series-"The widow the wardrobe and the...." was worst wpisode I've ever had the misfortune to watch followed by "closong time".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hotpie)
    I have my personal fan theory that time lords can only regenerate to look like people they've seen before, even if they only do it subconsciously. This can be extended so that well trained time lords can consciously do it and choose who they regenerate into, provided they've seen him/her before, which explains that time-lord woman from the old Doctor Who who's name I can't remember
    You mean Romana :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    You mean Romana :love:
    THAT'S IT! I thank you kind sir, that's been bugging me ever since I posted

ReputationRep:

Oh I wasn't saying it was good, just that I like cranky Doctor which is why I rather like 'The Idiot's Lantern' because he just yells without provication The season had some good parts though but it certainly wasn't very consistent in quality.

(Original post by extermin8or)
    See im not a kid-and some of his single episode storylines do seem childish and abit annoying (last 5 mins of hide ruined its story -_-)
    But the power of love saved the day! :love: :mmm: -Huey lewis and the News plays in the background-

Also I actually thought that the last half season was the highest standard in terms of consistency and overrall writing the new DW has got :dontknow: RoA I think was the only one I didn't actually like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    Oh I wasn't saying it was good, just that I like cranky Doctor which is why I rather like 'The Idiot's Lantern' because he just yells without provication The season had some good parts though but it certainly wasn't very consistent in quality.

But the power of love saved the day! :love: :mmm: -Huey lewis and the News plays in the background-

Also I actually thought that the last half season was the highest standard in terms of consistency and overrall writing the new DW has got :dontknow: RoA I think was the only one I didn't actually like.
    Personally I think moffat needs to add ti his workload and do an episode or two parter every series that isnt story focused so he can do more eoisodes loke blink and the gas mask children one-god that was creepy :s "Muuummy, mummy. Are you my mummy?" *shivers*
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    Phwoar! KatrinDepp has a dark take on the next doctor:

ReputationRep:
    I found Moffat era far darker. RTD era had some dark ideas if they were properly explored, but it was usually only glanced over before the silliness subverted attention away. Everything was very big and bright, and veers away from anything serious as much as possible. It's impossible to have dark without a sense of peril, which there never was with RTD. RTD was just melodramatic and sentimental, as someone else said. It was always about leaving people rather than the actuality of risk of death (until Tennant's last scene, which was pretty amazing).

Moffat explores the darker side far more, which sometimes is great but sometimes falls into being a bit overly brooding. If the Moffat era is more childfriendly, then I think it's because of Matt Smith being such a physical actor. He brought a slapstick comedy to the role, which is far more childfriendly. The stories and set designs have been far darker than RTD's era, and hopefully that will come to the fore with the new doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Woooahh! Awesome. "You are now completely in my power". Tremble. :afraid:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    A dark doctor could be fun!

ReputationRep:
    I wish that Doctor Who would move to a post-watershed show :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    I wish that Doctor Who would move to a post-watershed show :daydreaming:
    Doctor Who isn't that kind of show, it's always been a bit of fun as well as Sci-Fi, it's not a dark gritty series and it never has been, don't get me wrong I LOVE those shows (huge Battlestar Gallactica fan), but Doctor Who isn't one of them, it's a much more laid back show which can be a bit of fun on the way, which is what makes it what it is, I LOVE Doctor Who for being what it is, just like I love other shows for being what they are, making it too dark or adult just wouldn't work imo, it's not what the show is (or has ever been) about imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    Doctor Who isn't that kind of show, it's always been a bit of fun as well as Sci-Fi, it's not a dark gritty series and it never has been, don't get me wrong I LOVE those shows (huge Battlestar Gallactica fan), but Doctor Who isn't one of them, it's a much more laid back show which can be a bit of fun on the way, which is what makes it what it is, I LOVE Doctor Who for being what it is, just like I love other shows for being what they are, making it too dark or adult just wouldn't work imo, it's not what the show is (or has ever been) about imo.
    I just see post-watersheds shows as more 'honest'. They can give genuine reactions and put in genuine emotions to situations that are otherwise held back by pandering to kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    I just see post-watersheds shows as more 'honest'. They can give genuine reactions and put in genuine emotions to situations that are otherwise held back by pandering to kids.
    there's loads of shows that do that though, Doctor Who is great because it's less dark/serious, that's what gives it it's charm! nothing wrong with kids either, we were all kids once, heck I'm 24 and I still think and act like one half the time anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    there's loads of shows that do that though, Doctor Who is great because it's less dark/serious, that's what gives it it's charm! nothing wrong with kids either, we were all kids once, heck I'm 24 and I still think and act like one half the time anyway
    Tbh I still like some kids shows, Fairy Odd Parents never gets old and I had a marathon last summer of every Batman, X Men, Spiderman and Justice League cartoon from the 90's. I just prefer Doctor Who when it moves away from being obviously silly and having dialogue/acting that is clearly pandering to the gif/tumblr crowd.

I have no problem with light hearted moments but completely childish annoys me a fair bit.

ReputationRep:
    I made this fan photo of Peter Capaldi as the Doctor. Someone else probably could've done it better as my photoshop skills aren't that great, but I hope you guys like it anyway.

So what do you think? Does he make a convincing Doctor? I can't wait till we see him!
    Attached Images

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.