The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by djpailo
Just a question, how do you get diagnosed with Avoidant Personality disorder and two, would you have to put that mental illness on application forms if you were diagnosed with it?

(What I mean is, do you go to a doctor, or a counsellor (probably not) or a psychiatrist etc?)

Going to your GP is your best bet, he can then refer you to mental health services who'll be able to diagnose you. A GP probably wouldn't give you a diagnosis of avoidant PD without doing this.as it's not their specialty. If you have easy access to a counselor you could try talking to them first as they might be able to give you some guidance as to whether you meet the criteria and if it's worth taking it further.

A word of warning however: I was diagnosed with it by the NHS and consequently got absolutely zero help dealing with it, it was like they didn't give a **** at all (thankfully I'm now getting help) so don't assume that getting a diagnosis will necessarily solve your problem.

As to whether to put it on an application form, I would guess it's up to you if you think it's relevant or not.
Sitting waiting to get my haircut and I'm a nervous wreck. Why is something so simple scary? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have to go back to the flat today to pick all my stuff up. Dreading going back. Gahhhhmy rooms a mess aswell so my parents will get all arsey with me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Slept at my desk with my pillow and duvet... Why? Cause I couldn't sleep in my bed... Why? Cause I hadn't ironed my ****ing PJ's!!!!!!!! :facepalm: Body is aching now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
2 down, 2 to go!
Managed my last two exams with no major freak outs and I think they went okay. The first one I timed well and didn't run out of things to say. The second one I finished an hour early (1 and a half hour exam) but then I went back and added more examples and detail etc so I think I made up for it.
I'm in quarentine tomorow with one other person which is going to be awkward but I think i'll be able to manage. :redface:
I feel less anxious than I was a couple of days ago and some of the side effects seem to be reduced. I am still getting strange dreams a lot and it's taking me like 3 hours to get to sleep most nights but I think that will improve once my exams are finished.
Cos i'm so stressy at the moment a few of my OCDs are getting worse and i'm in a really odd and crazy mood but my friends seem to be able to deal with it so it's all good. I'm being a bit more open about it with a few friends aswel which makes it easier. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Sitting waiting to get my haircut and I'm a nervous wreck. Why is something so simple scary? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: I don't know but I've always found it scary too. Hope you like your new hair cut. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -FireFlies-
Slept at my desk with my pillow and duvet... Why? Cause I couldn't sleep in my bed... Why? Cause I hadn't ironed my ****ing PJ's!!!!!!!! :facepalm: Body is aching now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you getting any help with OCD? I know how exhausting it can get when it's bad. Is there anything that triggered it do you think? Hope you manage to get a decent nights sleep tonight x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2207
Original post by SciFiRory
that's a horrible thing for someone to say :frown: am sure it's not true either, heck I know people on here would notice! (even if they don't always say, am sure people notice when people don't post in here for a while without saying why!)

is it possible your friend has just been busy with things after her exams? maybe try and call her at some point and chat? hopefully it's not a case of her actively ignoring you or anything!

you aren't worthless at all :no: and you don't alienate anyone here for a start im sure!

:hugs: that's okay, we all have times where we don't feel up to posting and stuff, hopefully you feel that when you are able to you can and will get support here :smile:

isolation is so easy when you feel down I know, sometimes it can be good just to get out though if you can, even just to the shops for food or something, a bit of daylight can sometimes be just what you need to feel a little better that day (I find this sometimes anyway, but don't tell my mum this or she would send me out there all the time which would scare me :tongue:)

your personality is still there im sure, it can be easy when you get really down to lose your sense of self though so that's understandable, just try and remember the things that you enjoy or even just make things a bit more bearable right now, that's a good place to start :hugs:

They are right though. I always think if I were to disappear the only people who would notice or care would be family but it was my sister who said that of all people. Nah I don't post enough for people to notice! Lately I've just been posting every couple of weeks then disappearing :ninja:.

She probably is busy but to not be free for a month is just weird. I was also abroad before that and I've been home for over 2 months and I've seen her once for about 20 mins when it suited her.

Haha I do alienate people on here, I told avhhs I would make a Skype account but still haven't :colondollar:. I hardly post on here let alone use Skype!

I have been outside but I feel scared about it now. I have always hated speaking on the phone but now I even avoid answering the door! When I am out, especially in a busy place I just think 'why did I leave the house?' And if I'm with a friend I just feel stupid because I get nervous and start talking about nothing in particular. I try and think 'what do people talk about?' and I have no clue.

The only thing that put a bit of life into was Game of Thrones haha! I'm still shocked about this weeks episode! Hope you're up to date! A couple of months ago I did start playing a game I really enjoyed to might carry that on. There's nothing more I really enjoy... I don't have any hobbies. I have always loved reading but it's been a struggle lately.

Thank you for replying, you always know what to say :hugs:. How have you been?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2208
Original post by Kindred
2 down, 2 to go!
Managed my last two exams with no major freak outs and I think they went okay. The first one I timed well and didn't run out of things to say. The second one I finished an hour early (1 and a half hour exam) but then I went back and added more examples and detail etc so I think I made up for it.
I'm in quarentine tomorow with one other person which is going to be awkward but I think i'll be able to manage. :redface:
I feel less anxious than I was a couple of days ago and some of the side effects seem to be reduced. I am still getting strange dreams a lot and it's taking me like 3 hours to get to sleep most nights but I think that will improve once my exams are finished.
Cos i'm so stressy at the moment a few of my OCDs are getting worse and i'm in a really odd and crazy mood but my friends seem to be able to deal with it so it's all good. I'm being a bit more open about it with a few friends aswel which makes it easier. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck for the last two exams!
Original post by catoswyn
Hi, this is just the right place to post as there are lots of people who have experienced anxiety and other problems who may have good suggestions as the best way forward for you.

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling right now. It sounds really grim for you. Still it is really good that you can see and talk about what you are experiencing. Treatment for anxiety such as medication is often very effective, though it can take a little while for the GP or other medical professional to find which of the various medications work best for you. As you are under eighteen they have to be very careful with medication as your brain is still developing and medications work differently than for adults. This means it might not be an overnight change but when you have sorted out the medication it can make things very different.

I would give it a go as you've tried counselling so many times. It sounds as if you may benefit from a different approach.

Obviously as someone experiencing anxiety it can feel very threatening going to a GP. Usually they are very understanding and helpful. Some surgeries have special drop in clinics for young people. If you don't like the GP you see or feel they were not helpful then you can always see another one.

I would just be honest with your mum and tell her exactly what you are feeling. She would be more upset if she thought you weren't able to confide in her I'm sure. It doesn't matter if you do cry. That's what mum's are for.

Big HUG.

:smile:

Thank you so much for the reply. It really helped. I've now got a doctors appointment so hopefully it all goes well. Thank you again. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,
Sorry for intruding here as you all seem to know each other well but I'm desperately looking for some advice. How do you guys manage to get uni work done with a mental health problem? I am currently failing my final year having handed in only one piece or coursework this term. Uni are giving me more extensions than I deserve totalling three months so far but I've made no progress on the outstanding work. Do you have any tips that might help me?

Incase it's relevant my main problems are anxiety, dissociation, mood swings, emotional overload/ numbness and what I can only describe as being stuck inside my head, functioning like a zombie on autopilot without the ability to express myself verbally or through writing/ drawing etc.

It would be great if anyone could help me out I'm so stuck and I realllly want to get through uni. Sorry again for barging in. I hope you're all doing well.

Sorry, I'm not the best to help with this probably! I'm assuming you have told the uni about your problems and this is why you've been granted the extensions? You don't say if you are getting any help for this at the moment (like counselling, seen the doctor etc); are you ?

I find making a list of (manageable) study tasks that I can tick off one at a time so I feel I've achieved something helps. Also doing a bit every day (a few hours) I find better than making loads of effort one day as I then feel burned out and want a rest for days afterwards.

Possibly if you're really struggling you could re-do the year on medical grounds? I could see you might not want to though :smile:

Hope this is of some help :smile:
Original post by Morgsie
Some users on here know nothing about mental health. Discussing previous exeriences of bullying in the Chat Forum, its the bloody internet they responded with.

Pretty much, yes. I have found that in Mental Health, you generally only get people who know what they are talking about, however across the site you will get a lot of people who don't know anything about mental health (and don't particularly care as it doesn't effect them) - which is the same in real life.
ing out and handing my keys over today. Why the hell am i so scared? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2213
Original post by Sabertooth
Going to your GP is your best bet, he can then refer you to mental health services who'll be able to diagnose you. A GP probably wouldn't give you a diagnosis of avoidant PD without doing this.as it's not their specialty. If you have easy access to a counselor you could try talking to them first as they might be able to give you some guidance as to whether you meet the criteria and if it's worth taking it further.

A word of warning however: I was diagnosed with it by the NHS and consequently got absolutely zero help dealing with it, it was like they didn't give a **** at all (thankfully I'm now getting help) so don't assume that getting a diagnosis will necessarily solve your problem.

As to whether to put it on an application form, I would guess it's up to you if you think it's relevant or not.

Original post by Kindred
Your best bet would probably be to see your GP and ask them to refer you to a psychiatrist. In my experience, they'll ask you some questions themselves first and maybe give you a check up a few weeks later to rule out other stuff then give you a referral. That's how it worked for my depression. They will probably also be able to give you some advice on coping with it when you visit. I don't think a counsellor would have the ability to diagnose you since they won't have an MD but they could still be useful for dealing with it and making you feel better. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your advice. I'm wary of seeing a GP if it doesn't help. Are there any guides online that actually help? I watched a few videos on it and whilst I knew and recognised what they were going through, the videos didn't really offer advice on how to fix it (many said you can't?) :s
Original post by luno
They are right though. I always think if I were to disappear the only people who would notice or care would be family but it was my sister who said that of all people. Nah I don't post enough for people to notice! Lately I've just been posting every couple of weeks then disappearing :ninja:.

She probably is busy but to not be free for a month is just weird. I was also abroad before that and I've been home for over 2 months and I've seen her once for about 20 mins when it suited her.

Haha I do alienate people on here, I told avhhs I would make a Skype account but still haven't :colondollar:. I hardly post on here let alone use Skype!

I have been outside but I feel scared about it now. I have always hated speaking on the phone but now I even avoid answering the door! When I am out, especially in a busy place I just think 'why did I leave the house?' And if I'm with a friend I just feel stupid because I get nervous and start talking about nothing in particular. I try and think 'what do people talk about?' and I have no clue.

The only thing that put a bit of life into was Game of Thrones haha! I'm still shocked about this weeks episode! Hope you're up to date! A couple of months ago I did start playing a game I really enjoyed to might carry that on. There's nothing more I really enjoy... I don't have any hobbies. I have always loved reading but it's been a struggle lately.

Thank you for replying, you always know what to say :hugs:. How have you been?

well, I normally notice (if im around) when people don't post for a while :tongue: sure other people do as well :smile: sucks your sister said that, maybe she was just in a bad mood and didn't mean it though?

thats annoying but hopefully she has time to see you soon!

that's okay, am sure he will understand, you should do things in the time thats best for you :smile:

try not to panic, it's easy to get overwhelmed when you haven't been out for a while, just remember if you are out with a friend that they want to be with you and talk to you, just try to relax and talk about things you have in common, heck if there a friend im sure they would want to know how your time in France was and stuff!

TV shows are good yeah, I'm a bit behind at the moment am afraid, been busy with my girlfriend so not had the time to sit down and watch through the new series (plan to do it soon though!) games are great, just got my XBOX Live account renewed myself so gonna hide away on Call of Duty and stuff when down/bored!

no worries, been a bit lax at replying to people on here of late as been busy like I said, but should be around this week at least to do so, I'm sure I don't always get things right either tbh :tongue: but thank you for saying that anyway as its nice to hear :smile: hope things pick up for you soon! :hugs:
Original post by PonchoKid
ing out and handing my keys over today. Why the hell am i so scared? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lovehug: it's okay, you can do it, you got your folks with you and you won't have to be with your flatmates for long at all either if there still being ****! hope it goes okay and stuff, message me if you get the time to let me know! :smile: :hugs:
Original post by Aemiliana
:hugs: I don't know but I've always found it scary too. Hope you like your new hair cut. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

I survived! I no longer look like a child with a dodgy haircut :biggrin: it's always so awkward though when they try to talk and I'm stuttering over my words.

Accidentally spoilt myself today and spent a fortune on clothes, make up and toiletries. Think I needed a treat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2217
I want to do something outside today but so far I haven't made it out of bed. Think that's partly because if I do then I'll need to grab a shower and get dressed which just seems like a lot of effort. I need to buy stamps too which means leaving the house before shops close, not sure if that's going to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2218
Going out tonight. Just to a close friend's flat, but there will be Other People There. This is kind not meant to be a big deal. Shouldn't feel this anxious about what is actually a really casual social gathering... but social anxiety kicking in. Plus PTSD anxiety because I know there will be alcohol which is fine unless it's not. And apparently playing Twister and that's scary because I normally run away when Twister is involved because I think it always ends up with physical contact? And I only touch safe people ever really and these people mostly aren't safe. But like, I don't really know how to deal with that in a socially acceptable way (i.e. not "I don't do physical contact so no Twister for me"). I could just angle to be the person spinning the spinny thing but not sure what I'll say if people are like "nawhhh have a go!" bleh it's such a ridiculous thing to be anxious about.

Also it's hot and I haven't washed my hair since last night so it will probably look a bit unwashed if I don't wash it again before then. But both showers in my corridor are currently out of order so I'd need to use someone else's or just wash hair in sink. It's kind of a chore to do it in the sink but anxiety is high and the idea of walking down another corridor wearing just dressing gown is horrible and the showers are just cubicles so I can't get dressed in them because you can't get properly dry and then it feels really unclean. I dunno. Can just wash hair in sink I guess but effort.

All these things are making me just not want to go and stay at home and read a book but she's one of my best friends and it's a "yay exams are done!!" thing so I really should go. :sigh:
Original post by Kindred
2 down, 2 to go!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good that you've finished two! Half way through :biggrin: also good news about timing & adding more in, I'm sure you will have done just fine :smile:.
Hope the last two go okay and so did quarantine & you can get some rest

Original post by ParadoxSocks
I survived! I no longer look like a child with a dodgy haircut :biggrin: it's always so awkward though when they try to talk and I'm stuttering over my words.

Accidentally spoilt myself today and spent a fortune on clothes, make up and toiletries. Think I needed a treat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good news that you are recognising you deserve a treat - everyone deserves a treat :biggrin:

Original post by asdfgah
Going out tonight. Just to a close friend's flat, but there will be Other People There. This is kind not meant to be a big deal. Shouldn't feel this anxious about what is actually a really casual social gathering... but social anxiety kicking in. Plus PTSD anxiety because I know there will be alcohol which is fine unless it's not. And apparently playing Twister and that's scary because I normally run away when Twister is involved because I think it always ends up with physical contact? And I only touch safe people ever really and these people mostly aren't safe. But like, I don't really know how to deal with that in a socially acceptable way (i.e. not "I don't do physical contact so no Twister for me"). I could just angle to be the person spinning the spinny thing but not sure what I'll say if people are like "nawhhh have a go!" bleh it's such a ridiculous thing to be anxious about.

I tink trying to be the spinny person is a very good plan. You said it was a 'close friend' - do they know about your problem? If so then they might stick up for you if people try get you to join in?
Not in a telling them way but if they say "come have a go" and you say no then your friend can try to detract attention or something? Hope it's okay!

Had the exam I have been panicking about LOADS today. I think it was.. okay. Won't have done brilliantly but I never was going to. Hopefully done well enough to get into uni. One more exam left and then I am free.

Latest