Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Descartes93)
    Thank you! Well the online tests really really helped and were the same competency as the real one so I'm guessing/hoping the same will apply to the Numeracy tests! Good luck for yours
    Thanks! :-)
    Everything is getting so real now. Scary!

ReputationRep:
    Wooo just passed my literacy skills test Has anyone done the Numeracy one?
    Yay congrats!!! :-) xx

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys advice needed!! Just got email from Roehampton and I have an interview!! On the same day as my one with Wandsworth. :-( Roehampton is my first choice but wandsworth emailed first its on wednesday and I haven't confirmed my attendance yet for either. What shall I do?! Roehampton also have 4 times as many places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebat)
    Hey guys advice needed!! Just got email from Roehampton and I have an interview!! On the same day as my one with Wandsworth. :-( Roehampton is my first choice but wandsworth emailed first its on wednesday and I haven't confirmed my attendance yet for either. What shall I do?! Roehampton also have 4 times as many places.
    Ring up Wandsworth asap and see if you can move it, if they can't do the same for Roehampton. In the effect that neither can move i personally would recommend you go just for the Roehampton one based on what you've said there

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys Im stressing out majorly and annoyingly its the weekend! So can't do anything until monday :-(

ReputationRep:
    Yay congrats!!! :-) xx
    Thank you cutebat!!!! And omg thats amazing, firstly major congrats on the 2 interviews!
    I would do exactly what swarfliam said - maybe email them as well - you might get a response over the weekend, so you never know! I also think you should go for Roehampton if you have to choose, just because its your first choice and if they have more places then you are much more likely to get an offer! Good luck and let us know what happens! xx

ReputationRep:
    I also agree with swarfliam!

(Original post by Airfairy)
    Thanks for this. It is interesting. Anyone know why they are so focused on shifting towards school direct?
    (Original post by alabelle)
    It's their new preference for teacher training, they wanted the brightest graduates trained on the job. As for why, I'm not sure. Guess it's just how they think they'll get the best teachers.
    I think Gove's argument is something along the lines of links to doctors. He says he wants teaching schools just like teaching hospitals (though personally I think this is an bad comparison as doctors do a lot of theory work beforehand... I'd say the proportions are probably more like the current PGCE set up).

They are also aiming for fast tracking to management. They think that all these 'top professionals'/the brightest graduates would be the best teachers but are getting drawn away from teachers because they can advance higher quicker in other careers.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I also agree with swarfliam!

I think Gove's argument is something along the lines of links to doctors. He says he wants teaching schools just like teaching hospitals (though personally I think this is an bad comparison as doctors do a lot of theory work beforehand... I'd say the proportions are probably more like the current PGCE set up).

They are also aiming for fast tracking to management. They think that all these 'top professionals'/the brightest graduates would be the best teachers but are getting drawn away from teachers because they can advance higher quicker in other careers.

xxx
    That tallies with what I've heard, yep. Recently read an article written by a guy who'd done School Direct and been fast-tracked to head of department within a few years. Hated it. Have heard that quite a few SD graduates end up leaving the school as soon as their year is over. To be honest, while I think it's important that teachers are well-educated, I don't think 'the brightest graduates' will necessarily make the best teachers. But the government doesn't seem too bothered about that... (unqualified ex-army teachers spring to mind).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crm)
    hey,

i submitted my application this week (after waiting for what felt like ages for my references to respond) but I have just realised I made an error in the exam board section. I did a national diploma on top of an english a level, and I put the wrong exam board for the diploma. I also guessed most of the exam boards for my GCSE's because all my certificates were lost when I moved house a few years ago, and I didn't want to wait until I was able to get new ones before applying as that would have been leaving it late.
    I've emailed the course providers to mention that I made a mistake on my diploma exam board.
    Do you think this will be much of a problem? Or if I guessed some of the exam boards for my GCSEs wrong, do you think it will matter? Just stressing out a bit!
    Thanks
    to to be honest I guessed all of mine too. They probs only interested in English and maths, my uni want to see my GCSE maths and English certificate at interview so I very much doubt they will sit and check every applicants award body for exams. As long as you get a copy of your maths and English, unis are very flexible. I would t worry about it, I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    Sent my academic reference an email asking him when he was submitting due to this weekends maintenance and he said he'd try today but hasn't yet getting a bit fed up and disheartened as I'm applying for English which is so competitive. I agree with earlier comments about the system seeming backwards.... But I guess I just have to waita

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do you find out about the number of places at each uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    How do you find out about the number of places at each uni?

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets...ov%202013.xlsx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hello i wanna become a primary teacher and wanted to know if it was possible if I can do a early childhood education degree (coz I wanna work with ks1/foundation) and then do pgce..?

Can I do an early years pgce with early childhood education?

I'm really confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wooo just passed my literacy skills test Has anyone done the Numeracy one?
    Hi there. I passed both literacy and numeracy today. Unfortunately I have to say it was one of the most stressful days of my life and I don't wish to repeat it. It wasn't helped by the fact that I went to get in my car to drive the 25 miles to the test centre and one of my tyres was flat as a pancake with a screw sticking out of it. Luckily my dad was around and he drove me there. So I was really stressed with all that. Anyway, I thought the literacy one was fine and just the same as the online practice ones. However I am sorry to say I thought the numeracy one was more difficult, although they may have adjusted the pass mark of course to allow for this. There were a couple of mental arithmetic questions covering topics I hadn't come across before in the 15 plus practice tests I did (the official ones and the numeracy ready ones). I was scoring 26 out of 28 regularly on the practice ones and yet felt totally stressed out by the process and was so relieved to have passed. Good luck to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rso101)
    Hi there. I passed both literacy and numeracy today. Unfortunately I have to say it was one of the most stressful days of my life and I don't wish to repeat it. It wasn't helped by the fact that I went to get in my car to drive the 25 miles to the test centre and one of my tyres was flat as a pancake with a screw sticking out of it. Luckily my dad was around and he drove me there. So I was really stressed with all that. Anyway, I thought the literacy one was fine and just the same as the online practice ones. However I am sorry to say I thought the numeracy one was more difficult, although they may have adjusted the pass mark of course to allow for this. There were a couple of mental arithmetic questions covering topics I hadn't come across before in the 15 plus practice tests I did (the official ones and the numeracy ready ones). I was scoring 26 out of 28 regularly on the practice ones and yet felt totally stressed out by the process and was so relieved to have passed. Good luck to everyone.
    Congrats on passing, sorry if you've had a bad day, if you don't mind me asking, what came up on the maths that youwerent sure about? As I'm doing a lot of revision and practice tests as it's been so long since I did maths at school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_disney)
    Congrats on passing, sorry if you've had a bad day, if you don't mind me asking, what came up on the maths that youwerent sure about? As I'm doing a lot of revision and practice tests as it's been so long since I did maths at school
    It was a question involving working out area in the mental maths. It was something I hadn't come across, although I did remember how to do it from school. The questions just seemed more difficult in the mental section. There was another horrible division question as well that I still don't know how to work out in my head! The second section was similar to the practice papers.

ReputationRep:
    Just got an email from KCL - got an interview on Friday 6th December!!

I'd booked my Literacy test for this day so will have to re-arrange it - seems such short notice!

ReputationRep:
    So one of my referees has finished her reference, and I'm still waiting on my University tutor to finish hers.
    I accidentally clicked the edit button on the 'Reference' bit in my application and clicked save, so I think it sent her another reminder. Also emailed her beforehand on Thursday to ask her did she receive the email and she said she would do it that day but still hasn't done it. She did do my reference for last year's application so I was hoping it would be a copy and paste job :s I don't want to be pestering her, but I really want to get it sent out before next Friday. I've applied for Worcester, Nottingham and Durham and it's History so it's an oversubscribed subject.

Why is UCAS so head melting?!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'm currently applying for PGCE's/School Direct. Not sure I'm going to get on but fingers crossed anyway. I am just wandering how everybody has coped with the skills tests? I do an English degree, and am applying to teach English. I have not done maths for over 7 years, and was terrible at it then...do you get to use paper for workings out in the exam etc? Any advice??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.