Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd either choose to work in the public sector(with the government etc.) or become an Energy economist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    One of many reasons not to pick LSE
    Many are naive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    Do any of you guys who want to go into IB actually know what investment banking involves? If not I strongly advise looking it up and doing work experience in that setting. Not only is IB boring it is very stressful. Be a forex strategist like me

... I guess forex strategists work in investment banks so by tenuous connection, they're also investment bankers
    tbf its only worth doing ib for the experience so you can move to hedgefunding or asset management, ib is just the easiest to get into and then just use the experience to transfer to something a lot less intense - these are my thoughts but i'm hoping to get swayed to a set career path at uni itself

ReputationRep:
    basically feels like Cambridge is full of people who actually love econ and lse is full of people who want to get rich

ReputationRep:
    I will only apply to Cambridge if I get 95% UMS across the board

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    basically feels like Cambridge is full of people who actually love econ and lse is full of people who want to get rich
    Might be true, LSE's Economics department is a lot stronger though. Their undergraduate programme is more modern, and sets you up better for a PhD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSpringer20)
    I will only apply to Cambridge if I get 95% UMS across the board
    I would say 95% in best/most relevant 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daltohn)
    Might be true, LSE's Economics department is a lot stronger though. Their undergraduate programme is more modern, and sets you up better for a PhD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah that's true tbf

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter if you get into Cambridge or LSE (or even Oxford), you'll do well in life at all of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    It doesn't matter if you get into Cambridge or LSE (or even Oxford), you'll do well in life at all of them.
    Hopefully we just meet our offers now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daltohn)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Neither department is "a lot stronger" than the other... they are both closely rank within the top 5 year on year with slight variations. The general consensus is the Cambridge undergrad course is a lot better suited towards actually learning Economics; you can see this by the course composition which has a strong emphasis on both the quantitative and qualititive aspects of economics, plus the added bonus of the superior teaching. Whereas the LSE course is more suited towards those who want an applied maths course and really keen on pursuing a career in the City (with optional modules in accounting, business, finance etc.)

But as Mike said, they will both set you up well for any high-flying career and it doesn't really matter which is "better" unless you're one of the lucky few that gets to pick from both. As for PostGrad that depends more on how well you perform and which optional modules you pick in subsequent years, both again are fine.

Anyways good luck to everyone hearing back in 2 weeks!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    warwick or ucl? why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Neither department is "a lot stronger" than the other... they are both closely rank within the top 5 year on year with slight variations. The general consensus is the Cambridge undergrad course is a lot better suited towards actually learning Economics; you can see this by the course composition which has a strong emphasis on both the quantitative and qualititive aspects of economics, plus the added bonus of the superior teaching. Whereas the LSE course is more suited towards those who want an applied maths course and really keen on pursuing a career in the City (with optional modules in accounting, business, finance etc.)

But as Mike said, they will both set you up well for any high-flying career and it doesn't really matter which is "better" unless you're one of the lucky few that gets to pick from both. As for PostGrad that depends more on how well you perform and which optional modules you pick in subsequent years, both again are fine.

Anyways good luck to everyone hearing back in 2 weeks!
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Overall good post, but just to comment on what I said; you're right in that LSE has more of an applied maths course, which happens to be what the best (US) PhD programmes are looking for, hence my comment. And LSE's department is stronger faculty-wise according to most people. I'm sure Cambridge's course is excellent, I've heard it involves Keynes slightly too much though haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndhala)
    warwick or ucl? why
    ucl because it has the London advantage and department has better research and is historically v good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndhala)
    warwick or ucl? why
    Marginal difference between the two, down to preference.
    I would pick Warwick, purely because I don't want to go to a London uni, and I prefer Warwick's campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0PEL3SS)
    Marginal difference between the two, down to preference.
    I would pick Warwick, purely because I don't want to go to a London uni, and I prefer Warwick's campus.
    I agree, I chose to apply to Warwick and no London universities purely because I can't face living in London as a student
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    tbf its only worth doing ib for the experience so you can move to hedgefunding or asset management, ib is just the easiest to get into and then just use the experience to transfer to something a lot less intense - these are my thoughts but i'm hoping to get swayed to a set career path at uni itself
    Exactly! I aim to do IB for 2 years and then leave to go for CFA qualification whilst working at a hedgefund / Private Equity firm.... Assuming i get a place at an IB... and Assuming i get a 1st Class Hon BSC... also Assuming i get a sick SW / summer Week... hahaha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fha96)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Asset management maybe? Pay isn't much lower than that of FO investment bankers and the hours aren't as much of a madting either
    DASSAMADTING! Asset management is pretty interesting; espicially if you do it at a reputable place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    I agree, I chose to apply to Warwick and no London universities purely because I can't face living in London as a student
    Same.. Don't want my parents turning up uninvited on a Saturday morning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0PEL3SS)
    Same.. Don't want my parents turning up uninvited on a Saturday morning
    Ah I take it you live pretty near London then

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.