The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Phalanges

I don't get it. :unsure:

He was probably meant that spinning top Jews play with on Hanukkah.
Disturbia got lucky at court: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/sep/22/disturbia-plot-rear-window

I'm off to go and make a film about WWII which involves a family where 3 brothers are killed and so the US army decides to get the fourth out of there. But I'll also include many vacuous sub-plots which add nothing to the story and which nobody cares about so I can claim it as my own. Be back soon.
(edited 13 years ago)
Man I saw that story, load of crap. Just because it's not exactly the same in every single detail doesn't make it any less of a rip off.

Plus the name 'Disturbia' is a crime against film/humanity.
Seanisonfire
Man I saw that story, load of crap. Just because it's not exactly the same in every single detail doesn't make it any less of a rip off.

Plus the name 'Disturbia' is a crime against film/humanity.

Their hypocrisy on so many levels really pisses me off. In a lot of entertainment industries, the mainstream seems to perpetuate the idea that you can't copyright an idea, and uses this as an excuse just to take whatever they fancy without consequence. And yet you know that if an independent film tried to even loosely base their film on a concept owned by a big studio, the legal teams would swoop down on them so fast the film would most likely never make it out of post-production. This is a film that has made over $100m, and the studios are basically untouchable. It's impossible when you're watching it to not think of Rear Window.

Plus I can't comprehend how an industry which is trying to fight piracy can act in such shady ways themselves about copyright avoidance. You can't have it both ways.
Reply 2224
Phalanges

I won't be bothering. The Town and I'm Still Here are in cinemas, and both look far superior. Plus I don't really like Will Ferrell at all.

Saw a trailer for The Town it looks awesome :coma: :sogood:

I really want to watch that :yep:

Whens it out, anyone know?!
(edited 13 years ago)
kflynn
Saw a trailer for The Town it looks awesome :coma: :sogood:

I really want to watch that :yep:

Whens it out, anyone know?!

Today. :p:

I really want to see it as well, Ben Affleck is starting to show real promise as a director.
Reply 2226
Phalanges
Today. :p:

I really want to see it as well, Ben Affleck is starting to show real promise as a director.

Awesome :p:

He really he, Gone Baby Gone and State of Play (even though he didn't actually direct this :colondollar:) were both really good films. To be honest this one looks even better!
(edited 13 years ago)
Hitchcock on Grierson is on youtube in full (link). It's well worth a watch, both in terms of the subject and Hitchcock's wonderful voice (he opens with "My name is Alfred Hitchcock, and you may have heard of me." and has lines like "John is a Scot. This does not mean he wears a kilt" :awesome:).
(edited 13 years ago)
I hadn't heard of The Town until you guys mentioned it, looks really good.
(edited 13 years ago)
Ah yes I saw the trailer for that, but those masks did make me laugh.
80s action films are among the greats of cinema
I might watch Some Like It Hot over the weekend. I've never actually seen a Marilyn Monroe film yet.
I'm going to wait till the Bluray release before I buy the soundtrack. :coma:

Anybody got any film recommendations (none of IMDB's top 250. I've seen them all)?
vitamortis
Anybody got any film recommendations (none of IMDB's top 250. I've seen them all)?

Have you seen oldboy?
Ape Gone Insane
I'm going to wait till the Bluray release before I buy the soundtrack. :coma:

I love Time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xeHiTmx5AU
vitamortis

I'm A Cyborg
Crazy Heart
Reply 2238
Isn't Bertolucci's Il Conformista the most visually stunning and striking film you have ever seen???
dior
Isn't Bertolucci's Il Conformista the most visually stunning and striking film you have ever seen???

Seen? Never heard of it.. :holmes:

Latest