?
Report 9 years ago
Hello Singaporeans! Greetings from a fellow neighbour
BrilliantMinds
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wow a H3 student. That alone I think is enough manifestation of your abilities for you to enter st andrews! I can see from your profile and subject combination that you're an arts-inclined student. Why St andrews?
BrilliantMinds
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by asparkyn)
Hello Singaporeans! Greetings from a fellow neighbour
How does Hong Kong count as Singapore's neighbour? :K: Anyway, hello!
asparkyn
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BrilliantMinds)
How does Hong Kong count as Singapore's neighbour? :K: Anyway, hello!
It doesn't I've been studying in Malaysia for the past twelve years and I was born in Indonesia. I am a neighbour, no?
jmism
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wow a H3 student. That alone I think is enough manifestation of your abilities for you to enter st andrews! I can see from your profile and subject combination that you're an arts-inclined student. Why St andrews?
Haha thanks! St Andrews because I love that it's a small and quaint town - wanted to get a different living experience esp since Singapore is a city-state.
Also because the university is so old! - so much history about that place!
Last but not least, it's IR degree is the best in the entire UK! hahaha. Might as well get my money's worth right!

What are you applying for?
jmism
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It doesn't I've been studying in Malaysia for the past twelve years and I was born in Indonesia. I am a neighbour, no?
Hello! :wavey:
BrilliantMinds
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
St andrews also happens to related to my JC! (Hahaha just kidding!) I'm applying for Physics, as my UCAS 2011 has shows. I'm a year older than you, so I took my A levels last year
BrilliantMinds
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
haha if you say so!
superkinetic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jmism)
Haha thanks! St Andrews because I love that it's a small and quaint town - wanted to get a different living experience esp since Singapore is a city-state.
Also because the university is so old! - so much history about that place!
Last but not least, it's IR degree is the best in the entire UK! hahaha. Might as well get my money's worth right!
Initially I wanted to apply to St. Andrews too for Material Science. However, it'll take me 4 yrs to complete a bachelor degree, instead of 3 yrs in London and other unis.

St Andrews seems to be very strong in Arts and yup, its ancient look also appeals to me - it's the first Scotland uni! Though this uni is quite unheard of in my sch...
jmism
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by superkinetic)
Initially I wanted to apply to St. Andrews too for Material Science. However, it'll take me 4 yrs to complete a bachelor degree, instead of 3 yrs in London and other unis.

St Andrews seems to be very strong in Arts and yup, its ancient look also appeals to me - it's the first Scotland uni! Though this uni is quite unheard of in my sch...
Hmm for IR it's different 'cause it'll take 4 years to get a Masters degree. So it's more of a bargain :P. Hahaha. Are you applying this year too?

& yeap, St Andrews' not really known at my school too... It's a bit weird how inside teh UK it has a rep of being only second to Oxbridge, but according to world ranking its rank is after 100 o_O. Was wondering abt this.

Anybody knows why?
BrilliantMinds
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't trust the world rankings too much; instead trust yourself why you want to enter St. Andrews. To your question, you may want to look up the criteria in the ranking system.
dalvingill
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To fellow Singaporeans in the UK: How's the social life over there like? Is there racial prejudice against asians (or Singaporeans) in general? Who/where do you usually hang out at? I don't really see the point in going overseas to study if there's no genuine interaction with people over there in the university!
as long as you try fitting in there shouldn be a problem..theres not much racism in uni and most Unis have a diverse population
Jinkazama
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i don't have any expect ////
whitelily29
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
HELLO PEOPLE WHO LIVE ON THE SAME SOIL AS ME (:
Yay! I thought this site was purely UK people. Cool (:

So where are you guys heading off to?
Other than St Andrews.
Isaacchan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi guys,

i have a question regarding airfares...

i'm flying to manchester airport later on this year, and semi flexi emirates flight is SGD1450 thereabouts, with a SGD100 charge for changing dates(which i require since i dun exactly know when school ends).

However, i reversed the positions (instead of SIN MAN SIN) to MAN SIN MAN, and changed the site to the UK site, and to my surprise, the flights were MUCH cheaper!
it's £510 for a return trip, which translates to about SGD1.1k at a stretch.

a one way ticket to manchester will cost me about 810, which is about 100 more than if i booked a return tix.

moreover if i book in the uk, i can largely confirm the trip dates since i have the timetable...

would like you guy's opinion.

thanks.
BrilliantMinds
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Imperial hopeful here
whitelily29
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Isaacchan)
Hi guys,

i have a question regarding airfares...

i'm flying to manchester airport later on this year, and semi flexi emirates flight is SGD1450 thereabouts, with a SGD100 charge for changing dates(which i require since i dun exactly know when school ends).

However, i reversed the positions (instead of SIN MAN SIN) to MAN SIN MAN, and changed the site to the UK site, and to my surprise, the flights were MUCH cheaper!
it's £510 for a return trip, which translates to about SGD1.1k at a stretch.

a one way ticket to manchester will cost me about 810, which is about 100 more than if i booked a return tix.

moreover if i book in the uk, i can largely confirm the trip dates since i have the timetable...

would like you guy's opinion.

thanks.
That's actually really strange. I'm surprised Emirates is even that expensive in the first place. I would suggest booking in the UK, though I don't exactly understand your plan >.<
Isaacchan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by whitelily29)
That's actually really strange. I'm surprised Emirates is even that expensive in the first place. I would suggest booking in the UK, though I don't exactly understand your plan >.<
haha my plan is to fly one way to england, then subsequently book return tickets in UK, since I'm gonna be there for at least 7 years.
BrilliantMinds
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
sian. still no reply from imperial?!
whitelily29
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Isaacchan)
haha my plan is to fly one way to england, then subsequently book return tickets in UK, since I'm gonna be there for at least 7 years.
Yuppp! That would actually be a good idea. Maybe I should do that too. My friend actually told me that Emirates is much cheaper compared to SIA but it's similar standard to that of SIA.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (84)
29.07%
1 (47)
16.26%
2 (43)
14.88%
3 (41)
14.19%
4 (21)
7.27%
5 (21)
7.27%