Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    Wow. Pretty much everyone except me and one friend of mine has chosen to write about the ending of An Inspector Calls instead of Eric.

It was pretty simple, tbh - I was expecting a "nature" question to come up for OMaM, due to the paranoia around this thread. Slim was pretty easy to write about, so I expect the grade boundaries will be slightly higher than usual, unfortunately.
    Haha so was I.Can't remember who but someone said that nature was sure to come up instead of Slim and how Aqa wouldn't make it that predictable etc.so I had to revise over that in the last minute and that put me in for a lot of stress!

ReputationRep:
    I have a business studies exam at 9am and I've been revising for weeks now, but I'm just going over my notes and I can't remember exactly what national insurance contributions are a tax on? If someone could remind me that would be great (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Help! On the eric question I wrote about:
    - points in the question
    - how we first see the character
    - (went off track a little) how mr and mrs birling are characterised and how this creates eric's characterisation
    -accepting responsibility
    - interwined Priestley's message throughout

FORGOT TO MENTION STAGING! :'(

Mice and men I was really happy with section a but got waffly in section b. I wrote about:
    - Curley's discrimination of lennie
    -Curley's wife
    - Crook's discrimination and how it is only slim who actually respects him

ANY IDEAS WHAT MARKS I'D GET?!
    I'm really scared for this result

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    how was the exam? I heard it was about the beast - was that good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    the subjects i will e doing are not as varied as yours
    im going to do : maths, FM,AFM, bio,chem,physics
    ive already got an A in AS maths... so you could say 5 .. but i will finish the A-level next year hehe

the best guy that i know of did 8... he went to cambridge to do maths.. he got 5A* and 2 A's

im gob smacked lol

ryan
    how did you find the exam?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what came up in the january 2013 paper for the relationships cluster?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Quality not quantity guys I did just over 4 pages in the booklet, and I thought I did very well. Doing sunlight on the grass, TKAM, moon on the tides (poetry). Chose qn 1 (place cluster), doing My polish teachers tie and Compass and Torch. Naturally I chose qn 24 for TKAM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilacwanda28)
    how did you find the exam?
    i thought that the LOTF section was fairly straight forward
    there were 2 questions :
    one was : how does Golding present the beast..whats its significance
    the other : what is the importance of Ralph in the novel and the line ' something about the loss of innocence',, and how does it make you feel ?

I went for the second one since i thought that was easy,,, well i wrote a line on the beast question,, crossed it put and started planning again

im happy both my predictions for this part came true ... it will be the conch next year then
    i personally think i would have got abut 24/25 - out of 30...then about 3/4 for Spag

the OMAM section was a bit of a bummer
    the extract section was ok-ishhh but the context question was firly bad... i gave a fair few point but they were vague if you get what i mean?
    6.1 is link to the question
    6.2,6.3,6.4,6.5 is link to the text
    so i think i will a decent ark on that bar 6.1 grrrr
    over all for this im predicting about 19/20 - out of 30 and about 3/4 for spag again

so i think i have got around - 48/68 ... which isnt too bad i guess
    but i only got an average A in my C/A

do you remember how you felt after your exam?? - did you think you were going to get an A*,, or were you just quietly confident?

Ryan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chatty)
    I agree with you. We need to move on and stop worrying about what we've done today and start working on the poetry. Any ideas on what the relationship poems are going to be?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2357541

ReputationRep:
    i thought that the LOTF section was fairly straight forward
    there were 2 questions :
    one was : how does Golding present the beast..whats its significance
    the other : what is the importance of Ralph in the novel and the line ' something about the loss of innocence',, and how does it make you feel ?

I went for the second one since i thought that was easy,,, well i wrote a line on the beast question,, crossed it put and started planning again

im happy both my predictions for this part came true ... it will be the conch next year then
    i personally think i would have got abut 24/25 - out of 30...then about 3/4 for Spag

the OMAM section was a bit of a bummer
    the extract section was ok-ishhh but the context question was firly bad... i gave a fair few point but they were vague if you get what i mean?
    6.1 is link to the question
    6.2,6.3,6.4,6.5 is link to the text
    so i think i will a decent ark on that bar 6.1 grrrr
    over all for this im predicting about 19/20 - out of 30 and about 3/4 for spag again

so i think i have got around - 48/68 ... which isnt too bad i guess
    but i only got an average A in my C/A

do you remember how you felt after your exam?? - did you think you were going to get an A*,, or were you just quietly confident?

Ryan
    Wasn't the Ralph question focussing on the ending and how it makes you feel?

I took one look at it and decided I didn't know the book well enough to write an easy so managed to write about the beast but again don't know how well that went

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saywhatyoumean)
    Wasn't the Ralph question focussing on the ending and how it makes you feel?

I took one look at it and decided I didn't know the book well enough to write an easy so managed to write about the beast but again don't know how well that went

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i thought that the question was basically about how is the loss of innocence shown in the novel...an then i just supported it via examples of the decent to savagery
    i thought that it was just the wording of the question which was hard..
    and i dont think it said to focus on the ending... it was more about how you feel and stuff

i wrote a fair few good points though! - how was the beast question ... i didnt pick this since i actually havent read the whole book ... or OMAM in fact

pretty much everyone in my class picked the beast one... but i only did character analysis he day before and i knew more about ralph and characters to show their descent .. then the beast alone...

ryan

ReputationRep:
    i thought that the question was basically about how is the loss of innocence shown in the novel...an then i just supported it via examples of the decent to savagery
    i thought that it was just the wording of the question which was hard..
    and i dont think it said to focus on the ending... it was more about how you feel and stuff

i wrote a fair few good points though! - how was the beast question ... i didnt pick this since i actually havent read the whole book ... or OMAM in fact

pretty much everyone in my class picked the beast one... but i only did character analysis he day before and i knew more about ralph and characters to show their descent .. then the beast alone...

ryan
    Oh fair enough, see I didn't spend long enough analysing the question to decide

I think it went alright but I felt myself waffling

I talked about how the beast is a common enemy so jack and Ralph stay together for longer than they would've done without it
    And how the beast is symbolic of fear and mention how jack uses it to insinuate fear but didn't have any quotations for it, oops
    And a couple of other points like the whole Simon 'what if it's us'

Yeah I haven't read the whole book either so it was complete luck that a good question came up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allconfused)
    Help! On the eric question I wrote about:
    - points in the question
    - how we first see the character
    - (went off track a little) how mr and mrs birling are characterised and how this creates eric's characterisation
    -accepting responsibility
    - interwined Priestley's message throughout

FORGOT TO MENTION STAGING! :'(

Mice and men I was really happy with section a but got waffly in section b. I wrote about:
    - Curley's discrimination of lennie
    -Curley's wife
    - Crook's discrimination and how it is only slim who actually respects him

ANY IDEAS WHAT MARKS I'D GET?!
    I'm really scared for this result

Posted from TSR Mobile

there's no way to really know.... you'll get an A* if you:

1. Show engagement with the text, that is, you have though hard about it
    2. you give a detailed & relevant response to contexts (section B)
    3. Analyse detail closely & come up with alternative interpretations
    4. evaluate the effects of language on the readers - meaning you state the linguistic method e.g. imagery, and state the effects on the readers in detail and also decide which of the alternative interpretations you believe in

ReputationRep:
    Did someone do the IC first question about the end if the novel as want to discuss with someone

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how many marks context was worth in that exam and if you talked a bit about in section a, would that still count?

Also, I remember talking about how slim treats curley's wife and crooks equally and how the others call curley's wife by different names and don't show respect...however, I don't remember talking about how society would have treated them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moodavies106)
    Did someone do the IC first question about the end if the novel as want to discuss with someone

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I did that one!

ReputationRep:
    Come on guys, predictions for the named poems on the relationship cluster! Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popburrow)
    Come on guys, predictions for the named poems on the relationship cluster! Any ideas?
    If I were to guess, I think it'd be Sonnet 116 and THCM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabz_x)
    Thank you
    Quick question: someone mentioned earlier on that ''Brendon Gallacher'' ''The ruined maid'' and ''give'' are foundation poems.. so wont be coming up in the higher paper, but can they still be used for comparison?
    Definitely, you can choose any of the 15 in the cluster to compare it with

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do TOKAM and TTV for Monday

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.