Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    #Arsenal team to play @AS_Monaco: Ospina, Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Coquelin, Cazorla, Sanchez, Ozil, Welbeck, Giroud

#Arsenal subs: Szczesny, Gabriel, Monreal, Chambers, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott #AFCvMON

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Arsenal have won 1 trophy in the last 10 seasons (the same number as Spurs), I don't see why you're turning your nose up at it?

It's hardly the Premier or Champions League but a trophy is a trophy.
    Trophy is a trophy that's not the issue. The issue is how much which club celebrates it to an extent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    #Arsenal team to play @AS_Monaco: Ospina, Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Coquelin, Cazorla, Sanchez, Ozil, Welbeck, Giroud

#Arsenal subs: Szczesny, Gabriel, Monreal, Chambers, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott #AFCvMON
    Mesut in the middle

Expecting big things from him

Gibbo back in the team as well, no Flamini on the bench as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    Mesut in the middle

Expecting big things from him

Gibbo back in the team as well, no Flamini on the bench as well
    A fit Debuchy and Walcott for Welbz and that is probably our strongest team.

Excited for this one, hope we don't flop!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    It gets worse btw.

Jfc. That's so embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    A fit Debuchy and Walcott for Welbz and that is probably our strongest team.

Excited for this one, hope we don't flop!
    Dunno, Walcott does not track back. Welbz in the big game is important, his work ethic is sooooo good.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Trophy is a trophy that's not the issue. The issue is how much which club celebrates it to an extent
    Was the FA Cup last year any different though?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm will be interesting to see Cazorla play in the middle, he's done his defensive work well but not sure he's good enough in a big champions league game to play CM. I would have played either Ozil or Cazorla not both. I guess there wasn't any other option with Ramsey injured.

Also playing Ospina in this game is quite a snub to Szczesny.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    That's just ****ing stupid even as a joke

Posted from TSR Mobile
    calm down lmao
    don't get a hard on cos of a joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    Dunno, Walcott does not track back. Welbz in the big game is important, his work ethic is sooooo good.
    I like welbz and Giroud cos they are tall and can actually win headers in our penalty box when the opponents have a free kick or corner.

ReputationRep:
    I predict 2-1 to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Was the FA Cup last year any different though?

It was of significance yes and was celebrated, but hardly anyone's been taking it out of proportion. We saw the trophy as evidence that the club was moving forward that year (and we sort of were with the Ozil signing etc) so thought it was the first step to push on.

Anyways all I said was that Spurs would release a book about the League cup and Chelsea wouldn't care if they did win it instead. Not really an outrageous statement is it :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Match thread or..?

ReputationRep:
    There's no point having a match thread tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Match thread or..?

please no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    No point starting Theo yet. Yes, he scores goals, but almost every other area of his play is lacking. It was highlighted in the Spurs game, when there was an inch-perfect pass played to him as he was on the break. Pre-injury Theo would have taken it and scored, whereas current Theo just miscontrolled it and back-heeled it to a Spurs defender. His awareness and ability to make runs is why he is currently our best impact player, but his game isn't rounded enough to justify his inclusion over Welbeck in the starting lineup.
    I don't mind if Theo doesn't give as much on the rest of the pitch if it means he acts as our 2nd striker. Thing is Giroud tracks back quite a bit so I see that as compensating for him. Trust me, possession battles and dominance over the midfield can be won with or without Theo so I wouldn't go on to blame the lack of control in the midfield solely down to Theo. Regardless of his miscontrolled touches or wide shots, he's still more likely to put the ball into the net then Welbeck is. Look back at our matches when we used Welbeck as our main striker and see how little he scored chance after chance. UTD and City (home) game comes to mind.

Theo has been great on the counter too and we've been countering more often. Just because Welbeck has a high work rate doesn't mean he should be prioritised over Walcott, it's ridiculous.

(Original post by Arkasia)
    Coquelin has been in decline because he is essentially doing the job of two people. Wenger has stuck Cazorla next to him because Arteta, Wilshere and Ramsey are out, and Cazorla has a propensity to go forward, whereas Ramsey and Wilshere often remain further back. When Arteta returns, he can either replace Coquelin or partner him, which will give Coq a rest. You might say he is declining, but the fact is that he is still first choice for any first team game, regardless of injuries.

Also, our style of play has changed, as you mentioned, which is affecting him. We play defensively, countering fast and in numbers, which means when we counter, the entire midfield tends to run forwards, as well as the fullbacks, and this includes Coquelin moving past the half-way line. Each game he still makes the most interceptions and challenges, so we cannot say he is declining, but his impact is changing because many of these challenges are when he is running back into his own half, which can often give away a foul.

When Wilshere and Ramsey are in the first team, we can play possession football AND play defensively, so Coquelin can just sit in front of Mertesacker and Koscielny, and not worry about going forward at all, and when partnered with Arteta we will be able to play a similar (although not as effective) game style to Chelsea, with a defensive midfield pairing, as well as pacy wingers and a big target man up front.
    Nonsense. His decline isn't solely due to that. The game where I can remember this was true was Tottenham away where I think he had a decent game but as you said he was overcompensating for the lack of control else where. Regardless of that one match he's started to look sloppy and inconsistent. Flamini had some big performances for us this season and last, it doesn't make him a good player when stretched out for the season and Coquelin is starting to show the same signs. Just because he makes the most interceptions and challenges doesn't make him any better considering most of our midfielders are attacking focused??

Coquelin Arteta I just don't see working at all. It would mean we'd have to bench Ramsey/Wilshere and I doubt Wenger ever would. Not to say I dissaprove of Coquelin nor am I calling him a bad player just yet, but I'm saying this "honeymoon period" we've had of him is starting to fade.

ReputationRep:
    COYG

ReputationRep:
    Let's ****ing do this
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    Come on arsenal!

ReputationRep:
    COYG

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.