The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Stoke on paper are probably the weakest team in that draw.

We should beat them over two legs.
Original post by samir12
Ibe too now, Origi officially gets the third goal so all black goal scorers. I'm sure Jam would be proud too.

Quite obvious to see say why Chelsea are doing so poorly this season and why Willian has been BY FAR the best player in the Chelsea team.
Original post by The.Joker
3-1 :lol:

We haven't played anywhere near to the best of our abilities but I'll take that!
Scoring another 2/3 goals in the second half would be nice.

Original post by Lúcio
you don't ask for much do you?

Original post by Zerforax
I'll take going through without any injuries..

Say what lads? :tongue:

I really enjoyed that second half, great for Origi to get that hat trick! Also Sturridge is fantastic, such a shame he's made out of glass. Honestly, we are completely transformed under Klopp. If that was under BR I highly doubt we would have had the belief and character to come back and smash the team.

I hope we have a Merseyside derby final. That would be so tasty. :biggrin:
This result just shows you how much of a fraud Rodgers was.
Just found out the Carling cup final falls on my bday! I'd love to watch Liverpool v Everton in the final at Wembley... :moon:
Original post by The.Joker
Just found out the Carling cup final falls on my bday! I'd love to watch Liverpool v Everton in the final at Wembley... :moon:

It's the Carling cup, half the stadium will be empty so won't be too hard
We should certainly beat Stoke, especially over 2 legs.

I mean I guess we did think the same last season against Villa but I'm much more confident with Klopp this time around.

It's a real shame because Rodgers gave us our best season since the Rafa era so I feel a little bad for him now that Klopp has literally taken his failing side and made it quality and all it does it make Rodgers look worse and worse every week.

Let's not get too hyped though - there's a long way to go and the players will have been really enthused by a new manager coming in. That won't last forever so additional players are certainly required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What a result.

Don't get me wrong, in isolation, this performance is magnificent. But what makes it better is the context. We saw Lallana and Lovren - two of our most-maligned players across the last season or so - travel to their former club tonight, and the duo were mercifully hounded and booed from minute one.

Lallana put in a masterful performance. I honestly thought he was superb. It was undoubtedly one of his finest games in a Reds shirt. He was beating players effortlessly, seemed a yard or two quicker than usual, and didn't shrink in the face of adversity. He didn't allow the home fans at St. Mary's to shatter his confidence. He merely lapped up the boos and just ran riot. What a great sight.

It was even more impressive given our opening 20 minutes. I thought we struggled to match Southampton's pace and intensity, with little pressing and urgency. In truth, Randall probably had one of the worst individual performances inside that 20 minutes as I've ever seen. It ran Brad Smith's debut at Chelsea close. Tadic had his number, was beating him inside out, and drew a booking after Randall resorted to shoving him in the face! Can can be blamed for the opener, too, as he was turned inside out far too easily. Saints should have been out of sight a few minutes later, but their header was straight down Bogdan's throat.

From there, we never looked back. We saw the confidence ooze out of us, and we were aided by some dreadful Saints defending. van Dijk - who has been a great signing for Koeman - was poor, and Caulker allowed our front-line far too much respect and the pair consistently sat off and allowed Sturridge, Origi and the attacking midfielders time and room to probe and punish.

Sturridge's two finishes were excellent, but so were the assists. Allen and Can's balls were just perfectly weighted, and found the gaps in style. Sturridge did well with his finishes, and it was great to see him turn his face up at being withdrawn on two goals. He'd have loved a hat-trick, but beggars can't be choosers. He had a great run out and did his job. He's easily our best striking option when fully fit. He just needs to get there consistently.

As for Origi... well, what a transformation. The man looked poor against Carlisle and Bournemouth in the cup earlier this year, but tonight he seems to have taken on a new lease of life with his second goal being absolutely perfect. What a strike. Smith delivered the third on a sixpence for him to tuck away, and I was disappointed Moreno couldn't claim the first because I think he deserves a goal after the month he has had.

In truth, I think Moreno has been our unsung hero of November. He often doesn't deliver enough in each penalty box, with defensive lapses and a penchant for overhit crosses, but a goal tonight would have changed that and added to his numbers. Again, he wasn't alive to Mane's header and it was reminiscent of the Chelsea opener at Stamford Bridge. Moreno seemed asleep.

Just another word on Smith. I thought he would never make the grade after the aforementioned Chelsea game, but he shone tonight and seemed a real find at left-back. He can easily deputise for Moreno if the Spaniard is injured and Gomez is still absent, so there's no need to rely on Jose Enrique thankfully. Randall, too, grew into the game and showed glimpses of promise once he calmed down and Saints stopped targeting him. He'll get used to that. Gerrard was targeted by Ginola on his debut and was played off the park. Tonight will be a learning curve for him.

Aside from matters on the pitch, a few things pleased me tonight: Klopp's giggling at full-time, Henderson's celebration on the touch-line with the manager, and the "Adam Lallana, he's winning 6-1" chant...
Origi has scored more goals in one game than Martial has scored in 2 months.
Worth remembering we only had seven shots on target tonight. Six of them went in. That's absolutely clinical from us, and not something we've seen since 2013-14. In truth, Stekelenburg could have done better with Sturridge's second, and Origi's first, and probably Ibe's, but he wasn't helped by the defensive duo in front of him. van Dijk and Caulker were piss poor.

Spoiler

We were never clinical in 13-14, Suarez racked up 7 shots a game himself.
Exciting, but home form needs sorting.

He cost £32m, guarantees 1 in 2 and wonder goals at that, is one of the best headers in PL history, but Benteke is a distinct 3rd choice.

The main task for Klopp is how to incorporate more penetration without losing stability in our home games.
Reply 2233
Well that was a fairly decent result.

Their goal was typical Moreno really, beaten far too easily at the far post not for the first time. Can was also beaten too easily by Bertrand, and maybe Randall should have done more to close him down after Can was beaten, but Moreno was the main culprit.

Randall struggled much of the game tbh, he didn't do anything too horrific but I don't think there is much to suggest he'll ever be a first team player, I think he is there purely because we have no one else rather than any thought on him being one for the future. I think this is the first game Clyne has missed all season, he needed a rest.

The assists by Allen, Can and Smith were top notch... Ibe's and Moreno's (to Ibe) weren't too bad either.

All in all, I think you know it's going to be a good day when your 5th choice striker gets a hat trick. It would be harsh to drop him now, I'd stick with him and Sturridge for the weekend.
The whole essence of nurturing young players is staggering their playing time to meet their needs, and preventing them from losing confidence by playing them in games that don't suit them. Playing **** in games they're not ready for doesn't build character, it destroys confidence and careers. In any case, Origi has had enough of that in the last 18 months. His second goal embodies him as a player, and the third was despatched in a predatorial manner that we haven't seen from him at LFC. That's what confidence gives, and making him wait to unleash that confidence is the best thing Klopp could do right now. Giving him games thick and fast is not a good idea; giving him time to reflect and refocus is. He's not good enough to make a regular impact yet (saying this as one of his few backers throughout the season) and a poor game or two could wipe out all the ego and confidence he built up just now.

Starting Origi at the weekend would be madness.
Original post by Gob Bluth
Origi has scored more goals in one game than Martial has scored in 2 months.

Blah blah league cup blah blah Mickey Mouse tournament etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dirtybit
Who will finish above us apart from Arsenal and City?

Liverpool and Spurs are both capable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Liverpool and Spurs are both capable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't this typical of both sides though?

Spurs occasionally have amazing periods but ultimately fail, and Liverpool have "best in the league" form once per season. Admittedly that was under Rodgers, but even so I'm not getting carried away just yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Exciting, but home form needs sorting.

He cost £32m, guarantees 1 in 2 and wonder goals at that, is one of the best headers in PL history, but Benteke is a distinct 3rd choice.

The main task for Klopp is how to incorporate more penetration without losing stability in our home games.

Third choice behind Sturridge, and then a false nine, presumably? I don't think anybody seriously suggests Origi is ahead of him in the pecking order, do they?

Benteke will really struggle to ever get ahead of Sturridge in the pecking order, regardless of fee. Sturridge's style suits Klopp all the more (you can tell how impressed and enamoured Klopp was with Sturridge's ability post-match) and he is a typical number nine who wins football matches.

A number 9 is so crucial, and we have seen that to varying degrees this year. Man United won the 2012-13 title because of RVP, and if you put a number nine who could regularly dispatch goals in their side now, you wouldn't be hearing the dissent that we are currently from the United fans.
Sturridge showed yesterday why selling him is madness. He's had 12 months of disastrous fitness, but keeping faith and see him even with 3 months of quality like that is worth it in the long run. You don't sell your best players unless there is 3 or 4 seasons of playing single figure amount of games in each season of which it is then something to consider.

Latest