Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    for decision making section do we actually need to answer the questions as the mark does not go to the universities, so contemplating weather its worth even looking at it????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    SO i did the offical UKCAT A mock yesterday and messed it up, didnt finish and got avg of 600. Today i learnt from that mistake and was brutal on my timings and flagged any i didnt know and got avg of 733 in Medify mock 2 (i know they are easier) I'm all over the place with my scoring!? dunnno if im ready lol
    Wow that is great improvement! If only I could do the same :bawling:. So by being strict with the timing did you manage to complete each section and go back to the questions you flagged and answer them? Also in terms of timings, you didn't spend over 30 secs for each question in VR and QR right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloewhitexox)
    Ive just completed one of the mocks on the UKCAT website. For situational judgement i scored 38/69, i know this is a poor score but this was the first mock test i have completed. Any idea how to calculate what banding this score would lie in as i have been using the kaplan score sheet for the other sections but cannot find any recourses to score my SJ. Thanks
    I don't think counting it like this is representable of the way they mark SJ test in the actual exam as you get a few points for a partially correct answer as well (i.e. if you choose inappropriate but not awful and the answer was very inappropriate you won't get full marks but you will get some because you were close). The mocks in the official site just count the correct and incorrect answers so you can't really calculate an exact score. In the medify mocks they tell you the band. I got band 2 for my first mock and I had gotten 35 correct, 20 partially correct and 14 wrong. So that's about where a band 2 lies I guess.

Good luck with your practising and your exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rower24242424)
    for decision making section do we actually need to answer the questions as the mark does not go to the universities, so contemplating weather its worth even looking at it????
    You could answer it to keep yourself in exam mode and avoid getting off focus but you don't have to. You could just attempt some questions if you want but you don't really have to stress about it.

ReputationRep:
    I've got my ukcat tomorrow and ive been getting around 650 avg for my mocks.... Is the real exam easier?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done Kaplan mock test 2? Slightly worried because I only got 2090.

ReputationRep:
    I always have about 14 mins left in the sjt section after I finished all the questions. What should I do in this time or should I slow down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    Anyone done Kaplan mock test 2? Slightly worried because I only got 2090.
    Sounds about right, I got 2,080. Test 5 is brutal with QR though

ReputationRep:
    I have continued to get progressively worse in my mocks.... tomorrow may just be a very sad day. On the plus side, the only section which has stayed consistent is VR which will hopefully work in my favour with that being the hardest section in the real thing.
    Did anyone else find the AR in mock C RIDICULOUS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    Sounds about right, I got 2,080. Test 5 is brutal with QR though
    I find the Kaplan QR in general quite difficult. What did you get in the first mock? Also, how are you finding the AR in these mocks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candy2511)
    hi guys
    I sat my UKCAT today and am unsure of the results..
    I got:
    VR 540
    QR 740
    AR 690
    SJ band 1
    Average 657
    will this score be of disadvantage to me?
    Congratulations on your score! Your score is around/slightly above average, so it puts you in a comfortable position for most universities. Just avoid UKCAT heavy universities, and if you feel you can do well in it, maybe consider applying to a BMAT university?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else find Medify's SJ a bit odd?

ReputationRep:
    Advice anyone? I have now booked my ukcat for 15th September, I haven't started any revision at all, is it too late? Or to early? And what are the best strategies for revision. All help appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Got 680, band 3.
    What implications does this have for me? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skhuram99)
    Advice anyone? I have now booked my ukcat for 15th September, I haven't started any revision at all, is it too late? Or to early? And what are the best strategies for revision. All help appreciated
    No, it's okay, you have exactly a month which is just enough. You could attempt some questions in the official UKCAT site (http://practice.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/me...2-3d5a3692550f) and look at your weaknesses. Then, you could buy a subsctiption to medify.co.uk which is an online platform that simulates the style of the exam. You could also by the 1000 UKCAT questions book by ISC medical although the questions are way too hard compared to the questions you are likely to get. Other good books are the one by Kaplan and " Mastering the UKCAT" by Dr Nordstrom. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask me any questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoshBosh)
    9 days to go for me, kinda nervous still! wbu?
    Mines on the 24th too! Which centre are you sitting it in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    Congratulations on your score! Your score is around/slightly above average, so it puts you in a comfortable position for most universities. Just avoid UKCAT heavy universities, and if you feel you can do well in it, maybe consider applying to a BMAT university?
    Thanks for the advice
    I was initially planning on applying to Kings, Barts the london, UEA and Imperial. but after doing the UKCAT, I am reconsidering my options..
    Now I am thinking along the lines of Nottingham, Sheffield, UEA and imperial. I am cautious of applying to more than one BMAT university as I am unsure of the result..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candy2511)
    Thanks for the advice
    I was initially planning on applying to Kings, Barts the london, UEA and Imperial. but after doing the UKCAT, I am reconsidering my options..
    Now I am thinking along the lines of Nottingham, Sheffield, UEA and imperial. I am cautious of applying to more than one BMAT university as I am unsure of the result..
    I'm applying to UEA as well!
    Also, you might want to have a quick look over the Nottingham scoring system, just to make sure you get a sufficiently high score
    I think you may have a chance at Barts if you have a high UCAS tariff, but I'm not certain, I've never really considered them
    But other than that, your choices sound good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    I find the Kaplan QR in general quite difficult. What did you get in the first mock? Also, how are you finding the AR in these mocks?
    AR is good, I get 700-730 at the moment due to time pressure. Without, I usually get 780 so it's just adapting to the 13 minute limit. However I got 570 in the third test which was when I started to properly time myself.

My first mock I got 670, 670, 700. Personally I'm not a fan of Kaplan's mocks. Medify and the official ones are so much better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    AR is good, I get 700-730 at the moment due to time pressure. Without, I usually get 780 so it's just adapting to the 13 minute limit. However I got 570 in the third test which was when I started to properly time myself.

My first mock I got 670, 670, 700. Personally I'm not a fan of Kaplan's mocks. Medify and the official ones are so much better
    Isnt Medify meant to be easier than the actual exam, though?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.