Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Think it's fine to discuss now.

ReputationRep:
    Whoah.
    Yeh i ****ed it up.
    Probs missed S and got high 1 cause i did ****ing Q3 the trivial question with like 5 mins left so shudve tried that instead of Q7 as it was an easy extra 10-15 marks wudve had me over the line

Posted from TSR Mobile

Step is over!!!

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe I didn't get the last part of 8, I made all the transformations with f(x) = 1/(1-x) using fff(x) = x and just didn't subtract 2 equations :|

went well tho, 4 fulls 2 good partials, not as good as step 2 but what can u do

ReputationRep:
    Messed that up big time. 2 fulls, 1 almost full (similar to strangebanana in Q8), and 2 partials.

Any idea what the boundaries will be for 1 and S?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure I have a mid 1 in STEP III (was expecting a scraped S when I came out but one of my solutions was fundamentally flawed, Q8 - I guessed h(x) and verified it as well as just plugging in g(x) and verified it instead of deriving them, pretty sure that loses me all the marks. FML. Got the last bit of Q4 wrong as well.)

Don't really mind the 1, but the 2 in STEP II is a massive downer.

ReputationRep:
    Not a single full but 4 good partials in 3,4,6,8 (and parts of 1 and 2), I'm thinking close to the 1/2 boundary probably, how did people think that paper compares to previous years?

ReputationRep:
    Well for me STEP 3 didnt go too well (I think I could have done much better). Here's how it went:

Q1 : My first question and I completed it (correctly I hope). The last part was a little tricky but I got through to the end of the induction.

Q8: Did (i) and (ii) without trouble - but couldnt do (iii)

Q3: Did it completely (used product rule and stuff I hope none of my arguments were flawed...)

Q11: I thought the question wouldnt give me too much trouble but it did - I think I used correct methods in both (i) and (ii) but I didnt get the required answer in either No idea why maybe some careless errors in integration - who knows?

At this point I had little time left and so my next questions were not done well.

Q6: Did the intro, (i), (ii) and hopefully (iii) isnt wrong. Couldnt do (iv) I hope there are no errors in (i), (ii) or the intro either but i cant be sure.

Q4: Tried using the method of differences but didnt get anywhere good .

Q2: Wrote down equations of normals tried to equate a couple equations or so but got nowehere tbh.

Horrible second half for me I'd say - I would highly appreciate an estimate. Thanks

After next week's exams finish, will someone start a 'Post STEP uni preparation thread' for all the mathmos out there self teaching themselves the tripos lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    After next week's exams finish, will someone start a 'Post STEP uni preparation thread' for all the mathmos out there self teaching themselves the tripos lol
    I was so looking forward to that (typically called "A Summer of Maths (ASoM)" btw) but then I realised I missed my offer and I don't want to do any maths anymore. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on the paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gunawardana)
    Well for me STEP 3 didnt go too well (I think I could have done much better). Here's how it went:
    Should be a low 1.

ReputationRep:
    Step III had me panicking in the exam! Managed to get out 4 fulls and a couple of partials though so I should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I was so looking forward to that (typically called "A Summer of Maths (ASoM)" btw) but then I realised I missed my offer and I don't want to do any maths anymore. :lol:
    lol same there is an appropriately 0% chance that I have made my offer

Just do maths that you'll never see on a STEP paper again. I want to learn some group theory over the summer.
    :drool:

Just do maths that you'll never see on a STEP paper again. I want to learn some group theory over the summer.
    :drool:
    Group theory is niiice

Btw, you would see group theory on a STEP paper - just look at the old style papers

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Group theory is niiice

Btw, you would see group theory on a STEP paper - just look at the old style papers
    I know, I meant that it won't come up in the future. Well, not in the near future.

I know, I meant that it won't come up in the future. Well, not in the near future.
    There won't be a future, we voted for Brexit

ReputationRep:
    Should be a low 1.
    Yeah that was what I was thinking - should have seen what to do in Q8 (iii) and maybe should have tried Q9 (looked doable but I assumed I wouldnt have enough time to get myself into a mechanics Q at that point )

But yeah I'll probably end up with 1,1,1 which should be a satisfying ending to STEP. I have no Cambridge offer though (and Imperial's offer doesnt ask for STEP) so I guess for the most part STEP was a challenge (while also being part of my insurance offer from Warwick - but they needed a 1 in any paper if i didnt get a further maths A* - otherwise they wanted a 2 in any paper) and I think I enjoyed the whole process of preparing and sitting the exam - if nothing else I sure have encountered some amazing maths

Good luck with your Cambridge Offer - I hope you got what you needed (and did better than you expected)
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    There won't be a future, we voted for Brexit
    we?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.