Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightly)
    you dont round based on the closest value lol
    who says? this rule is taught in many schools including mine. i used this rule in every past paper and mock and real exam and got it right. so there is no determined method for trial and improvement. the answer may well have been 3.8 or 3.7, but thats not to say this method is wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    who says? this rule is taught in many schools including mine. i used this rule in every past paper and mock and real exam and got it right. so there is no determined method for trial and improvement. the answer may well have been 3.8 or 3.7, but thats not to say this method is wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    IF x = 3.7 and it is too small and x = 3.75 and that is also too small, that means the answer has to be above that to 1.dp which is 3.8

ReputationRep:
    I worried that putting cm in q3 might lose me a mark. Hopefully it doesnt matter either way.

ReputationRep:
    If the 3.7 way is taught, and so is the 3.8 way, then fingers crossed everyone who showed working will get the marks no matter which value they chose.

ReputationRep:
    IF x = 3.7 and it is too small and x = 3.75 and that is also too small, that means the answer has to be above that to 1.dp which is 3.8
    well thats the point i dont know what theyll be like when it comes to marking. i agree with you but i still believe it could be either. remember in bounds questions where the upper bound of 3.7 to 2dp was 3.75? thats where this comes to play. however i dont think it would be this complicated. in previous mark schemes both methods have been credited so seeing as one returns one value and the other another, technically both answers will be credited. but we will never know until an OFFICIAL mark scheme is published. good luck in your results hope you got the grade you wanted!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonbunny)
    I worried that putting cm in q3 might lose me a mark. Hopefully it doesnt matter either way.
    it wont. x is not measured in units. hence why diagrams normally say x cm and not just x. the question was too complex to be 3 marks with units anyway. for the non calc, you were given 3 marks for multiplying and units, but in this paper you actually had to solve an equation!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    well thats the point i dont know what theyll be like when it comes to marking. i agree with you but i still believe it could be either. remember in bounds questions where the upper bound of 3.7 to 2dp was 3.75? thats where this comes to play. however i dont think it would be this complicated. in previous mark schemes both methods have been credited so seeing as one returns one value and the other another, technically both answers will be credited. but we will never know until an OFFICIAL mark scheme is published. good luck in your results hope you got the grade you wanted!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I used to ALWAYS apply the same method you do and see which is closer and I would ALWAYS lose a mark doing so.

ReputationRep:
    I used to ALWAYS apply the same method you do and see which is closer and I would ALWAYS lose a mark doing so.
    well okay thats you, but i did it in the June 2015 exam and got 4/4. i dont know if that was your teachers marking or an actual examiner though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This trial and improvement question has probably sparked one of the biggest discussions on TSR lol. I put 3.8 which I'm pretty sure is right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    well okay thats you, but i did it in the June 2015 exam and got 4/4. i dont know if that was your teachers marking or an actual examiner though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You probably got the full marks because you got lucky and it turns out the answer you rounded to was actually correct.

ReputationRep:
    You probably got the full marks because you got lucky and it turns out the answer you rounded to was actually correct.
    well thanks.... anyway at the end of the day. whats written is written and it wont effect the grade unless youve found yourself on the grade boundary which is slightly unlucky and horrible (ots happened to me before)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    well thanks.... anyway at the end of the day. whats written is written and it wont effect the grade unless youve found yourself on the grade boundary which is slightly unlucky and horrible (ots happened to me before)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah true. I'm just stressing because I got around 76 in the non-calc and around 90 in the calc seeing myself around the A* grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah true. I'm just stressing because I got around 76 in the non-calc and around 90 in the calc seeing myself around the A* grade boundaries.
    im sure you did it. plus you probably picked up more method marks than you though! i wish you luck hoping u get ur A*. i got 166 last year and A* was 167 so its horrible how it feels. but this time ive counted around 184 so hopefullyl im well in there.. good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    G

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovedMasterMike)
    I guess thats true Thanks. After all an A is not that bad and I wanna do Maths for A-level.
    Yeah exactly as long as you know what you're capable of don't let one grade stop you from achieving more than you can, good luck for the future

ReputationRep:
    Was Colin's car 42.28 or 42.29?!!!

ReputationRep:
    I did 145/1000 X 1.80 and got 0.261. How many marks out of 3 would be lost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.nevitable)
    I got 80.4 degrees but I don't remember using negative reciprocal of cos...
    You can also use sine rule

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avin101Agiggle)
    Attachment 547747
    I shouldn't be doing this so early on a Saturday
    When you put 3.7 into the equation, the answer is too low. When you put 3.8 into the equation, the answer is too high. When you put 3.75 into the equation, it is too low. This means that the answer is between 3.75 and 3.8, which means no matter what number it is between those 2 numbers, they will always round up to 3.8 to 1 decimal place.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Ikilliloot;65662011]Your actually wrong the answer is in fact, 3.7.

Stop embarrassing yourself, it is a grade C question. When you put 3.7 into the equation, the answer is too low. When you put 3.8 into the equation, the answer is too high. When you put 3.75 into the equation, it is too low. This means that x is between 3.75 and 3.8. This means that no matter what number x is between 3.75 and 3.8, they will always round up to 3.8 to 1 decimal place. Stop answering back when you're not sure about the answer and learn from people who know the correct answer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.