Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eurovision Song Contest 2011 Society Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just got told by friends that Azerbaijan won. I replied honestly and instantly, 'what? but Azerbaijan isn't European'. There is debates on Turkey being European. But Azerbaijan! okay then, whatever you say Eurovision. Just what does it mean to be European then? is Iran European too? Eurovision has ruined my limited geography knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    So the worst live performance wins. That makes sense. They shouldn't allow voting before all the songs have been performed. The performance lacked the passion the song was about. Italy are the true winners.

ReputationRep:
    So next year it's gonna be in Azerbaijan... Who the hell is going to travel to THAT country... Do they even have big music arenas? Sad Europe.... voting for a country which isn't even in Europe...

ReputationRep:
    Was i the only one that liked Spain's entry...they suffered the same fate as Portugal's entry in 2009 .

ReputationRep:
    How on earth they won..?? Did they pay people to vote for them or something..? There were like 20 better songs in this final..

ReputationRep:
    It's good fun.

ReputationRep:
    For the last time about people saying OMFG azerbaijan is not in europe, we know it's just the song contest is decided on EUROPEAN BROADCASTING BOUNDARIES - hence Israel can enter and have won previously :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yunghamz)
    Was i the only one that liked Spain's entry...they suffered the same fate as Portugal's entry in 2009 .

Nope, I loved Spain too...

(Original post by morris743)
      Dislike.
      Heat of the moment, my dear friend.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by natty_d)
      For the last time about people saying OMFG azerbaijan is not in europe, we know it's just the song contest is decided on EUROPEAN BROADCASTING BOUNDARIES - hence Israel can enter and have won previously :facepalm2:
      Yeh and who made these boundaries? Money money money...........

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
      Heat of the moment, my dear friend.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by shutthedoor)
      How on earth they won..?? Did they pay people to vote for them or something..? There were like 20 better songs in this final..
      must be Europes weird taste in music

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Reformed2010)
      I just got told by friends that Azerbaijan won. I replied honestly and instantly, 'what? but Azerbaijan isn't European'. There is debates on Turkey being European. But Azerbaijan! okay then, whatever you say Eurovision. Just what does it mean to be European then? is Iran European too? Eurovision has ruined my limited geography knowledge.
      I think it's more about being part of European Broadcasting Union than being European. That is why Israel is taking part, and technically Morocco, Libya... could do it too, but they don't want to because of Israel.

It doesn't matter which song won imo, I'm putting Denmark and Finland on my mp3 player anyway

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by nightmare91)
      So next year it's gonna be in Azerbaijan... Who the hell is going to travel to THAT country... Do they even have big music arenas? Sad Europe.... voting for a country which isn't even in Europe...
      I just don't understand how Azerbaijan is considered European. No one would see Iran as European, why Azerbaijan? Its like having an North America pop idol and then letting Mexico win. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      100 points - 10 times better than 2010, not too bad

Hope we actually win it in 2010. Have Girls aloud perform or somethingg

**** off. :mad:

ReputationRep:
        Yeh and who made these boundaries? Money money money...........
        The "European Broadcasting Area" is bounded on the west by the western boundary of Region 1 (see below), on the east by the meridian 40° East of Greenwich and on the south by the parallel 30° North so as to include the western part of the USSR, the northern part of Saudi Arabia and that part of those countries bordering the Mediterranean within these limits. In addition, Iraq, Jordan and that part of the territory of Turkey lying outside the above limits are included in the European Broadcasting Area.

Turkey and Russia have most of their land outside these areas... so....

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Shadowplay)
        I think it's more about being part of European Broadcasting Union than being European. That is why Israel is taking part, and technically Morocco, Libya... could do it too, but they don't want to because of Israel.

It doesn't matter which song won imo, I'm putting Denmark and Finland on my mp3 player anyway
        Oh I know about the requirement to be part of the EBU, but I had no idea countries that are not considered European could join. Okay I understood Israel was part of it, but I thought that was a one off kind of thing. But more middle east and north African countries? just stop calling it Eurovision then.

Plus I am a firm believer that gross human right abuses should be a serious factor in allowing nation-states to hold big events. I don't by the 'they will open up' argument. They simply use the publicity as a stunt and 'close up shop' later. Azerbaijan sounds like the prison from Harry Potter, only difference is one actually has a justice system.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by FrigidSymphony)
        *******s, Italy was brilliant. Great lounge tune, really enjoyed that.
        Finland was pathetic dreck. Sweden was just... Ouch. Hungary had a good eurotrash tune. Blue were decent. Jedward had the most impressive show.
        But how. the. ****! did Azerbaijan win??? Insipid ****e, completely boring tune. Ohh, they were romantic on stage, I'll vote for them! Feck off!
        yess Italy's was awesome. Who knows, the generic, forgettable average song tends to win every year :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Reformed2010)
        I just don't understand how Azerbaijan is considered European. No one would see Iran as European, why Azerbaijan? Its like having an North America pop idol and then letting Mexico win. :rolleyes:
        Nah, it's like having North American pop idol then letting Brazil win.... Seriously Azerbaijan are so far east..... They're classed a Asia, I'm surprised the EBU broadcast out there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.