Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    I guess so. Googling suggests there's a second-hand bookshop that has comics, but it looks like it only has second-hand comics. I'm sure there's a comics society to join, though.
    Yeah, I've had an email conversation with the owner of that second-hand place a few months ago, in which he confirmed that there's nowhere to buy new comics in Oxford. I hope there's a society!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    Yeah, I've had an email conversation with the owner of that second-hand place a few months ago, in which he confirmed that there's nowhere to buy new comics in Oxford. I hope there's a society!
    If not you can always set one up; I'm sure there'd be enough demand that you could get a few people together for it.

ReputationRep:
    Suddenly filled with dread about Results Day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommy1311)
    Suddenly filled with dread about Results Day.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salliana23)
    :ditto:
    Looking at your academics, I get the feeling you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford 2011 Results Thread

Anybody who has already received their results can post them in the above thread.

No chat in there though please, keep it in here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    Oxford 2011 Results Thread

Anybody who has already received their results can post them in the above thread.

No chat in there though please, keep it in here
    This may seem a ridiculous question, so I'll apologise for wasting your time in advance...sorry...But for Oxbridge, are they so over-subscribed that ringing them up on results day if I miss an offer by a grade would be futile?

ReputationRep:
    This may seem a ridiculous question, so I'll apologise for wasting your time in advance...sorry...But for Oxbridge, are they so over-subscribed that ringing them up on results day if I miss an offer by a grade would be futile?
    No, by all means ring them up! It is definitely worth your while to try, as they do frequently take people who have narrowly missed their offers. If it does come down to that (and I hope it won't!) just call your college admissions office and they'll let you know what your position is.

Not a ridiculous question at all, it comes up every year and it's definitely worth knowing that you can ring them

ReputationRep:
    No, by all means ring them up! It is definitely worth your while to try, as they do frequently take people who have narrowly missed their offers. If it does come down to that (and I hope it won't!) just call your college admissions office and they'll let you know what your position is.

Not a ridiculous question at all, it comes up every year and it's definitely worth knowing that you can ring them
    Thanks! I can just see the spanner in the works now, could literally be 2 UMS in it for more than one subject, so I'll just have to see. Suddenly hit me that it's two weeks away.

Also, does the 'summer pool' exist, or is that something I made up in my head? Obviously I'm hoping it didn't come to that, but just trying to forsee all potential avenues now, so it's not a huge shock come the 18th.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I can just see the spanner in the works now, could literally be 2 UMS in it for more than one subject, so I'll just have to see. Suddenly hit me that it's two weeks away.

Also, does the 'summer pool' exist, or is that something I made up in my head? Obviously I'm hoping it didn't come to that, but just trying to forsee all potential avenues now, so it's not a huge shock come the 18th.
    Fingers crossed for you! I remember being in knots this time three years ago, I don't envy you at all.

Afaik the summer pool only exists at Cambridge, and the only equivalent at Oxford is the system used to allocate people with open offers to colleges. However, I could be completely wrong so I'd do a bit of research to check

ReputationRep:
    I am getting so nervous about results all of a sudden! Just want to know if I'm in!

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed for you! I remember being in knots this time three years ago, I don't envy you at all.

Afaik the summer pool only exists at Cambridge, and the only equivalent at Oxford is the system used to allocate people with open offers to colleges. However, I could be completely wrong so I'd do a bit of research to check
    Ah right. Sounds like I'm making 'the phonecall' then!

ReputationRep:
    Looking at your academics, I get the feeling you'll be fine.
    Thanks but my predicted grades are a little generous I'm sure you'll be fine too!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but my predicted grades are a little generous I'm sure you'll be fine too!
    Unfortunately, I believe you're mistaken there. I finished last year with AAAB, (B being in my strongest subject tbh), kept them all on. Had to pretty much abandon Maths due to staffing problems and a disastrous January exam, along with the Decisions fiasco, leaving me with English Lit, Psych and History. English Lit I was 2 UMS under an A (Should've resat my exam really, but never mind), History I sat 3 UMS above the boundary, Psychology I was comfortably high 80s, if not 90%.

It'll all come down to the History exam I think. My English C/W if kept how my lecturer marked it is 59/60, which is 78 UMS I think, so as long as I didn't mess up another English exam that should be ok, and I think Psychology was ok.

Sorry, that became as much notes to myself as it did a reply to you! Got a good PS and LNAT score (Twice as much as average) so like I say, I MAY be able to convince them if it comes to it.

Which college are you headed to?

Scrap that, just read. >_<

ReputationRep:
    Results day is somewhat worrying, given that my options are either Oxford or Army

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, I believe you're mistaken there. I finished last year with AAAB, (B being in my strongest subject tbh), kept them all on. Had to pretty much abandon Maths due to staffing problems and a disastrous January exam, along with the Decisions fiasco, leaving me with English Lit, Psych and History. English Lit I was 2 UMS under an A (Should've resat my exam really, but never mind), History I sat 3 UMS above the boundary, Psychology I was comfortably high 80s, if not 90%.

It'll all come down to the History exam I think. My English C/W if kept how my lecturer marked it is 59/60, which is 78 UMS I think, so as long as I didn't mess up another English exam that should be ok, and I think Psychology was ok.

Sorry, that became as much notes to myself as it did a reply to you! Got a good PS and LNAT score (Twice as much as average) so like I say, I MAY be able to convince them if it comes to it.

Which college are you headed to?

Scrap that, just read. >_<
    Oh ok - good luck for the 18th, I'm sure that your History exam went better than you thought it did!

What college do you have an offer from?

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok - good luck for the 18th, I'm sure that your History exam went better than you thought it did!

What college do you have an offer from?
    Thanks, likewise!

Queen's college, so just across the road from University, if my memory serves me correctly!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, likewise!

Queen's college, so just across the road from University, if my memory serves me correctly!
    Yes it is

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is
    So my memory isn't completely destroyed. I think it was getting some kind of structural work when I was down for my interview, not been since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micky022)
    Results day is somewhat worrying, given that my options are either Oxford or Army
    Haha, is that Sandhurst or non-commissioned? My options are Oxford, try again or bugger off to France indefinitely. So I suppose, translating my de Tocqueville book is good practise either way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.