Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

(Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)

He's a pretty darn good drawer even if it looks like a bad David lynch dream. You know I really hope they bring back Confidential, DW won't be the same without getting to see him fanboy out on set :grumble:
    :lol: Gosh yes, they just HAVE to bring back Confidential for Capaldi. :stomp:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    :lol: Gosh yes, they just HAVE to bring back Confidential for Capaldi. :stomp:
    I was so gutted when I got back into the series to see that they scrapped it =( At the very least i'd like to see what his outtakes would look like :daydreaming:

Oh and I was listening to the commentaries on The Thick of It today and they mentioned that Capaldi was probably the best improvisor out of the cast, in which case hopefully they'll let him throw in some good lines once he starts.

I was so gutted when I got back into the series to see that they scrapped it =( At the very least i'd like to see what his outtakes would look like :daydreaming:

Oh and I was listening to the commentaries on The Thick of It today and they mentioned that Capaldi was probably the best improvisor out of the cast, in which case hopefully they'll let him throw in some good lines once he starts.
    Yeah :giggle:
    Oh that reminds me! I don't watch The Thick of It, but my dad does, and he showed me this scene from an extra on it, I think it was some sort of commentary? But basically, the guys on it were saying how Capaldi would make a good Doctor :eek: And this was like from 2006/2007 ish apparently! It was really spooky.
    Anyway :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    ...There is a Ken Russel horror film out there with Peter Capaldi and Hugh Grant?

My dear sir I believe I could kiss you.

hehee i **** you not !!

there are not many films about monstrous wyrms.... even fewer starring MessrsGrant & Capaldy :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    hehee i **** you not !!

there are not many films about monstrous wyrms.... even fewer starring MessrsGrant & Capaldy :cool:
    I have no idea what I just watched... But that was great :lol: Oh Ken, you were nothing if not unique.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that Davies was much cheesier than Moffat is as a showrunner, imho the series has been much more consistent under him and a lot of the story archs have been much more interesting.

Can't say I get the 'confusing' allegation either, it's hardly 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' but the speculation you get out of it is much more enjoyable than Davies got and apart from the saminess of the companions and a slight lack of character arc for the Doctor, I can't think of anything he's done bad which is worse than what came before (Durn it, you guys are turning me into a Moffat defender :unimpressed:).
    think we will have to agree to disagree haha, I much prefered Davies' storylines and his series as a whole compared to moffat
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I wonder what Capaldi's catchphrase will be? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I wonder what Capaldi's catchphrase will be? :holmes:
    "Creag an tuire"

So I don't get a warning from any badass staff members for using non-English, that's a battlecry from a Scottish companion from the olden days of Doctor Who, Jamie
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    "Creag an tuire"
    Meaning? (foreign language requires translation on tsr!)

ReputationRep:
    Tsk you call yourself a Doctor Who fan?

The Doctor's first Scottish companion, Jamie used to use it as a battle cry
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Tsk you call yourself a Doctor Who fan?

The Doctor's first Scottish companion, Jamie used to use it as a battle cry
    I'm a new who fan, doesn't make me any less of a fan :nah:

Still it is actually rules that foreign language requires translation on TSR, so please translate before I have to warn you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JorMcKay95)
    Not to go offtopic but it's so unfair that the moff still hasn't released the 50th anniversary trailer, hardly any marketing goods, or TV hype. He should be doing more for the show...
    It is unfair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JorMcKay95)
    Not to go offtopic but it's so unfair that the moff still hasn't released the 50th anniversary trailer, hardly any marketing goods, or TV hype. He should be doing more for the show...
    Agreed. I believe they showed it at comic con didn't they? So it's not as if they haven't made it yet or don't have any footage.
    If they weren't intending to release it to the public any time soon they shouldn't have shown it at comic con in America, having such a delay is just frustrating.

Also I was wondering if anyone else feels its a bit unfair the way 12th Doctor was cast? I'm all for Capaldi but it sounds like they didn't even give anyone else a chance, which completely contradicts everything Moffat said a week or two before the announcement. He kept saying they had no idea who the Doctor would be and they were still auditioning, I thought it was probably BS at the time. Then what Moffat said recently about casting really annoyed me...
    Asked if he’d had a short list, Moffat said: "Yes. The list went 'Peter Capaldi'. It was a very short list."
    I do wonder if they actually auditioned anyone else for the part. Though I'm not sure what's worse: not giving any other actors a chance to audition for the role, or auditioning actors when there's no chance of any of them actually getting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montstar)
    I do wonder if they actually auditioned anyone else for the part. Though I'm not sure what's worse: not giving any other actors a chance to audition for the role, or auditioning actors when there's no chance of any of them actually getting it.
    Most of me thinks "who cares, Capaldi will be great" And yay, no stunt casting

But I bet Moffat et all knew that Matt was leaving. I think his contract was up to the 50th, and they didn't have time to make another full series when he'd renewed and they wouldn't have him regenerate before the 50th, so they split S7 over two years.

ReputationRep:
    Here's "my" Doctor Who, battling a "Who-Crusher" Dalek. 25-minute job, markers and mechanical pencils. I'm not a rabid fan, but I like some of the imagery!

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Here's "my" Doctor Who, battling a "Who-Crusher" Dalek. 25-minute job, markers and mechanical pencils. I'm not a rabid fan, but I like some of the imagery!

Dude, that's amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Wow! :eek: You're a great artist!

Wooooooooooooooow :cool:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    "Creag an tuire"

So I don't get a warning from any badass staff members for using non-English, that's a battlecry from a Scottish companion from the olden days of Doctor Who, Jamie

I believe it means Boar's Rock. :yep:

Personally I hope it's something very sweary in scots gaelic to avoid the watershed problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    I believe it means Boar's Rock. :yep:

Personally I hope it's something very sweary in scots gaelic to avoid the watershed problem.
    The actor of Jamie joked it means "gin and tonic"

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.