Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saywhatyoumean)
    Oh fair enough, see I didn't spend long enough analysing the question to decide

I think it went alright but I felt myself waffling

I talked about how the beast is a common enemy so jack and Ralph stay together for longer than they would've done without it
    And how the beast is symbolic of fear and mention how jack uses it to insinuate fear but didn't have any quotations for it, oops
    And a couple of other points like the whole Simon 'what if it's us'

Yeah I haven't read the whole book either so it was complete luck that a good question came up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    didnt you talk about it being in themselves..like a physical representation of innate human defect/flaw??

(Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    Does anyone know how many marks context was worth in that exam and if you talked a bit about in section a, would that still count?

Also, I remember talking about how slim treats curley's wife and crooks equally and how the others call curley's wife by different names and don't show respect...however, I don't remember talking about how society would have treated them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    they mark the whole question as one so it doesnt matter if you wrote about context in part A .. it will still be marked accordingly
    i talked about the Ku Klux Klan..

(Original post by popburrow)
    Come on guys, predictions for the named poems on the relationship cluster! Any ideas?
    there is a seperate thread for this somewhere... specifically for the relationships section..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    they mark the whole question as one so it doesnt matter if you wrote about context in part A .. it will still be marked accordingly
    I mean I talked a bit about context in the first section of the paper (about the play like an inspector calls, the crucible etc)- would this still count/gain marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing Conflict poetry got a prediction on what might come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popburrow)
    Come on guys, predictions for the named poems on the relationship cluster! Any ideas?
    Link to relationships thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post42728538

ReputationRep:
    didnt you talk about it being in themselves..like a physical representation of innate human defect/flaw??

there is a seperate thread for this somewhere... specifically for the relationships section..
    Yeah I mentioned that as Golding's central message but didn't focus on it, oh god was I supposed to?!?
    Tbh I can't remember I hope I did...
    And how the beast takes on many forms e.g at first it can be introduced as the war etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsfreak8162)
    yeah same for some of part (a) i put that the 'about' shows he knows what he's doing and takes control but for Bob is impatient and angry due to the 'red rooster'
    and yeah same for part (b) about the Maycomb is goverened by racism but i backed it up with the fact that AT the trial Mr Dolphus Raymond says to Scout 'you folks won't tell on will you' - then related it to when it says Jem has grown up by 'breaking the remaining code of childhood' but Maycomb hasn't - 'they will never, never understand' then I went into saying Miss Maudies view contrasts this of the 'baby step' do you think that's ok it happened at the trial so techincally she's using the trial to get him to explain, but it isn't specifically the trial?
    Ahhhh okay, do you think I missed the point by not referring to the trial directly? Also, do you know what sort of mark I would get?

ReputationRep:
    i thought that the LOTF section was fairly straight forward
    there were 2 questions :
    one was : how does Golding present the beast..whats its significance
    the other : what is the importance of Ralph in the novel and the line ' something about the loss of innocence',, and how does it make you feel ?

I went for the second one since i thought that was easy,,, well i wrote a line on the beast question,, crossed it put and started planning again

im happy both my predictions for this part came true ... it will be the conch next year then
    i personally think i would have got abut 24/25 - out of 30...then about 3/4 for Spag

the OMAM section was a bit of a bummer
    the extract section was ok-ishhh but the context question was firly bad... i gave a fair few point but they were vague if you get what i mean?
    6.1 is link to the question
    6.2,6.3,6.4,6.5 is link to the text
    so i think i will a decent ark on that bar 6.1 grrrr
    over all for this im predicting about 19/20 - out of 30 and about 3/4 for spag again

so i think i have got around - 48/68 ... which isnt too bad i guess
    but i only got an average A in my C/A

do you remember how you felt after your exam?? - did you think you were going to get an A*,, or were you just quietly confident?

Ryan
    I felt the exam same as you - I thought my LOTF was really good for me because I included loads of sophisticated points and talked about FSL lots, so I was confident about that one. We then got Curley's Wife for OMAM, and I thought, like you, I did well on analysing the extract, but I don't think I did very well on the context part. I merged the two questions together and did one big essay (I'm not sure if you did that) which I'm not quite sure is better - our teacher told us we'd get better marks for structure because we're doing two essays in one in a sense, but I didn't really include much about women's power at the time (I don't think..) so I was unsure really bc I wasn't sure if OMAM was going to bring me down...but I think from the sounds of it, you done pretty much the same as me, so you should do well if they don't mess things up with grade boundaries again

ReputationRep:
    Character and voice section in moon on the tides predictions please :-)

ReputationRep:
    is anyone at all doing place?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing place :c

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennielou123)
    Character and voice section in moon on the tides predictions please :-)
    Portrait of a deaf man or lgs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FergusJVL)
    Argh worried as I did the first question for the crucible, although my points were good it seems everyone did the proctor and Elizabeth question
    Don't worry I wish I did the first q!!! I found the second q was more general , but not sure if my points were sufficient!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What was the mark for getting an A from yesterday's paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yazzieee)
    What was the mark for getting an A from yesterday's paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's band 5 so thats 48/60 but not completely sure

ReputationRep:
    For those doing the conflict section, which of these poems, Out of the Blue, The Yellow Palm, Hawk Roosting and Come on Come Back, would you categorise as higher tier poems? These are the only poems which have yet to come up on the exam, and therefore I'm trying to predict which two will appear on the higher tier paper.

Personally I think that The Yellow Palm and Come on Come Back will be the choices on the Higher Tier paper, and Out of the Blue and Hawk Roosting the choices on the Foundation Tier paper.

ReputationRep:
    I did English lit novels yesterday on TKAM and LOTF.
    The LOTF was okay but I swear I was the only one in my entire year to do the question on the naval officer? Can anyone remember the actual question? Because I wrote about the naval officer ironic rescue, along with the fire significance and Ralph weeping for innocence but I don't know whether I should have written about the fire as I don't know whether I read the question right- was it about RESCUE or just about the naval officer?

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I am!
    (Original post by Avor)
    is anyone at all doing place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_uter15776)
    I'm doing place :c

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same! I hope the prelude, crossing the loch or cold knap lake doesn't come up! Don't like them:/

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm quite worried, I left like 7 lines and went on the next page to do part b of to kill a mockingbird, will the examiner go to the next page to see it? Because on the front of the booklet it said to leave at least 2 lines, I'm worried the examiner won't go on to the next page and mark my part b!

ReputationRep:
    I am doing relationships cluster, and have got a lot of notes comparing ghazal with to his coy mistress; tehr eare actually a lot of points! and it kills two possible birds with one stone
    I am also trying to compare Born Yesterday/Hour, which is okay, but not extremeley compatible.

I was wondering if you guys thought it was really risky to just revise the predicted poems e.g Born Yesterday, THCM, Ghazal and 116?
    It would be terrifying if none of them came up, but there is so little time!
    I focused wayyy too much on the stories!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.