Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Solution 344:

Spoiler:
    Show

Firstly, note that  ln2 = \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{\infty}  \dfrac{1}{2n+1} - \dfrac{1}{2n+2} = \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{4n+1}+\dfrac{1}{4n+3} - \dfrac{1}{2n+2}

And also that  \frac{1}{2} ln2 = \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{4n+2}-\dfrac{1}{4n+4}

Now, note that  \frac{\pi}{8} = \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{4n+1}-\dfrac{1}{4n+3}

Now,  \frac{\pi}{4} + ln2 =  \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \dfrac{2}{4n+1} -\dfrac{1}{2n+2}

Finally, subtract 1/2 ln2 to get:

\frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{1}{2} ln2 = 2 \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{4n+1}-\dfrac{1}{4n+2}

Giving the final answer as  \frac{\pi}{8}+\frac{1}{4}ln2

ReputationRep:
    Solution 344

\displaystyle\begin{aligned}\sum  _{n\geq 0}\frac{1}{4n+1}-\frac{1}{4n+2} =\sum_{n\geq 0}\int_0^1 t^{4n}(1-t)\,dt=\int_0^1 \frac{t-1}{t^4-1}\,dt=\frac{\ln 2}{4}+\frac{\pi}{8}\end{aligned}

ReputationRep:
    Just by looking at the diverse ways people have approached Solution 344 validates the beauty of Mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mladenov)
    Let C_{1} and C_{2} be externally tangent circles at M and the radius of C_{2} is greater than the radius of C_{1}. Let A be a point on C_{2} which does not lie on the line joining the centres of C_{1} and C_{2}. Let B and C be points on C_{1} such that AB and AC are tangent to C_{1}. The lines BM and CM intersect C_{2} again at E and F, respectively. Let D be the point of intersection of the tangent to C_{2} at A and the line EF. Prove that as A varies, the locus of D is a line.
    Any sources/books on learning how to tackle questions like this, please? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    Solution 344

\displaystyle\begin{aligned}\sum  _{n\geq 0}\frac{1}{4n+1}-\frac{1}{4n+2} =\sum_{n\geq 0}\int_0^1 t^{4n}(1-t)\,dt=\int_0^1 \frac{t-1}{t^4-1}\,dt=\frac{\ln 2}{4}+\frac{\pi}{8}\end{aligned}
    Just out of interest when is switching the order of summations valid? Nice solution too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bogstandardname)
    Just out of interest when is switching the order of summations valid? Nice solution too.
    Thanks.

Spoiler:
    Show
    If either of \displaystyle \sum_{n\geq 0} \int_a^b |f_n(t)|\,dt,\, \int_a^b \sum_{n\geq 0} |f_n(t)|\,dt converges then \displaystyle \sum_{n\geq 0} \int_a^b f_n(t)\,dt=\int_a^b \sum_{n\geq 0} f_n(t)\,dt

ReputationRep:
    Solution 158. Notice that the function is even.

Mladenov, which result obtains the second equality of the third line of solution 158? Is it some kind of elliptic integral?

ReputationRep:
    Solution 158. Notice that the function is even.
    In solving 158 (and similar problems), what quality of the integral made it obvious for you that Liebniz differentiation needed to be used, and how did you decide which constants to vary? I'm simply curious what to look out for.

ReputationRep:
    Problem 345 **/***

Evaluate \displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\tan x} \tan\sin t\ dt}{\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\sin x} \ln(1 + \sin t)\ dt}.

ReputationRep:
    Solution 345

L'H then \displaystyle\frac{\tan \sin \tan x}{\ln(1+\sin \sin x)}\sim_0 \frac{\tan x}{\ln (1+x)}\sim_0\frac{6x+2x^3}{6x-3x^2}\to 1

ReputationRep:
    Solution 345

L'H then \displaystyle\frac{\tan \sin \tan x}{\ln(1+\sin \sin x)}\sim_0 \frac{\tan x}{\ln (1+x)}\sim_0\frac{6x+2x^3}{6x-3x^2}\to 1
    I don't like to question the master, but have you differentiated the integral correctly? Don't you have to include the derivative of the limit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananarama2)
    I don't like to question the master, but have you differentiated the integral correctly? Don't you have to include the derivative of the limit?
    Yes, but this does not contribute to the limit, since it offers a factor \sec^3 x which \to 1 as x\to 0

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but this does not contribute to the limit, since it offers a factor \sec^3 x which \to 1 as x\to 0
    Ahh I see. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    How would you got about proving that the difference between the square numbers is a series of the odd numbers?
    1 4 9 16 25 36...
    +3 +5 +7 +9 +11...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
    How would you got about proving that the difference between the square numbers is a series of the odd numbers?
    1 4 9 16 25 36...
    +3 +5 +7 +9 +11...
    \displaystyle \sum_{n \geq 2} n^2 - (n-1)^2 = \sum_{n \geq 2} 2n - 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    \displaystyle \sum_{n \geq 1} n^2 - (n-1)^2 = \sum_{n \geq 1} 2n - 1
    ffs. it's just induction :facepalm:

I was trying Euler's

ReputationRep:

I was trying Euler's
    Huh? I don't quite see the induction used...

ReputationRep:

I was trying Euler's
    Simplicity is often the best. No induction though, just algebra, observe that n^2 - (n-1)^2 = 2n-1.

Lol - do you mean an Euler-esque method on how he solved the Basel problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananarama2)
    Huh? I don't quite see the induction used...
    Felix didn't use induction. I saw his answer and realised what my friend was trying to get me to do...
    We just started FP1 so he was trying to play with it!

(2n - 1) = n^2

n = 1: 1=1 check!

(2k - 1) = k^2 

k+1: 2(k + 1) - 1 = (k + 1)^2

2(k + 1) - 1 = 2(k + 1) - 1

k^2 + (2(k + 1) - 1) = (k + 1)^2 

2(k + 1) - 1 = (k + 1)^2
    Not even sure if that makes sense right now. Brain = fried.
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    Simplicity is often the best. No induction though, just manipulation, observe that n^2 - (n-1)^2 = 2n-1.

Lol - do you mean an Euler-esque method on how he solved the Basel problem?
    Gauss's method, not Euler. My lecturer got it wrong. I just had to google it. Arithmetic series! It's been a long, long day. Had lacrosse training early this morning and then rugby match before lunch!

EDIT: Felix, I am just not with it tonight. I'll come back tomorrow and try again!

ReputationRep:
    Solution 345
    Nice! You could also use L'hopital's twice. (idk why the rhyme)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.