Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wkmw)
    Warwick is actually my third choice! I will be studying Maths and heading over to UK this year. How is the course over there? Is Warwick Maths as crazily hard as people depict on the forum?
    Possibly, yes. You're tested more on understanding and application, rather than just regurgitation of lecture material and applying set formulae. Plus you get Year 1 supervisions of about 5 students to a supervisor. Cambridge is about 1-2 per supervisor, though I'm unsure about Imperial.

To put it this way: Looking at the past year papers of Imperial over the last few years (it's available online) for the modules I've done, I can easily do them - mostly calculation wise! Looking at Warwick's..ugh..some of them require reflection, and a spark of inspiration... Then again, we are the second best University in UK for Maths....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wkmw)
    Haha, then why did you choose Warwick in the first place?
    Because my classmates were applying for Universities at the end of A levels (FMaths class, so half international), and I followed them.

Cambridge doesn't allow deferment, but Warwick allowed me to defer for two years. So I'm now at Warwick!

I know people at Warwick who can't enter Cambridge (can't remember enough math to do STEP, got OC who don't allow them take off / leave for Cambridge interviews), etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wkmw)

Isn't Imperial Maths crazily hard and has a high workload as well?
    Unsure about the crazily hard bit, but the workload is quite high. I have friends in Imperial who do Math and ask me for help, and I can help them with their Math, considering I'm doing MORSE...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wkmw)

I thought Imperial Maths is not much easier than Cambridge (though Cambridge still triumphs in terms of difficulty)? They both have high workload and the course is equally crazy in both universities. The only difference is probably the more personalised tutorial system in Cambridge.
    Hmm, the thing is, what I'm judging the difficulty by is what my friends tell me, and what I observe from past year papers from both Cambridge and Imperial.

Cambridge is crazily hard. Period.

Looking at Imperial's past year papers, not so. No point having a crazily hard course, and in the end, all you need to do is to mug some set formulae, definitions, proofs, to get a First (no bell curve in UK) for Maths at Imperial.

*Unless of course, you like that sort of thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narev)
    Then again, we are the second best University in UK for Maths....
    That is very debatable actually. Some say it's Imperial and others will say Warwick. Really debatable.

Thanks a lot for the insight on Warwick Maths! Though it is highly unlikely I will go there...

ReputationRep:
    Heh. Go to where you want to - it's your money anyway. Unless you're on scholarship, then go to whereever the scholarship provider wants you to go...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HayThereMardyBum)
    That wasn't very nice You should be more encouraging than to laugh at choices.

Not everyone is into Imperial

:sexface:
    haha man i was just kidding, calm down! Sorry if i sounded offensive kay

(stalker spotted!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narev)
    I know people at Warwick who can't enter Cambridge (can't remember enough math to do STEP, got OC who don't allow them take off / leave for Cambridge interviews), etc.
    i find this statement quite funny!! but seriously, another reason why SAF screws singaporean males over :X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isaacchan)
    i find this statement quite funny!! but seriously, another reason why SAF screws singaporean males over :X

(Original post by Narev)
    Agreed. But I thought there is a directive stating that NSFs are entitled to go for their interviews if they can produce the proof? Some regulars are simply unreasonable and like to play around with the rules. I would have made a big fuss over it and I will be surprised if they did not, since it concerns their future!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. Im going down to Uk this Oct and Im looking forward to meeting you guys. However, does anyone know how we should settle our phones. Im thinking of getting an Iphone now, but Im worried about having to get a double plan for sg and uk. Does anyone know how things are usually done?

ReputationRep:
    well i got a international sim card (nomi mobile) for cheap rates to call singapore and i quite like it. cheap and affordable for me. also got a pay-as-you-go sim for calling uk lines. you can check out http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/ for some deals for iphone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nghks1)
    Hi guys. Im going down to Uk this Oct and Im looking forward to meeting you guys. However, does anyone know how we should settle our phones. Im thinking of getting an Iphone now, but Im worried about having to get a double plan for sg and uk. Does anyone know how things are usually done?
    I'm getting an Iphone too, I'll be bringing 2 phones to the uk
    my army phone- E51 will have my singapore line, which has roaming
    iphone will be a prepaid line from three mobile with the 500mb free internet, since only 3 mobile has micro sim for pre paid

ReputationRep:
    Isaac Chan,

Are you out of NS already ??
    When are you making your trip?
    Any plans for the interim ??

ANyway Best wishes !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masala)
    Isaac Chan,

Are you out of NS already ??
    When are you making your trip?
    Any plans for the interim ??

ANyway Best wishes !!!
    yo masala!
    yes, I'm ORD-ing in a few weeks time, going to uk in september.
    probably gonna work part time for now.

how's your medical school applications?

ReputationRep:
    Why part-time ?
    GO full time you can get 6months of Full-time salary
    to keep you comfortable for the lean times ahead ! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    yo masala!
    yes, I'm ORD-ing in a few weeks time, going to uk in september.
    probably gonna work part time for now.

how's your medical school applications?
    ORD loh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrilliantMinds)
    ORD loh!
    dude i can't seem to accept your friend request. anyway imperial made u a conditional offer, conditional on sending your A level results? weird. I didn't have to for leeds :X mine was just unconditional

ReputationRep:
    dude i can't seem to accept your friend request. anyway imperial made u a conditional offer, conditional on sending your A level results? weird. I didn't have to for leeds :X mine was just unconditional
    trust issues lol

ReputationRep:
    guys, im going to leeds but have to take a coach or train from london.

my 3 options are:

Coach:

Victoria Station to Leeds roughly i think 5 pounds

heathrow to victoria to leeds i think 30 pounds (25 pounds more just for the heathrow to victoria leg )

Train:

king's cross to leeds i think 10 or 20 pounds.

if i take from vic or king's i have to take the subway from lhr, would it be too cumbersome for me, if say i had 1x 20kg check in, 1x backpack and 1x laptop bag?

also, i understand vic station is a short walk away from vic bus station- so i'm scared there'll be heavy rain...

is the king's cross subway station sheltered and connected to the king's cross st pancras station?

what do u all suggest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrilliantMinds)
    trust issues lol
    imperial too atas liao. what u planning to do before going over?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.