Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been on the reserve list since the assessment centre and just received an offer to be on the TSP in Edinburgh (my 2nd choice behind Belfast). However, my personal circumstances have completely changed since then and while I could potentially make it work, it would really suit me a million fold better to be working in Belfast, to the point that I I'd rather have an HO or even O post in Belfast than TSP in Edinburgh!

I'm aware of their wording that a rejection of this offer more or less wipes me completely off their list and I may be clutching at straws here, but can anyone with a bit more experience lend me some advice as to what to do???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McDude)
    Yeah there's no way I'm missing this chance, my last job was about 18k per year, the one I've been offered is 20-22k so 29k is a absolutely massive rise for me. Id already accepted and filled out all the reference information before I even thought about Birmingham.

Don't know if I said this before but they checked 0 of my references after I spent a few hours pestering them all to let them know.
    Fair enough haha, well good luck getting it changed anyway.
    I'm hoping they don't check through mine either just so the checks are done quicker!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have civil service resourcing ever responded to any emails?

ReputationRep:
    No they are absolutely s*** at replying. They replied when they needed something and stopped as soon as they got it

ReputationRep:
    I just got an e-mail from them offering me an Officer post in Leeds.

Considering I never actually attended an assessment centre, can it really be correct that all I have to do is accept the offer and the job is mine (pre-employment checks notwithstanding)?

Would seem odd given that no-one from HMRC has ever actually spoken to me. I might be an really awful **** for all they know (I'm not though).

Also, can somebody give me a bit of information on potential career progression - is it actually possible to progress from the officer band or do I risk being stuck there for the rest of my life? Would accepting this position preclude me from applying for the TSP programme again, for example?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niall93)

Considering I never actually attended an assessment centre, can it really be correct that all I have to do is accept the offer and the job is mine (pre-employment checks notwithstanding)?

Would seem odd given that no-one from HMRC has ever actually spoken to me. I might be an really awful **** for all they know (I'm not though).

Also, can somebody give me a bit of information on potential career progression - is it actually possible to progress from the officer band or do I risk being stuck there for the rest of my life? Would accepting this position preclude me from applying for the TSP programme again, for example?
    the same thing happened to me last year was not invited to assessment centre but given the job all I had to do was go to the office and show some education results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niall93)

Started as an officer in January and recently been promoted to a HO so you will be able to apply for the TSP programme again should you wish to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jas87)
    Started as an officer in January and recently been promoted to a HO so you will be able to apply for the TSP programme again should you wish to do so.
    Wow - promoted to HO within 6 months? Well done! How did you manage that so quickly?

I was on the waiting list for the AC but never got a call up, and am hoping that I may be lucky enough to get offered an O role soon. I know others who weren't even on the waiting list for the AC have been offered roles but my only location choice was Belfast so this may be why I am still waiting (or as some have suggested it may not actually be done on much of a merit basis at all, but hopefully not the case!).

My job at the moment pays more than an O grade role, but I would definitely jump at it if I thought that I could move up to HO within 2 years max.

Congrats again!

ReputationRep:
    Hi would anyone be able to summarise the pros and cons for the respective pension schemes? I'm really struggling to work out which would be best for me

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone else received a letter regarding pensions? I haven't? The only pension stuff I've seen is the generic stuff on the website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lha1994)
    Hi would anyone be able to summarise the pros and cons for the respective pension schemes? I'm really struggling to work out which would be best for me
    There really is no contest, Alpha (defined benefit) is far far superior as a pension to partnership (stakeholder).

Basically Alpha puts away 1/43 of your salary every year, and uprates it for inflation. This costs you 5.45% of your pre-tax salary, but is equivalent to 21.1% extra salary that your employer puts in.

By contrast, partnership pays money into an investment fund, and returns depend on the stock market. Employer contributions are 8% if youre under 31, but dont cost you anything. You can choose to put in more yourself, but HMRC will only match this up to an additional 3%. (Max 11% total employer contrib)

So partnership is better than nothing, but if you can afford the 5.45% of alpha, youll get a much better pension out of it, and guaranteed in value as opposed to depending on stocks.

The FDA does a good guide to Alpha, to explain what it means: http://www.fda.org.uk/Pensions2015/Pensions-2015.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lha1994)
    In a nutshell...
    Alpha - the new standard pension, which the vast majority of civil servants will have. Career average, so your pension will basically be some portion of your salary over the years, plus various uplifts linked to inflation. Earning high early in your career, e.g. grade 7 from your 20s, should get you a decent sum when you retire. (In the old days (2+ years ago) it was final salary so you only needed to earn big at the end of your career).
    Partnership - you have more control over how your pension is invested, i.e. high risk/high return, low risk/low return. You could end up better or worse off than Alpha, depending on the performance of the funds/shares etc you invest in. But you can draw your pension from age 55 instead of 67+ in Alpha.
    You can change from one to the other if you want, but i think theres a limit on how often or how many times. If you leave the civil service you can take Partnership with you. You can't take Alpha. It'll still grow with inflation but you wont be able to contribute.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, if i have holidays booked whilst working at hmrc, then move to another job in another location within hmrc will my holidays also automatically transfer??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newcomer2016)
    Hi, if i have holidays booked whilst working at hmrc, then move to another job in another location within hmrc will my holidays also automatically transfer??
    Yes. You're HR account will just be transferred to your new manager.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theduffman82)
    Wow - promoted to HO within 6 months? Well done! How did you manage that so quickly?

I was on the waiting list for the AC but never got a call up, and am hoping that I may be lucky enough to get offered an O role soon. I know others who weren't even on the waiting list for the AC have been offered roles but my only location choice was Belfast so this may be why I am still waiting (or as some have suggested it may not actually be done on much of a merit basis at all, but hopefully not the case!).

My job at the moment pays more than an O grade role, but I would definitely jump at it if I thought that I could move up to HO within 2 years max.

Congrats again!
    Sorry about the late response to be honest it was down to a bit of luck but also seems to be a few vacancies at the moment and once in civil service you have a greater number of jobs that you can apply for as you will still be able to go for the external jobs but will now also be able to apply for some jobs that are internal only.

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed for TSP appointment letters this week! If not, notice periods will get a bit tricky.

Still havent heard a peep from my local office yet, all very slapdash.

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't had my pre-employment checks completed, I am not too hopeful about getting my appointment letter this week. (Despite numerous unanswered emails from CSR).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antipathy)
    Fingers crossed for TSP appointment letters this week! If not, notice periods will get a bit tricky.

Still havent heard a peep from my local office yet, all very slapdash.
    I called up the team who carry out the pre employment checks and spoke to someone. They confirmed my pre employment checks were complete (despite not receiving the email). I was supposed to have received the email today however haven't yet received anything (she did say it was okay for me to hand in my notice with my current employer as the checks were complete). Might be worth you guys giving them a call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabs1991)
    I called up the team who carry out the pre employment checks and spoke to someone. They confirmed my pre employment checks were complete (despite not receiving the email). I was supposed to have received the email today however haven't yet received anything (she did say it was okay for me to hand in my notice with my current employer as the checks were complete). Might be worth you guys giving them a call.
    Had an emIl response back saying they are trying hard to get the letters out this week, so hopefully should have something by the end of the week.

ReputationRep:
    Had my pre employment checks complete today. Said i should receive further letters/emails from HR in the next few day

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.