Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if any could give me feedback on my first proposal for my EPQ title 'Analysing the Biological vs Cognitive Aspects of Schizophrenia' (is it possible to argue a cognitive vs biological basis for schizophrenia or can the two not be separate)? Its just i don't want to start it and realise the argument does cannot exist.

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to your EPQ teacher? Or possibly a Psychology teacher? "Schizophrenia: Is it biological or Cognitive?" "What gives a greater explanation into Scizophrenia, the Biological or Cognitive approach?"
    I think they could be analysed and argued separately, but talk to subject teachers: You can use them as references and add it to your bibliography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FallenMan)
    Have you spoken to your EPQ teacher? Or possibly a Psychology teacher? "Schizophrenia: Is it biological or Cognitive?" "What gives a greater explanation into Scizophrenia, the Biological or Cognitive approach?"
    I think they could be analysed and argued separately, but talk to subject teachers: You can use them as references and add it to your bibliography.
    Definitely good to have a question.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone give me a quick hand with citing images in my report? I'm using the British Standard system, a bit unsure what to include in the caption/footnote/whatever for each one... Thanks! :/

ReputationRep:
    It purely depends on what type of EPQ you are wanting to do. The 5,000 essay could take a few weeks. That is if you do around 2 hours every few days. It's ideal todo an epq when you have some extra time and the point f it is that you ENJOY it, so doing the assignment shouldn't be a bore! If you are going the more creative route, it can take a few days (whether you are filming a short film: it is possible to do it in a short space of time!) or a couple of months. If you are dedicated and do a couple of hours max a week working on it and finding references and such, it should take at most 2 months.
    I did an EPQ last year which involved me watching 8 films and analysing them and finding references. I managed it in just over a week.
    Can you help me on how to start my EPQ please?
    it is actually based on "how medicine has changed in the last 20 years", but i dont know how to start my introduction to this topic, i know loads about it but i dont know how to put my information together to produce a good project.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiyubi)
    Can you help me on how to start my EPQ please?
    it is actually based on "how medicine has changed in the last 20 years", but i dont know how to start my introduction to this topic, i know loads about it but i dont know how to put my information together to produce a good project.
    I don't know a lot about medicine but here's my try :

Intro:
    A revolutionary, essential part of human life, medicine has become a field that is every changing...

Briefly look at the views of 20 years ago, who was a top doctor then? Perhaps also say how medicine has evolved on a social aspect, so those who were just given pills for mental illnesses are now given psychological treatment?

Main:
    Your actual project could show a timeline of events, looking at how medicines were in different decades, do research into the early 90's work, what researchers said. Even ask family members or similar and see their opinions on it for your primary research.

Something to perhaps look at is that with growing knowledge of illnesses people are more cautious of vaccines. Such as some believing it triggers Autism. Do some research on that, give your opinion based on the facts shown.

BASICALLY: Note down what you know. Write it down on a piece of paper then get different coloured pens and join up ones that could be shown to be similar cases. When you have this, look at whats joined up and create a sub topic with them. Write out the sub topic on a sheet of paper, with the information you know. This should make it easier to research. Then organise it so it seems to flow, don't say something about vaccines, then full surgery then something about swine flu, as swine flu could come after vaccines, as people were desperate for it, so it can flow better (just a very bad example )

If you can, make your topic a question if it's not already, so the conclusion can be easier and you can argue for or against.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know a lot about medicine but here's my try :

Intro:
    A revolutionary, essential part of human life, medicine has become a field that is every changing...

Briefly look at the views of 20 years ago, who was a top doctor then? Perhaps also say how medicine has evolved on a social aspect, so those who were just given pills for mental illnesses are now given psychological treatment?

Main:
    Your actual project could show a timeline of events, looking at how medicines were in different decades, do research into the early 90's work, what researchers said. Even ask family members or similar and see their opinions on it for your primary research.

Something to perhaps look at is that with growing knowledge of illnesses people are more cautious of vaccines. Such as some believing it triggers Autism. Do some research on that, give your opinion based on the facts shown.

BASICALLY: Note down what you know. Write it down on a piece of paper then get different coloured pens and join up ones that could be shown to be similar cases. When you have this, look at whats joined up and create a sub topic with them. Write out the sub topic on a sheet of paper, with the information you know. This should make it easier to research. Then organise it so it seems to flow, don't say something about vaccines, then full surgery then something about swine flu, as swine flu could come after vaccines, as people were desperate for it, so it can flow better (just a very bad example )

If you can, make your topic a question if it's not already, so the conclusion can be easier and you can argue for or against.

Good luck!
    thanls a lot!! that is very helpful

ReputationRep:
    Mine is as follows:

The Dissertation
    Project Progression Record
    Plan
    Evidence of research
    Evaluation

The entire portfolio should come to about 32/33 pages for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somaiyar)
    Mine is as follows:

The Dissertation
    Project Progression Record
    Plan
    Evidence of research
    Evaluation

The entire portfolio should come to about 32/33 pages for me
    For 5,000 words?! The logbook is only around 10 (well it was for me last year)

ReputationRep:
    Is it right to say, you can have an okay essay and presentation. But aslong as you show good management, range of research sources, good planning and excellent evaluation - then you can pull of an A/A*. How long does the essay take, assuming the research is of high quality and all the sources are already found and noted?

ReputationRep:
    For 5,000 words?! The logbook is only around 10 (well it was for me last year)
    My dissertation comes to 12 pages (for just under 5000 words) and this includes graphs. My plan is 2 pages long. The log book is 10 pages, evaluation is 2 pages, and the rest is just evidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha5)
    Is it right to say, you can have an okay essay and presentation. But aslong as you show good management, range of research sources, good planning and excellent evaluation - then you can pull of an A/A*. How long does the essay take, assuming the research is of high quality and all the sources are already found and noted?
    Well..having an average essay will show that you haven't used sources well and incorporated them to best of your ability. You get marked on your presentation and as long as it is informative and compact you can get marks easily. It isn't all about an evaluation. It's about how you have used sources and information and if you have developed a strong argument.

Your essay, if focused on it primarily, could take about a week. And that is with solid work, evaluating different sources, building a strong argument, looking at both sides and putting a lot of effort into it. You can have all the sources prepared, but making them clearly presented into your essay can be difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I want to investigate the health and social care bill proposed by the coalition, but I have no idea what type of question would be most appropriate for a 6000 word dissertation. Help? I want to go into Pharmacy but have a genuine interest in the bill because i feel not enough information is provided to the public and I'd like to learn more. Help?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 11 now, but I'll hopefully be doing the EPQ when I'm in Sixth Form. I was thinking of doing my dissertation on James Bond, with the topic being something along the lines of how the character and the movies have changed tone over time. Does this sound like an ok idea, or should I change it slightly? Any criticism is fine

Good luck with al your EPQs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandora.)
    I'm in Year 11 now, but I'll hopefully be doing the EPQ when I'm in Sixth Form. I was thinking of doing my dissertation on James Bond, with the topic being something along the lines of how the character and the movies have changed tone over time. Does this sound like an ok idea, or should I change it slightly? Any criticism is fine

Good luck with al your EPQs!
    An EPQ is something that expands on the studies you will be doing at AS/A Level, so this could have the beginnings for an interesting topic, if you were thinking of doing either media or film. So think of that before deciding...will doing an EPQ on this help or hinder your future prospects?

It could also has to be in the form of a question, to allow you to debate it. Or just a question which could have a lot of research to it. You could look at how representations have adapted over the years. That way you can look at characters, compare them, look at how cultures are shown, how villains are portrayed, stereotypes. You could also look at when they were set, so if there was a war during the time the film was released, did this effect who portrayed the villain/hero?

If this is the topic you really want to do, it has the potential to be very interesting and with the right sources and dedicated time it can grade well.

ReputationRep:
    An EPQ is something that expands on the studies you will be doing at AS/A Level, so this could have the beginnings for an interesting topic, if you were thinking of doing either media or film. So think of that before deciding...will doing an EPQ on this help or hinder your future prospects?

It could also has to be in the form of a question, to allow you to debate it. Or just a question which could have a lot of research to it. You could look at how representations have adapted over the years. That way you can look at characters, compare them, look at how cultures are shown, how villains are portrayed, stereotypes. You could also look at when they were set, so if there was a war during the time the film was released, did this effect who portrayed the villain/hero?

If this is the topic you really want to do, it has the potential to be very interesting and with the right sources and dedicated time it can grade well.
    Thanks!

I wasn't really thinking of doing media or film, but after weighing up the benefits of an EPQ, I thought it would be an interesting topic to gain a new qualification, and to possibly talk about at university interview.

Thanks for all the ideas, they're really helpful I'll definately think about the impact of war type ideas - I was also thinking of how the Bond Girls have changed over time, but that might be a harder one to do.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I urgently need some ideas for the EPQ, I was first thinking of doing something on Harry Potter but I have literally no idea what to do and what I can do

Alternatively, something on History, as I've applied to Uni on a history degree, I can't do anything involving Germany or the Tudors as that's in my A2 course

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HorcruxWanderer)
    Hi

I urgently need some ideas for the EPQ, I was first thinking of doing something on Harry Potter but I have literally no idea what to do and what I can do

Alternatively, something on History, as I've applied to Uni on a history degree, I can't do anything involving Germany or the Tudors as that's in my A2 course

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

if you want history there are several topics you can do about for example:
    -ancient egypt
    -how mathmatics evoloved
    -ancient japan
    -how civil wars occured
    -revolution

there are loads but i cant think of any more
    hope this helped LOL!!

ReputationRep:
    Need help on any NHS related ideas? I'd like to do more of the humanities side than the science side of just choosing cells or something...any help?

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE HELP !!! JUST REALLY STARTED MY EP! MY TITLE IS Is it morally acceptable that footballers get paid such high wages, should there be some sort of cap ? Where else can it be better spent ?
    IM ON THE RESEARCH REVIEW AND REALLY DO NOT HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT TO DO !!! CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME SOME IDEAS, AND POSSIBLE SEND ME THERE RESEARCH REVIEW SO I GET SOME SORT OF IDEA AS TO THE LAYOUT AND WHAT TO SPECIFICALLY WRITE ABOUT. MY TEACHERS ARE NO HELP THEY'VE JUST LEFT IT ALL TO US !

PLEASE HELP ASAP

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.