Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eurovision Song Contest 2011 Society Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    Okay then Iran is European too. I mean come on now, no one likes to set border limits and shut people out. But there has to be an acceptance of where one continent begins and one generally ends. Free for all!
    There is a limit set by the EBU (European Broadcasting Union) - you can look it up and I posted it in here

Everyone going WAAAAH they shouldn't be in it - they are legitimately in the competition but they shouldn't have won cos the song was **** - PERIOD.

I wonder if Azerbaijanis will use this [media spotlight] to push their dissent of the incumbent president?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by natty_d)
      :facepalm2:
      If that was a dig at me then I was joking. Chill. :cool:

ReputationRep:
      Okay then Iran is European too. I mean come on now, no one likes to set border limits and shut people out. But there has to be an acceptance of where one continent begins and one generally ends. Free for all!
      The border is set east of Azerbaijan. Ural mountains, Bosphorus, the Dardanelles... Didn't you go to school?

ReputationRep:
      Iran is further south and the bulk of its territory is clearly within Asia. Azerbaijan is one of a few countries which sit in a grey area, considered neither fully part of Asia nor Europe and thus considered as in both.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Shadowplay)
      The border is set east of Azerbaijan. Ural mountains, Bosphorus, the Dardanelles... Didn't you go to school?
      No it's not. There's no strict continental border; continents aren't geological divisions, they're sort of subjective. Most people would consider Azerbaijan as part of Asia not Europe. They're not really in Europe.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
      If that was a dig at me then I was joking. Chill. :cool:
      I understand people liking it for a joke, dw :p:

It's just all the ignorant stupid people who are suddenly pouring out about how they suddenly care about the boundaries, it's just like :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
      Not sure if anyone is aware, but the following countries are applying for permission to join the EBU and take part in Eurovision:

Kazakhstan
      Morocco
      Qatar

Now they are not European. Azerbaijan is pushing it, but fair enough it qualifies. Qatar though?..... I mean come on, seriously? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
      Let's not have any complaints about voting tonight. Blue's vocal wasn't good enough to win and WE gave 12 points to Jedward.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by neillya1)
      Not sure if anyone is aware, but the following countries are applying for permission to join the EBU and take part in Eurovision:

Kazakhstan
      Morocco
      Qatar

Now they are not European. Azerbaijan is pushing it, but fair enough it qualifies. Qatar though?..... I mean come on, seriously? :lolwut:
      I'm not sure whether I should laugh or be confused for them. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:

Kazakhstan
      Morocco
      Qatar

lolwat.

ReputationRep:
      Britain can, however, claim some credit from the fact that Nigar Jamal, one half of the Azeri duo Ell/Nikki, now lives in north London. Born in Baku, Nigar now lives in London with her husband Luke and their daughters Jasmin and Saida.
      :awesome:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hylean)
      Iran is further south and the bulk of its territory is clearly within Asia. Azerbaijan is one of a few countries which sit in a grey area, considered neither fully part of Asia nor Europe and thus considered as in both.
      In other news Iran, Azerbaijan and Turkey join the Eurozone.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
      I'm not sure whether I should laugh or be confused for them. :lolwut:
      It gets better

Tunisia, Libya, Algeria, Egypt and Lebanon are all currently eligible to enter Eurovision! They just choose not to at the moment.

Qatar have apparently stated they do want to join though.....

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Shadowplay)
      screw it, some random loophole should be used to get some african countries in there too :cool:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
      lolwat.
      Morocco is more European that Qatar to be honest!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
      screw it, some random loophole should be used to get some african countries in there too :cool:
      See what I posted above There are a few North African countries that can compete if they want - they choose not to.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
      South Africa should definitely join!

ReputationRep:
      See what I posted above There are a few North African countries that can compete if they want - they choose not to.
      Lol they might as well if the country not actually being in Europe isn't an issue... :rolleyes: seems a bit silly doesn't it

would like to see America in it

ReputationRep:
      It gets better

Tunisia, Libya, Algeria, Egypt and Lebanon are all currently eligible to enter Eurovision! They just choose not to at the moment.

Qatar have apparently stated they do want to join though.....
      To be fair, if those countries are already eligible, the requests of the other countries you previously mentioned don't seem as unreasonable. Strange. :lolwut:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.