Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    ****ing LOTS. :hmpf: Unless you do it on an absolute shoestring (registry office, minimal guests, meal down the pub) it runs into thousands and thousands really quickly. Everything doubles in price just because it has "wedding" in front of it, and there are things that you would never have thought of which now become "essential" if you want to do it properly.

(NB am currently bankrupting myself and going slightly mad trying to plan mine).

I think they pick the couples deliberately so the grooms won't be that competent and the brides will be a bit stroppy. My fiancé wanted to go on it, and he'd be pretty good at it, I think, and I wouldn't just sit at home *****ing and crying about how much I missed him after two days/how he was going to ruin my perfect princess day, but that wouldn't make good TV.
    They're all we've been together x years type but never spent more than a few days apart...really? Very dramaesque. apparently the vegas couple had a more traditional second do a year later...What is now essential, I'm intrigued!

ReputationRep:

I think they pick the couples deliberately so the grooms won't be that competent and the brides will be a bit stroppy. My fiancé wanted to go on it, and he'd be pretty good at it, I think, and I wouldn't just sit at home *****ing and crying about how much I missed him after two days/how he was going to ruin my perfect princess day, but that wouldn't make good TV.
    Yeah but for 12K you'd get a bit sneeky. Give them the plan before hand, then on camera day start stropping that "you hate that dress" "all I ever wanted was a small dinner with family friends!" etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I think it's more that fact that he'd get to choose everything and it would drive me nuts not being able to have a say in anything :rolleyes:

Isn't the average cost like £16k now? So the £12k you get on DTTB isn't really an extravagant figure to play with :dontknow:
    Meh, on a completly different note, saw a pt with a girdlestone - epic orthofail!

ReputationRep:
    ****ing LOTS. :hmpf: Unless you do it on an absolute shoestring (registry office, minimal guests, meal down the pub) it runs into thousands and thousands really quickly. Everything doubles in price just because it has "wedding" in front of it, and there are things that you would never have thought of which now become "essential" if you want to do it properly.
    I despair. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    They're all we've been together x years type but never spent more than a few days apart...really? Very dramaesque. apparently the vegas couple had a more traditional second do a year later...What is now essential, I'm intrigued!
    There is endless stuff which you "must" have, all of which is expensive and only some of which I can bring myself to do without. A brief list: -
    • flowers (budget for this is potentially endless, I am being VERY conservative)
    • photography
    • video/DVD
    • favours
    • table decorations
    • cars
    • hair/makeup
    • gifts for bridesmaids/ushers/parents/cats
    • live music of varying flavours
    • stationery
    • cake

And that's without the staples of booze, food and something to wear. Dresses are mostly around the £1000 mark (though again, upper limit of the budget is virtually infinite) and on top of that you need shoes, veil, ?tiara, jewellery... Oh, and the registrar charges double for marrying you in an "approved venue" rather than in their own registry office. :hmpf:

(Original post by Renal)
    I despair. :afraid:
    So how's your planning going?

ReputationRep:
    So how's your planning going?
    My planning?

Crazyhelicopter's planning is going fine. I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    My planning?

Crazyhelicopter's planning is going fine. I think.
    I'm fed up of waiting though. Can you not bring it forward a little?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egypt)
    I'm fed up of waiting though. Can you not bring it forward a little?
    We haven't received an invite to yours yet!

ReputationRep:
    I heard (via various magazines/forums) the average was more like £20,000?

I think ours was worth it though - you only do it the once... :love:

There is endless stuff which you "must" have, all of which is expensive and only some of which I can bring myself to do without. A brief list...
    We ended up spending money in some odd places, my take on the list:

Spoiler:
    Show

- Photography - I wouldn't scrimp on, it's what you have left.
    - Video/DVD - didn't bother, photos can be unflattering enough
    - Favours - didn't bother - they got an invitation?! Though we did have a silhouette artist so some people got them done.
    - Table decorations - made by me & lots of fun..!
    - Cars - no one sees the Groom arrive & no one cares with the leaving, so we just had the one which did two trips for my side.
    - Hair/makeup - some bridesmaids prefer to do their own... so I found someone reasonable & let them choose & pay if they wanted. Mine/Mum's was fairly pricey but still was disappointed - don't let them fob you off with a trial where they don't do it all exactly the same i.e. with all the same products and intended to be as permanent as it should be on the day so you can see if it actually is. :rolleyes:
    - Gifts - oh, i like buying presents. But did go the selfish route in that my bridesmaids jewellery, handbags, compact mirrors were all for use on the day for co-ordination-tastic!
    - Live music - depends what you want - I don't love classical so had i pod set up for background music then DJ. If you have a DJ be explicit, despite giving our DJ a list which he seemed receptive too he did a bit too much freestyling with songs not on the list...
    - Stationery - so many websites where you can design your own. We then put it together.
    - Cake - enlist the MDT, ahem, I mean family volunteers.
    - Dresses - can be a surprise. I didn't really have a budget but ended up with the cheapest one I tried which was £500 (pre alterations etc) If you want a custom veil ask me for my supplier - they were brilliant - exactly what I wanted. Jewellery go old/new/borrowed?

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...m-secrets.html

Sorry it has to be the daily fail
    I'm more of a big squidgy duvet with perhaps a toe/head peeping out type > :hoppy: !

ReputationRep:
    Had a patient so fat she filled up the MRI machine. Made for some laughs at the images during the MDT meeting.

Also had two guys play around with their friend's insulin pen. Each came in with GCS 3 and probably a BM of 0 (I don't actually know what it was).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Had a patient so fat she filled up the MRI machine. Made for some laughs at the images during the MDT meeting.

Also had two guys play around with their friend's insulin pen. Each came in with GCS 3 and probably a BM of 0 (I don't actually know what it was).
    We have had to transfer patients to some veterinary hospital in North London for MRI before now.

(Original post by Elles)
    We ended up spending money in some odd places, my take on the list:

Spoiler:
    Show
    - Photography - I wouldn't scrimp on, it's what you have left.
    - Video/DVD - didn't bother, photos can be unflattering enough
    - Favours - didn't both, they got an invitation?! Though we did have a silhouette artist so some people got them done
    - Table decorations - made by me & lots of fun..!
    - Cars - no one sees the Groom arrive & no one cars with the leaving, so we just had the one which did two trips for my side
    - Hair/makeup - some bridesmaids prefer to do their own... so I found someone reasonable & let them choose & pay if they wanted. Mine/Mum's was fairly pricey but still was disappointed - don't let them fob you off with a trial where they don't do it all exactly the same i.e. with all the same products and intended to be as permanent as it should be on the day so you can see if it actually is. :rolleyes:
    - Gifts - oh, i like buying presents. But did go the selfish route in that my bridesmaids jewellery, handbags, compact mirrors were all for use on the day!
    - Live music - depends what you want - I don't love classical so had i pod set up for background music then DJ. If you have a DJ be explicit, despite giving our DJ a list which he seemed receptive too he did a bit too much freestyling with songs not on the list...
    - Stationery - so many websites where you can design your own. We then put it together.
    - Cake - enlist the MDT, ahem, I mean family volunteers.
    - Dresses - can be a surprise. I didn't really have a budget but ended up with the cheapest one I tried which was £500 (pre alterations etc) If you want a custom veil ask me for my supplier - they were brilliant - exactly what I wanted. Jewellery go old/new/borrowed?
    Thanks!

Where on earth did you find a dress at that price though? I have only seen one under £800 and it was horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

Rumour mill tells of a pt on the larger side who got sent to London Zoo for scans, but got bumped down the list because a Rhino was ill...

Also, whats a favour?

ReputationRep:
    Rumour mill tells of a pt on the larger side who got sent to London Zoo for scans, but got bumped down the list because a Rhino was ill...

Also, whats a favour?
    I thought you were asking me what a favour was there for a second. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    favour
    What is a favour? They look like little box like things?

ReputationRep:
    Oh God, the oldies are cluttering up the thread with old people talk. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Also, whats a favour?
    Little gifts for people to take away, usually you leave them by the place settings at the table. Traditionally it was sugared almonds but today you can do almost anything and again, budget can be stretched endlessly if you fall for the crap they try to sell you at wedding fairs. Stuff like this: http://www.fabulousfavours.co.uk/

(NB this is one area where I do know what I want and it's not going to cost the earth, thank goodness!)

ReputationRep:
    Not that uncommon.

(But we try not to let on, it's much more fun to tell patients to go home as they're too fat to scan )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    I'm more of a big squidgy duvet with perhaps a toe/head peeping out type > :hoppy: !
    Pics or GTFO!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Oh God, the oldies are cluttering up the thread with old people talk. :ahee:
    let's be freshers. FRESHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZ

I'm quite durnk.

Also I can't remember but were you there when people were gossiping about me and RT [QUOTE= Onychophagia I can't remember who it was and it's irritating when I lose recolleciton of... everything [s]p[/s]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.