Turn on thread page Beta

The Classics Society Mk II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm just doing my Classics revision for pompeii - community life (ocr gcse) and most my year have exams atm so can't ask them :P
    wondering if any of you could help?

Basically, if a question appears (exam tomorrow) on the roman theatre,
    Are these the only features to include?:
    •Tiered seating
    •Semi-circular shape
    •Aisles
    •Awning

Thanks in advanced, also would appreciate it if you could reply by quoting me, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisyroseflynn)
    hey, things usually stay on iplayer for a week or two.. so you should watch it sooner rather than later
    Daisy x

(Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Further to this, I bring news ...
    News from the iPlayer!
    I can't watch it then. Not back on Blighty shores until the 21st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Oh :console:
    Well this one's available until 29th Dec; can you watch that instead? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Oh :console:
    Well this one's available until 29th Dec; can you watch that instead? :awesome:
    I certainly can and will certainly try too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Try using your uni's VPN? I know a lot of students who have done study abroad but needed to get their soap fill and found that worked.

Edit: and by a lot, I mean 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemiliana)
    and by a lot, I mean 1.
    There was once someone who claimed on his CV that he'd been the president of a number of student societies during his time at university.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The particular number he had in mind was 0 :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    That's literally what I do when I'm in Greece over the break and yet inexplicably need my IT Crowd/Peep Show hit...

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh. My mother has booked a last minute cruise for both of us and it's going around Jordan!!!

I GET TO SEE PETRA IN PERSON!!!!!!
    SQUEE!!!

I'm terribly excited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemiliana)
    Try using your uni's VPN? I know a lot of students who have done study abroad but needed to get their soap fill and found that worked.

Edit: and by a lot, I mean 1.
    I can't find my university having one. Damn you University of Leicester!

(Original post by StarlightSmiles)
    Oh my gosh. My mother has booked a last minute cruise for both of us and it's going around Jordan!!!

I GET TO SEE PETRA IN PERSON!!!!!!
    SQUEE!!!

I'm terribly excited.
    I'm jealous. I did a presentation about the history of Petra just yesterday.

Petra?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Petra?

It was in Indiana Jones: It was a famous ancient city which was occupied in later years by the Romans!

(Original post by StarlightSmiles)

It was in Indiana Jones: It was a famous ancient city which was occupied in later years by the Romans!
    Nice, sounds interesting.

I'd love to visit Jerusalem /random.

ReputationRep:
    Nice, sounds interesting.

I'd love to visit Jerusalem /random.
    Me too. I was thinking about travelling around Israel this summer but the safety issue and my lack of ability in spoken Hebrew scared me off it a bit....definitely somewhere to go if you have the opportunity to :daydreaming:

(Original post by medbh4805)
    Me too. I was thinking about travelling around Israel this summer but the safety issue and my lack of ability in spoken Hebrew scared me off it a bit....definitely somewhere to go if you have the opportunity to :daydreaming:
    My friend did Hebrew last year, she said she loved it but it's hard.

--

My dissertation is due in March 2014 and I've just requested a book from the British Library for it. :cool: My tutor said I have to read it before we go back to uni on 7th January.

10,000-12,000 words. :nooo: (The dissertation I mean, not the book).

ReputationRep:
    My friend did Hebrew last year, she said she loved it but it's hard.
    I can read it alright (not as well as Latin or Greek though...), but there's a world of different between reading synagogue services or the Torah and actually speaking it... though I suppose if you stayed in areas with a high number of tourists it might be alright :beard: that said my friend ended up getting the wrong train last year and ended up in the wrong end of Israel to where she was supposed to go :p:

(Original post by medbh4805)
    I can read it alright (not as well as Latin or Greek though...), but there's a world of different between reading synagogue services or the Torah and actually speaking it... though I suppose if you stayed in areas with a high number of tourists it might be alright :beard: that said my friend ended up getting the wrong train last year and ended up in the wrong end of Israel to where she was supposed to go :p:
    I used to be really good at reading French but "if you don't use it, you lose it."

Oh God, I would actually cry. I have to travel around Greece and Italy next summer pretty much alone and that's the kind of thing I'm dreading as I have no Greek or Italian!

Have you read 'The Discovery of Heaven'? Some of it is set in Jerusalem. It was originally written in Dutch. It's like The Da Vinci Code except it's very well written (I can't remember what it's about but I loved the book and the film which has Stephen Fry in life-scarring sex scenes).

ReputationRep:
    Anyone able to help me, I need to know a sufficient amount of information on the following sources:

Sallust
    Plutarch
    Suetonius
    Cicero
    Apion
    Dio
    Velius .P
    I need to have sufficient knoweldge of them in terms of methodology and reliability and validity.

Any help would be appreciated, anyone wish to take on the challenge :P

I GOT A FIRST FOR MY ESSAY ON OVID'S METAMORPHOSES. A HIGH FIRST.

That is all.

*vomits with happiness*

ReputationRep:

That is all.

*vomits with happiness*
    Well done!

I just handed in my Greek History essay on the fall of Sparta. I have a horrible feeling, even though I put loads of work in.

ReputationRep:

That is all.

*vomits with happiness*
    Congrats!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2016

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.