Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    I have no opinion of him - the London mayoral election doesn't affect me in the slightest.
    Do you only show concern for things that directly affect you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know - to be quite honest I don't know enough about the history of UK prime ministers to answer accurately.

I have no opinion of him - the London mayoral election doesn't affect me in the slightest.
    doesn't affect me either, but regardless of his politics he just comes across as a ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Do you only show concern for things that directly affect you?
    Not always, but the London mayoral election isn't really significant enough for me to care about, since it's mostly an election about local issues. Why should I care about what local issues each candidate would bring to London when I live hundreds of miles away?

(Original post by Moleman1996)
    doesn't affect me either, but regardless of his politics he just comes across as a ****
    I don't really know if he's a **** or not, I've done absolutely no research into it I'm going to say I want Boris to win, just because he's a bit of a legend.

ReputationRep:
    Not always, but the London mayoral election isn't really significant enough for me to care about, since it's mostly an election about local issues. Why should I care about what local issues each candidate would bring to London when I live hundreds of miles away?

I don't really know if he's a **** or not, I've done absolutely no research into it I'm going to say I want Boris to win, just because he's a bit of a legend.
    Boris needs to win if only for the sake of funny quotes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    Boris needs to win if only for the sake of funny quotes...
    I hope that this isn't the case...

ReputationRep:
    If anything, being mayor has tempered Boris's mentalness.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    When does TSR Labour plan to release their first manifesto mandated bill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    When does TSR Labour plan to release their first manifesto mandated bill?
    Our capital spending bill should be coming any day now, the reason for the delay is the fact it is cross party. National insurance has actually already been reformed in TSRland, which we didn't know at the time of the manifesto, so that's a null issue. We have two very large bills coming which contain within them our proposals on taxation, amongst other things, which should be coming very soon (the first is in final draft stage, the second nearing it). Funding green research is actually contained within our capital spending bill.

As far as I'm aware, the things we're missing are removing private school's charitable status, approaching the issue of tuition fees, creating apprenticeships, expanding use of renewable resources and working on subsidizing travel for young people. Not much, and a whole 5 months to go.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by TopHat)
    Our capital spending bill should be coming any day now, the reason for the delay is the fact it is cross party. National insurance has actually already been reformed in TSRland, which we didn't know at the time of the manifesto, so that's a null issue. We have two very large bills coming which contain within them our proposals on taxation, amongst other things, which should be coming very soon (the first is in final draft stage, the second nearing it). Funding green research is actually contained within our capital spending bill.

As far as I'm aware, the things we're missing are removing private school's charitable status, approaching the issue of tuition fees, creating apprenticeships, expanding use of renewable resources and working on subsidizing travel for young people. Not much, and a whole 5 months to go.
    Sounds good. Coincidental that I have a Bill funding green research ready to pop up next week.

Any details on when (roughly) these'll be submitted? Within a month etc.?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully within the next week to two weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question: Does Mad Dog know what a majority is?

I'll save you some time. He doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Who is your favourite character in Waterloo Rd?

I also watch it, haven't watched the last one yet.

What to you guys think about the idea of the UK becoming 'Britzerland'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    What to you guys think about the idea of the UK becoming 'Britzerland'?
    I think we should seek closer integration with the EU, so no I don't agree. However I think we could take some inspiration from Switzerland, especially in defence.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    I think we should seek closer integration with the EU, so no I don't agree. However I think we could take some inspiration from Switzerland, especially in defence.
    Why is the Labour party policy to disarm? Where would the people of Benghazi be now if not for British involvement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Why is the Labour party policy to disarm? Where would the people of Benghazi be now if not for British involvement?
    In Benghazi. It was not so long ago that Britain turned a blind eye to Libya's questionable record on things and offered them and sold the very weapons with which the Libyan régime battered the people of Benghazi with. It's rich to claim that Britain saved the people of Benghazi when we're the ones holding the blood-soaked cheques in the first place.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    In Benghazi. It was not so long ago that Britain turned a blind eye to Libya's questionable record on things and offered them and sold the very weapons with which the Libyan régime battered the people of Benghazi with. It's rich to claim that Britain saved the people of Benghazi when we're the ones holding the blood-soaked cheques in the first place.
    I agree, but my point still stands. Had it not been for the intervention of the British military in collaboration with others where would they be? Knowing that, why should we disarm? What is the logic behind the policy?

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but my point still stands. Had it not been for the intervention of the British military in collaboration with others where would they be? Knowing that, why should we disarm? What is the logic behind the policy?
    We weren't the only nation involved in that coalition, so the people of Benghazi would be grateful to the French and Italians rather than us. That I can live with. The logic behind disarmament is that for the past 500 year the nations of the British Isles - England in particular - have been one of the most war-like and conflict prone on the planet. We have subjugated peoples from the Irish through to the Kenyans, Native Americans, and others and it's really time for that to stop. Our place in the world is as Europeans and heaven knows we Europeans have plenty of problems of our own to deal with. It's time to stop thinking ourselves a superpower. We haven't been one for nearly a century.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    We weren't the only nation involved in that coalition, so the people of Benghazi would be grateful to the French and Italians rather than us. That I can live with. The logic behind disarmament is that for the past 500 year the nations of the British Isles - England in particular - have been one of the most war-like and conflict prone on the planet. We have subjugated peoples from the Irish through to the Kenyans, Native Americans, and others and it's really time for that to stop. Our place in the world is as Europeans and heaven knows we Europeans have plenty of problems of our own to deal with. It's time to stop thinking ourselves a superpower. We haven't been one for nearly a century.
    Just because we aren't a superpower doesn't mean that we should disarm. Our forces (and please note that I'm focusing on the UK because this is what I'm primarily asking about) have done a lot of good in Libya in particular. By your logic, we're one of the fattest countries on the planet so should ban food.

ReputationRep:
    Just because we aren't a superpower doesn't mean that we should disarm. Our forces (and please note that I'm focusing on the UK because this is what I'm primarily asking about) have done a lot of good in Libya in particular. By your logic, we're one of the fattest countries on the planet so should ban food.
    No, that's not really the logic at all. The logic, in your counter-example, would be that we're one of the fattest countries on the planet and so should eat less and share a bit more. I doesn't mean suddenly being without armed forces, to return to the point, but rather to cut down to the share that we absolutely need for our own defence and nothing more. We ought not to be the world's police any longer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.