Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Current Year 13 thread Mark I (2014-2015) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just realised I have to rewrite most of my personal statement cause I decided to apply for different courses help help help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Anyone want to aid me with a maths puzzle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll give it a go!

(Original post by Red Fox)
    I'm unsure on how to actually talk about further reading on a personal statement, any advice?
    I'm having this problem too I think last time I said a bit about what I'd learnt from a book and how I'd read into it afterwards, then linked it to an article I'd read somewhere else. At one point I tied it all into my EPQ, but then dropped EPQ so had to change it back... I always felt like it was the weakest part of my personal statement though and that I could have made more of it but really not sure how, sorry!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by izzyfreak)
    Just realised I have to rewrite most of my personal statement cause I decided to apply for different courses help help help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At least you have something down to start off with, it's better than nothing! Why don't you try and write what you want for the other courses and then you can merge them together and cut it down afterwards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    I'll give it a go!

I'm having this problem too I think last time I said a bit about what I'd learnt from a book and how I'd read into it afterwards, then linked it to an article I'd read somewhere else. At one point I tied it all into my EPQ, but then dropped EPQ so had to change it back... I always felt like it was the weakest part of my personal statement though and that I could have made more of it but really not sure how, sorry!
    Yeah the EPQ is a really good tie-in but I'm not doing it. Thanks for the help anyway.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah the EPQ is a really good tie-in but I'm not doing it. Thanks for the help anyway.
    Nor did I in the end, that's why I had the problem Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    New here in the process of finishing personal statement, still can't decide on which 5 unis

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Elia. I am studying English lit &lang, Photography and Media Studies and hope to go to University this coming September. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madeofstone1804)
    Hi, my name is Elia. I am studying English lit &lang, Photography and Media Studies and hope to go to University this coming September. What about you?
    Hii! I'm studying chem, bio and maths - what are applying for?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    Doesn't matter, you don't have to! I'd forgotten anyway and I have absolutely no clue what I said in them

That's further than I've got, not really organised anything yet although I am trying to get a job/some work experience! I'm staying with physics I think, just need to decide where now :yep: How's BMAT going? Have you redone UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, I can't remember either.

Ah well, you have plenty of time :yep: Sounds awesome :awesome: It's not going badly thanks, much better than last year which is good as I just missed Imperial's cut off by a couple of marks in just one section so hopefully I should be able to meet it this time around! :crossedf: I have indeed! Much surpassed my score from last year

How have you been passing time then?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Haha, I can't remember either.

Ah well, you have plenty of time :yep: Sounds awesome :awesome: It's not going badly thanks, much better than last year which is good as I just missed Imperial's cut off by a couple of marks in just one section so hopefully I should be able to meet it this time around! :crossedf: I have indeed! Much surpassed my score from last year

How have you been passing time then?
    Good, well done! I've not been doing a huge amount if I'm honest, was busy over the holidays but been ill again the last couple of weeks so other than trying to sort out m personal statement and some work experience and things not really been doing a lot I need to sot myself put and start doing things again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll give it a go!

Right. Basically you have the numbers 1-9 (only use each once) and you have to put them in a four by four grid like this:

And add left right top to bottom so

14 + 32 + 13 + 42 = 101

And see how many combinations to 200 you can get. I can't get any

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madeofstone1804)
    hey I do maths, geography and art, hoping to do geography at uni next September.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Right. Basically you have the numbers 1-9 (only use each once) and you have to put them in a four by four grid like this:

14 + 32 + 13 + 42 = 101

Posted from TSR Mobile
    6 1
    5 7

61+57+65+17=200?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

14 + 32 + 13 + 42 = 101

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I found one on my fifth attempt Will let you know when I've got some more

ReputationRep:
    Sent off my application today

Well, I mean, handed it in to Head of Oxbridge... just need to wait and meet with my UCAS referee now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm unsure on how to actually talk about further reading on a personal statement, any advice?
    Bit late, sorry, but you should make it sound as independent as you can, something like 'I read "X". I found "Y" really interesting and decided to learn more online.' Or you could say it improved your appreciation for whatever the book is about I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Bit late, sorry, but you should make it sound as independent as you can, something like 'I read "X". I found "Y" really interesting and decided to learn more online.' Or you could say it improved your appreciation for whatever the book is about I suppose.
    Thanks for the help
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    QFA
    I'm bored so I tried to work out a general rule to the potential solutions. I'm not sure but it seems if you define the four digits you want to be \begin{pmatrix} a & b\\c & d \end{pmatrix} you just need to satisfy a+1=d and b+c = 18-2a (assuming the digits are between 1 and 9). Not a huge help I guess but it could be useful if you want to check a solution.

Spoiler:
    Show

If you break the problem down, it's basically just:

200 = (10a+b)+(10c+d)+(10a+c)+(10b+d)

= 20a+11(b+c)+2d

I noticed in all the solutions I'm getting the four digits add to 19, so a+b+c+d=19

Rearrange to get b+c = 19-a-d

Substitute to get 20a+11(19-a-d)+2d

Expand to get 9a-9d+209=200

9(a-d)=-9

a-d=-1

a+1=d

Substitute into b+c to get b+c=18-2a

ReputationRep:
    At what point is it okay to say 'that's enough' vis a vis characters on the PS?

On the one hand I'm pretty sure I've done all I can without overtly waffling in just over 3,800 characters, on the other hand, I have nearly 200 more to go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    At what point is it okay to say 'that's enough' vis a vis characters on the PS?

On the one hand I'm pretty sure I've done all I can without overtly waffling in just over 3,800 characters, on the other hand, I have nearly 200 more to go?
    Copy and paste it into ucas and click preview to see if you're within the 47 line limit.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.