Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody else who applied for the Mphil in Early Modern History heard back yet? Applied beginning of January and still waiting.

ReputationRep:
    Still awaiting consideration by department... They said they would be looking at applications by the end of February, so I don't think it looks good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperdoorway)
    Hi, I have a question regarding funding. For anybody who got the "Cambridge Trust Scholarship (postgraduate)" before, when it says on the website the value of it is "Contribution towards University Composition Fee" how much would that be? Say, if you are an International applicant and your university fees are around 20000 GBP how much of this "contribution" can we expect?

Just tryna see if I can somehow afford Cambridge though it's an unlikely dream at this point!
    I think the reason they don't specify is that there are different kinds of "Cambridge Trust Scholarship[s] (postgraduate)". The one I got a few years ago was called the Santander Cambridge Scholarship, which contributed £10,000 towards my course fees. I don't think these partial awards offer more than this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhd14)
    M.Phil in Bioscience Enterprise
    I also applied for this course (but late feb) and haven't heard anything yet, do you think they've assigned all the spots?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone who has applied for the Advanced Diploma in Economics heard back from the department ??

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard from the Vice-Chancellor's Award? They told me they will begin to send letters this week, but I have not heard anything from them so far... Also, my department told me I have been shortlisted among the 250 students referred to on this page:
    https://www.cambridgetrust.org/schol...-scholarships/ supposedly the highest ranked students. But do you know if all of these 250 students indeed receive some funding as the webpage suggests or if it is not always the case..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zigsun)
    I think the reason they don't specify is that there are different kinds of "Cambridge Trust Scholarship[s] (postgraduate)". The one I got a few years ago was called the Santander Cambridge Scholarship, which contributed £10,000 towards my course fees. I don't think these partial awards offer more than this.
    I was wondering the same thing. But only £10,000? If that's the case, I definitely can't take up my place. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gh236)
    Has anyone heard anything about the MPhil in American History, or from the Faculty of History in general?
    Not the way you mean, but...

Had you had a chance to compare the two Oxbridge US History departments with any rigour? I'm thinking about doing a doctorate and have found things to like at both places, but would welcome other opinions, as I am not in the Academy full-time right now.

ReputationRep:
    My application for Part III maths just changed to degree committee after being under consideration by department for a month.

Is this good or does it mean nothing in particular?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    Still awaiting consideration by department... They said they would be looking at applications by the end of February, so I don't think it looks good!
    It's killing meeeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobsErica)
    It's killing meeeeee
    me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pallavipanda)
    I suppose (and hope) it means that they would probably contribute your university fees but wont give you a stipend or support your maintenance fee.

This particular funding would still be a great help if nothing else works out!
    I wish this were the case but I have a feeling its just partial funding of the total university fee, which doesn't sound like much at all.

(Original post by zigsun)
    10000 GBP is not gonna get me to Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    I doubt there is a pattern, but I'm getting desperate; what time of day and/or week did people typically receive initial offers or interview invites?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I just received a conditional offer to read MPhil F&E. During my application, I did not state my preference for a college. I was wondering - what are the odds of getting placed into a good college? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farchitect)
    I doubt there is a pattern, but I'm getting desperate; what time of day and/or week did people typically receive initial offers or interview invites?
    I got both interview invites on Friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    I can feel your pain =(
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Farchitect)
    Guys, joking aside, you have to get serious about these waits. The timing an email is sent depends on the individual workload of an individual department secretary - what time do you send emails?

People seem to assume that because it's Cambridge, they have some super, high powered technical process that streamlines every single application through the exact same machine. Actually, because it's Cambridge, and it is trying to select the best of the best, in a very diverse applicant pool, they handle each file individually - they have a complex framework of rules and conventions, but each application is then handled individually within that, mainly because of the need to fit dissertation/thesis subjects to specific individuals. They don't just say - Oh this research proposal mentions war canoes, make them an offer and allocate it to Professor Paddle. They send the paperwork to Professor Paddle then find he's halfway up the Orinoco for 6 weeks and so the application sits in his pigeon hole, and then when he gets back he points out the research proposal is really about the development of Polynesian trade and would be better supervised by Dr Pareto in the Economics department so the file goes there ....

And as to what time emails are sent - whatever time the fraught and overworked departmental secretary sets aside that week to sending emails that have to be double and triple checked for accuracy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnApple)
    Hey guys, I just received a conditional offer to read MPhil F&E. During my application, I did not state my preference for a college. I was wondering - what are the odds of getting placed into a good college? Thanks
    32/32 mate they're all good colleges at the end of the day. Your academic hours are usually spent at your department anyway, and all colleges have something good and unique to offer - it's all Cambridge in the end! I appreciate your worry, I had it myself not too many weeks ago, but I promise you you'll be pleased regardless, if not at first, then at least when you start your course in October !

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Graduate secretary has told me some days ago that College scholarships (perhaps except for those Colleges organize on their own...) are being allocated now and that we will likely be informed this week. Has anybody heard something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Guys, joking aside, you have to get serious about these waits. The timing an email is sent depends on the individual workload of an individual department secretary - what time do you send emails?

People seem to assume that because it's Cambridge, they have some super, high powered technical process that streamlines every single application through the exact same machine. Actually, because it's Cambridge, and it is trying to select the best of the best, in a very diverse applicant pool, they handle each file individually - they have a complex framework of rules and conventions, but each application is then handled individually within that, mainly because of the need to fit dissertation/thesis subjects to specific individuals. They don't just say - Oh this research proposal mentions war canoes, make them an offer and allocate it to Professor Paddle. They send the paperwork to Professor Paddle then find he's halfway up the Orinoco for 6 weeks and so the application sits in his pigeon hole, and then when he gets back he points out the research proposal is really about the development of Polynesian trade and would be better supervised by Dr Pareto in the Economics department so the file goes there ....

And as to what time emails are sent - whatever time the fraught and overworked departmental secretary sets aside that week to sending emails that have to be double and triple checked for accuracy!
    I am now really dissapointed that there is no Professor Paddle with an expertise on war canoes.

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.