Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For paper 1 I got around 76 and for paper 2 I got around 96, what grade do you think that will be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah2360)
    For paper 1 I got around 76 and for paper 2 I got around 96, what grade do you think that will be?
    An excellent chance of being (but not guaranteed) A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by failureofaperson)
    I'm sure you're just being too harsh on yourself!! What are you aiming for?
    an A which I am not gonna get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purpleunicorn197)
    Hi I'm going to start and unofficial markscheme so add your answers
    Reps are not necessary but would be appreciated

Sorry for the hold up with the questions
    1. Order numbers correctly and include a key (Stem and leaf) (3 marks)
    b) 9/20=
    0.45 (2 marks)
    2a. 5a*2b*3c =
    30abc (1 mark)
    b. Factorise fully 3y +6 =
    3(y+2) (1 mark)
    c. Expand x(x-3)=
    x^2-3x (1 mark)
    3. Perimeter of a rectangle with side lengths x and x+4 is 45
    x+x+x+4+x+4= 4x+8
    4x+8=45
    4x=37
    x=9.25 (3 marks)
    4. Smallest packet was best value for money because it was cheapest per bag of crisps (4 marks)
    5. 4 times as many red than green: There were 0.4 blue and 0.15 yellow.
    0.4+0.15+4x+x=1
    0.55+5x=1
    5x=0.45
    x=0.09
    4x=0.36
    Green- 0.09 Red- 0.36 (3 marks)
    6a. Body mass index= m/h^2
    Mass= 50kg
    Height= 1.57m
    20.3 (2 marks)
    b. What mass will result in a BMI of 21 with a height of 1.8m
    68.04kg (2 marks)
    c. Tom's skis can be a maximum of 145% of his height what is their max. tenght (Tom is 1.8m)
    2.61m (3 marks)
    7. Trial and error. x^3-5x=34 with a number between 3 and 4
    x^3-5x=34
    3.7 gives you 32.153 which is too small
    3.8 gives you 35.872 which is too big
    So you go in the middle at 3.75 and if it is too big then its you go with the smaller option and viceversa so 3.75 gives you 33.984375 which is too small so you go for the larger option of 3.8
    3.8 (4 marks)
    8a. Photographs with of width 720 pixels and a height of 540 pixels what is the ratio width:height in its simplest form?
    4:3 (2 marks)
    b. The person now wants the ratio to be 2:3, without changing the width of the picture, what is the new height?
    480 pixels (2 marks)
    9.x= 124 degrees (4 marks)
    10. Mean of grouper freq. table 396(freq.*midpoint total)/50 (freq. total)
    7.92 (4 marks)
    11. Colin's drive to work
    £42.29 (5 marks)
    12. The middle angle of a pentagon
    x=144 degrees (4 marks)
    -2 -1 0 1 2
    -1 3 1 -1 3 (2 marks)
    Draw curve (2 marks)
    14. steel bar with length of 120cm and a cross sectional area of 72cm^2 and a density of 8g/cm^3. A trolley can carry 250kg so how many bars can it carry?
    3 Bars (5 marks)
    15. Pauls buys a car worth 15,000 pounds and the value depreciates by 23% in the first year and 18% after the first year. Has Paul's car lost half of its value in theree years?
    No, because 7766.22 was greater than 7500 pounds (4 marks)
    16. Median on cumulative freq. graph
    128g (1 mark)
    b. Use graph to find interquartile range
    11g (2 marks)
    17. Triangle with sides 15.6cm (opp), 18(hyp). Angle is split into 2, 30 degrees and x degrees. the whole angle is 60.1 so
    x=30.1 (4 marks)
    18. 10a^5b^4 (2 marks)
    b. y= 5p^2-x (3 marks)
    19. 51 out of the 234 were maths in yr 12 so 50 * 51/234
    11 males (2 marks)
    20. 3x^2 + 6x -2
    x= 0.29 or x= -2.29 (3 marks)
    21. v=14 to 2 s.f u= 8.7 to 2 s.f
    What is the upper bound of I when I= 5(v-u)
    29.25 (3 marks)
    22. Histogram -F.d- 1.6, 3.2, 2.4, 1.8, 0.3 (3 marks)
    23. Perimeter of the shaded part of the sector.
    Measurements were 4+4+5/2pi+25/6pi
    28.9 (3 marks)
    24a. Simplify (3-x)/3x^2-5x-12
    -1/3x+4 (2 marks)
    b. Write are one fraction in its simplest for (x/x-1)- (x/x+1)
    2x/(x+1)(x-1) (3 marks)
    25. Triangle with side lengths 7 and 8 finding the top angle using 1/2absinC , sine rule and cosine rule
    80.4 (6 marks)

How much do you think it would be for an A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurpartapl)
    Made the same mistake on the 2015 mock, ahhh this time i put the key in first before doing anything.

Don't worry about it, everyone's bound to make silly mistakes, its very hard to avoid them. Especially under pressure of exams.
    Yeah exactly :/

ReputationRep:
    Guys in question 11 if i rounded the gallons off to 2 early and then i didnt times the 18 miles by 2 but i did everything correct how many marks should i get

Also if on the quadratic equation i got 0.29 and 2.29 but without the minus how many marks will that be

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sehrishnaveed12)
    How much do you think it would be for an A?
    Looking at all the posts and comments on the Edexcel Paper 1 and 2 for maths gcse, i think its safe to say that the grade boundaries are going to be marginally higher than last years. Since last year was 125/200 for A... I suppose this year should be based at 130 - 136 for a A.

PS: I am not part of Edexcel obviously so don't take my word for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legend.786)
    Guys in question 11 if i rounded the gallons off to 2 early and then i didnt times the 18 miles by 2 but i did everything correct how many marks should i get

Also if on the quadratic equation i got 0.29 and 2.29 but without the minus how many marks will that be

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For question 11.. i am not sure how you got 2 gallons, i got 3.9 so on... which i rounded to 4. And everyone in my class also got 4 gallons. So best case scenario i think you got 2/5 (follow through marks).

For the second question, just showing the substitution of values in the quadratic equation should gain you one mark, then using calculator to get the correct values combo should get you the other two. So i am afraid 1/3... If you correctly substituted and used quadratic formula correctly, you should get 0.29 and -2.29.

ReputationRep:
    Hey for 1b i must have miscounted and put 9/20 will i still get one mark for putting it out of20 ??

ReputationRep:
    I got 2 gallons for question 11 because i did not times the 18 miles by 2 so i did 18*5 and then divided it by 45.2 and got 1.9925 which i rounded to 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also i did everything right but i forgot to add the minus in the quadratic question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrPeter)
    I cannot believe how much time and space has been devoted to such a simple question (Trial and Improvement) and all over 1 mark. Thank God it's been taken off the specification for next year !!!
    Yeah but its getting replaced by the iterative formula method for approximation of cubic equation roots..

ReputationRep:
    Hey for question 1b i miscounted and wrote10/20 will istill get 1 mark likewisefor the histograms i messed up the last f.d and ended up with 3.0 willinstill get the mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gigge)
    Hey for question 1b i miscounted and wrote 9/20 will i still get one mark? And also for the histogram i made one error on thr f.d will instill get 2/3?
    1b is 9/20 or 0.45.. so you should gain full marks for that.

And for that histogram, not sure at all :/

ReputationRep:
    1b is 9/20 or 0.45.. so you should gain full marks for that.

And for that histogram, not sure at all :/
    Meant 10/20

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gigge)
    Meant 10/20
    Well then i dont think that will gain any marks, but dont stress about it, honestly not worth it.. Whats done is done and all we can do is move forward

ReputationRep:
    I think the grade boundaries will be 132 because in my opinion the forst paper was easier than last years but the second papers were about the same and even the first paper the last question was much more harder and the second paper was a lot wordier

Your opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Looking at all the posts and comments on the Edexcel Paper 1 and 2 for maths gcse, i think its safe to say that the grade boundaries are going to be marginally higher than last years. Since last year was 125/200 for A... I suppose this year should be based at 130 - 136 for a A.

PS: I am not part of Edexcel obviously so don't take my word for it.
    i dont know why i have a feeling the grade boundaries are going to be lower because of the first non-calulator paper. i feel i did a lot better in the calculator paper but im not sure if it was enough to get an A. i really dont want a B but i just dont know. i think it may be around 115-120/200. (hopefully).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sehrishnaveed12)
    i dont know why i have a feeling the grade boundaries are going to be lower because of the first non-calulator paper. i feel i did a lot better in the calculator paper but im not sure if it was enough to get an A. i really dont want a B but i just dont know. i think it may be around 115-120/200. (hopefully).
    It definitely won't be that Low for an A. The paper wasn't even harder than last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrPeter)
    I cannot believe how much time and space has been devoted to such a simple question (Trial and Improvement) and all over 1 mark. Thank God it's been taken off the specification for next year !!!
    Its 3/4 marks though?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.