Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eurovision Song Contest 2011 Society Watch

ReputationRep:
    I actually loved Jedward tonight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    Scandinavian scumbags.
    I personally don't get it. Norwegians love the UK. The Norwegian commentator was cheering for the UK, Sweden and Denmark. I would have given more. But it was a bit laughable how Norway voted for Finland, Denmark and Sweden. Usually we vote for other countries that aren't Nordic as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowplay)
    South Africa should definitely join!
    They would win too!

Just enter these guys:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    To be fair, if those countries are already eligible, the requests of the other countries you previously mentioned don't seem as unreasonable. Strange. :lolwut:
    I find Qatar pushing it more than them - it's much more in to Asia surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    In other news Iran, Azerbaijan and Turkey join the Eurozone.
    Following that report, let's hear about the man who can't read. Tell us more about Reformed2010, Graham...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neillya1)
    Not sure if anyone is aware, but the following countries are applying for permission to join the EBU and take part in Eurovision:

Kazakhstan
    Morocco
    Qatar
    If Turkey is allowed in then I suppose you can't really exclude Kazakhstan. The vast majority of its territory must be in Asia though. Morocco? Well, it's close. As for Qatar. Qatar? Qatar? Nowhere near Europe, but I've heard if Australia wanted to join Eurovision they would be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    They would win too!

Just enter these guys:

Love it!!!

ReputationRep:
    Azerbaijan were one of my favourites happy for them I've liked all their songs so far it was about time they won. I really wanted Sweden to win. Great that Ireland came 8th a big improvement from last and UK came 12th . It was good that the 12pts varied .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Following that report, let's hear about the man who can't read. Tell us more about Reformed2010, Graham...
    The United Nations considers (as a result of majority of the population) Azerbaijan as Western Asia, based on my own research so do I. Good enough for me, over to you Graham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    If Turkey is allowed in then I suppose you can't really exclude Kazakhstan. The vast majority of its territory must be in Asia though. Morocco? Well, it's close. As for Qatar. Qatar? Qatar? Nowhere near Europe, but I've heard if Australia wanted to join Eurovision they would be allowed.

I'd say Kazakhstan is pretty conclusively in Asia, it borders China..... I guess it's still kinda a grey zone but I'd say central Asia? It would be like allowing Mongolia in to Eurovision because it borders Russia......

And apparently Australia can get in if they apply to be a full EBU member, as can any country They're already a contributor to it and buy TV rights from them, so it's only one step up....
    If you look at the list of contributors, there's countries like Nepal, Palestine, South Africa, New Zealand etc who could all in theory join.

To be honest I'd quite like that - A worldwide version Just don't call it Eurovision!

(Original post by Shadowplay)
    Love it!!!
    They are AMAZING

ReputationRep:
    I find Qatar pushing it more than them - it's much more in to Asia surely?
    damn what is with Qatar and illegitimate selection these days, first getting the world cup, surprising everyone but the rich higher ups in Qatar and entering Eurovision? gawd :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSmartie)
    Now that would be amazing! :cool:
    Which song would they do on the night though?
    Blind Faith!!!! Without a doubt! That would absolutely kill at eurovision! As long as we could get the actual singers there!

I'm getting really excited, as though it'd ever happen :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So. I think I need to interfere and correct some people.

1) Azerbaijan is not a muslim country. It is a secular country, with the majority of people being muslim. (there is less people wearing head-scarfs than in UK)
    2) Some part of Azerbaijan lies in Europe, the other part in Asia. Believe me, I know what I am saying. I've been studying geography of this country for a long period of time.
    3) If this was absolutely political, then the winner would be same each year. E.G. Sometimes Russia comes 1st, sometimes 17th. SO this means it's not just politics. there is something in the song as well.
    4) I don't think Azerbaijan is that popular in europe to get so many votes. As they got so many, then europe must have liked them.
    5) Don't worry, they do have nice hotels, and they CAN afford next Eurovision.
    6) I have been there many times, and it is one of the beautiful countries I've ever seen. Baku, the capital, always reminds me of London. Very majestic.
    7) For those who think it is not a winning song:
    Did you like Lena's last years performance? with stupid lyrics, saying: I bought new underwear, they’re blue
    And I wore ‘em just the other day????? Do you think THIS shameful song deserved to win, but Azerbaijan's
    romantic performance didn't? Lena's song is what should make you worried about Europe's taste.
    8) Stop being jealous that they won! If the majority of Europe thinks so, you can do nothing about it. You'll say politics? No! Countries like San-Marino, Malta, Cyprus, Iceland, Poland, Croatia, Romania, Portugal, Bosnia and Herz, and Austria HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH AZERBAIJAN, BUT STILL GAVE 8-12 POINTS TO THEM! They are not bordering it, they are not Soviet Union countries, they are not muslim countries.
    9) Just accept it. In my opinion this song and Greece's entry were the best songs that ever participated in Eurovision.

Thanks for your attention

ReputationRep:
    Kinda disappointed with UK result... they should have made it top 5. Graham Norton was epic though.

ReputationRep:
    Blue's performance was a bit shoddy to be honest, did not sound great and definitely sounded out of tune. Maybe a semi-final would have helped them, as they would be experiencing the stage with a full audience in front. I've definitely heard them sound better than that,that just sounded mediocre. They would have done better if it sounded better and more polished. As for Ireland's vote, I think it was distinctly influenced by that and the fact that Blue have ****ged Jedward off. No need for that rudeness. So did Eric Saade of Sweden, don't think he placed well in our vote either. So moral of the story, don't **** off a country's act! Jedward sounded much better than they did in the semi-final, and more confident. They really are model performers...no *****iness, no late nights, no drinking, no misbehaviour and they rehearsed every chance they got. Should have placed higher but really happy with that, 8th! Fair play they worked so hard for it, most emmorable act in years and will be the best Ireland ever does again I think. As is stands it's Ireland's best result in 15 years.

ReputationRep:
    So...Were Russia actually singing about rape? Ballsy.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds much better here....

Oh well. At least we beat France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fidan134)
    So. I think I need to interfere and correct some people.

1) Azerbaijan is not a muslim country. It is a secular country, with the majority of people being muslim. (there is less people wearing head-scarfs than in UK)
    2) Some part of Azerbaijan lies in Europe, the other part in Asia. Believe me, I know what I am saying. I've been studying geography of this country for a long period of time.
    3) If this was absolutely political, then the winner would be same each year. E.G. Sometimes Russia comes 1st, sometimes 17th. SO this means it's not just politics. there is something in the song as well.
    4) I don't think Azerbaijan is that popular in europe to get so many votes. As they got so many, then europe must have liked them.
    5) Don't worry, they do have nice hotels, and they CAN afford next Eurovision.
    6) I have been there many times, and it is one of the beautiful countries I've ever seen. Baku, the capital, always reminds me of London. Very majestic.
    7) For those who think it is not a winning song:
    Did you like Lena's last years performance? with stupid lyrics, saying: I bought new underwear, they’re blue
    And I wore ‘em just the other day????? Do you think THIS shameful song deserved to win, but Azerbaijan's
    romantic performance didn't? Lena's song is what should make you worried about Europe's taste.
    8) Stop being jealous that they won! If the majority of Europe thinks so, you can do nothing about it. You'll say politics? No! Countries like San-Marino, Malta, Cyprus, Iceland, Poland, Croatia, Romania, Albania, Portugal, Lithuania, Bosnia and Herz, Austria and Estonia HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH AZERBAIJAN, BUT STILL GAVE 8-12 POINTS TO THEM! They are not bordering it, they are not Soviet Union countries, they are not muslim countries.
    9) Just accept it. In my opinion this song and Greece's entry were the best songs that ever participated in Eurovision.

Thanks for your attention
    Well said.

This was Azerbaijan's fourth appearance at Eurovision since debuting in 2008, and they've never come lower than 8th. They have sent songs that have been consistently good - power pop etc. Pure Eurovision gold. I'm glad they won, I backed them in 2007 and it's nice to see it finally paid off for them.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that really annoyed me about the ESC this year, was all the FB comments saying "oh the balkonvision" or "asiavision". I mean, I did not like Azer and I found her voice to be all over the place. But it's just a TV show :/

Also, when Graham Norton said that the indival song "Oh Johnny - Jan Delay" was best suited for a wedding, made me realise that he doesn't speak any German :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Italy should have won, they were brilliant!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.