The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2300
BB will sort Haynesworth out. Just like Randy Moss when his career was looking like it was over...BB resurrected him into the best WR in the NFL. IF Haynesworth is on top of his game, a Wilfork/Haynesworth defensive combo will be great.
I agree is Ocho, he'll be Brady's deep target. The Pats didn't have a deep threat for most of last season due to Welker/Branch being small yardage targets, so Ocho gives Brady a whole variety of options.
That's a big 'if' with Haynesworth. He's already missed several practices which is kinda spitting in the face of his new team. This is a real opportunity for him to do well with a team potentially set for big things - they confounded a few expectations last season which looked like a rebuilding year and who I think people in the know will predict to go deep into the post-season again.
Reply 2302
I dislike Belichik, but that's because he's so boring with the media. Anyway, I'd play for him anyday and I'm sure Haynesworth is glad to get out of Washington because he gets to play under a system of his liking. He'll do his job. I'm jealous the Pats got him.

Oh, and he's missed practices because of an "undisclosed injury."
Belichick will sort Haynesworth out or somehow manage to trade him and screw some team out of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft picks for the next few years. It's what he does best.
Original post by AndyK67
Here's a question. Why oh why did New England go for Albert Haynesworth? Granted that on his day in Tennessee he was some player, but when he went to Washington he did nothing. Looks like it'll be that way again with the Pats unless BB delivers a rollicking and a half.

Ocho could be a great acquisition though - possibly a Randy Moss Mk.II if he keeps his head down and works hard.

Why not? Its a no lose situation-if it works he gets an all-pro standard DT like we saw in Tenesse for 3-4 years. If not he loses a 5th rounder (IIRC) which was unlikely to make the cut anyways...
Original post by AndyK67

Ocho could be a great acquisition though - possibly a Randy Moss Mk.II if he keeps his head down and works hard.

Completely disagree to be honest.

Ocho could b great, but can't hold a flame to Moss.
Reply 2306
Original post by The Patriot
Completely disagree to be honest.

Ocho could b great, but can't hold a flame to Moss.

Brady made Moss who he was.

Sure look at him at Min; a shadow of the receiver he was at NE.
Original post by tbag1

That was pretty much my reasoning - Ocho hasn't played with a great quarterback, much like Moss hadn't played with one prior to going to the Pats. OK, he played with some decent ones, but none who could touch Brady.
Reply 2308
Original post by AndyK67
That was pretty much my reasoning - Ocho hasn't played with a great quarterback, much like Moss hadn't played with one prior to going to the Pats. OK, he played with some decent ones, but none who could touch Brady.

I could play WR for the Pats with Brady throwing it to me, like! :lol:
Are people forgetting how good Moss was his first few years with the Vikings? He posted better stats there than at New England, bar the season he got 23 TDs.
- Haynesworth will be a beast this year, if not on every down then certainly as an impact substitute in short yardage.
- Ocho will be alright but not great, he will be exposed as the distinctly average receiver he is by the rest of the Pats setup. It's not hard to look good when you play for the Bungles.
- Moss was great in Minnesota and also for the Pats, but in a different way. He's a sure Hall of Famer and part of me was glad to see him retire after that extremely poor last season.
Original post by tbag1

Original post by AndyK67

Make no mistake about it, Randy Moss is at least the second best, if not the best deep threat Wide Receiver of all time.

He was incredible in Minnesota the first time, then he had problems in Oakland. He came to New England and had the best season by a receiver ever. Then at the end of his Pats career he dropped off (despite Tom Brady still being there, and actually improving to a certain degree). His drop off continued in Minnesota.

As for Ocho being anywhere near Moss, it's not going to happen because they're different players.

Moss is a pure deep threat who blows the top off a defense. Ocho is a medium depth route runner who makes plays under the middle and tries for YAC. It's like saying that Steven Jackson (Rams) would do the same as CJ2K if he played for the Titans. They just wouldn't. Jackson is a big, lumbering between the tackles brute, whereas CJ2K bumps it outside and speeds past the defense.

As for the whole "product of Brady" thing, every great WR has had a QB throwing to them. Jerry Rice had Joe Montana for god's sake. And nobody talks about Rice being a product of Montana do they?
Reply 2312
Not sure if anybody watched Redskins/Ravens last night, but what a game!
I know it's only preseason but it's really got me in the mood for football. Amazing commentary by Ray Lewis might I add, and Flacco's got some nuts for throwing water over him mid interview :P

Tyrod Taylor and Tandon Doss look good so far.
How's everyone else finding their rookies this preseason?
Should have watched that instead of the Bengals game :frown:
Anyone else involved in playoff football this weekend?
Original post by georgegabriel
Anyone else involved in playoff football this weekend?

I would havve been if I was still at Bulls! But as it stands, no I'm not :frown:
Curtis Painter had a good performance against our defence last night :facepalm:

On the plus side though, Finley's looking sharp. Can't wait to see him get his game on in the regular season :woohoo:
Original post by Scott129
Curtis Painter had a good performance against our defence last night :facepalm:

On the plus side though, Finley's looking sharp. Can't wait to see him get his game on in the regular season :woohoo:

Painter has some fantastic weapons though....

And Finley is SOOOO hungry after seeing his team win a Superbowl without him.
Watched the first half. Painter looked good in his own right and the first two balls he threw were right on the money but put down by his fantastic weapons (which was pretty funny after what Reggie Wayne was saying in the week) so he really should have looked even better. He threw a couple of worm burners but did well considering the pressure he was under. The pass blocking didn't really have a great game either. I like Painter and I hope he does well.

Colts pass rush was good, I think a more worrying thing for a Packers fan is how many times Rodgers got hit than the fact that a very good offense had a good game against their D.
Original post by burningnun
Watched the first half. Painter looked good in his own right and the first two balls he threw were right on the money but put down by his fantastic weapons (which was pretty funny after what Reggie Wayne was saying in the week) so he really should have looked even better. He threw a couple of worm burners but did well considering the pressure he was under. The pass blocking didn't really have a great game either. I like Painter and I hope he does well.

Colts pass rush was good, I think a more worrying thing for a Packers fan is how many times Rodgers got hit than the fact that a very good offense had a good game against their D.

That too. On paper, we have an awesome O-line. A pro-bowler in Clifton, future pro-bowlers in Bulaga and Sitton (imo) and Wells and Lang are solid as well. Just can't seem to get it going atm.

Latest