Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deFossard)
    On an Oxford related note, I've been modifying an old racing bicycle for university. I should really stop acting as if I'm ready to pack my bags and go. Is it easy to take a bike there in the first week? I hope I don't have to fiddle about getting it checked in or something at college.
    Woo for old racing bicycles! I have an old Holdsworth (from the early seventies I think) which I'll be taking with me to Ox and I am so ready to go now! I actually started sorting my room out yesterday trying to work out what stuff I'll be taking with me

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Hertford looks wonderful, I've seen that front quad from watching Brideshead countless times!I've heard there was a rivalry, I wondered where it stemmed from, but I never read any more. I kind of wished it was like the (apparently violent) Jesus/Exeter one.

Well I've chosen to study Britain 1685 - 1830 and European 1400 - 1650, as well as translating Alexis de Tocqueville's L'Ancien Regime. I'm a real fan of eighteenths century and imperial British history, and after I studied Philip II of Spain for AS I wanted to get more stuck into Renaissance Europe. I'm plodding through the French translation at the moment. Slow work, but rather fun. What did you study in your first year?
    It's just that you're old and posh and we're the poor cousin next door. I'm not sure that most Magdalenites even know the rivary exists to be honest! It's not serious, although the gate across the bridge between our two grounds is locked because there was apparantly a spate of vandalism - "Catz Rules" being painted on your walls and the like, which is just stupid. The deer incident is probably legend but that's definitely true, we were warned about it. Most of the time it's just us being smug when we beat you at things

Ah, good choice! I did that European paper too, it was very fun and definitely one of my favourites - helped that I had a great tutor, but the whole period is fascinating. You've got the New World being discovered, the Reformation, the Renaissance, the Military Revolution, rebellion and witch trials all at once! My other choices were Brit II (1042-1330) to get the mandatory medieval paper out of the way, I didn't like it very much; Approaches, because I've done Sociology and Anthropology before, and found the whole combination aspect very interesting; and Witchcraft and Witch-Hunting in Early Modern Europe, which was the best by far. I like early modern stuff too, sounds like you're going down a good route Apart from the French stuff, which always befuddled me, but each to their own. Glad you're having fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incarnadine91)
    It's just that you're old and posh and we're the poor cousin next door. I'm not sure that most Magdalenites even know the rivary exists to be honest! It's not serious, although the gate across the bridge between our two grounds is locked because there was apparantly a spate of vandalism - "Catz Rules" being painted on your walls and the like, which is just stupid. The deer incident is probably legend but that's definitely true, we were warned about it. Most of the time it's just us being smug when we beat you at things

Ah, good choice! I did that European paper too, it was very fun and definitely one of my favourites - helped that I had a great tutor, but the whole period is fascinating. You've got the New World being discovered, the Reformation, the Renaissance, the Military Revolution, rebellion and witch trials all at once! My other choices were Brit II (1042-1330) to get the mandatory medieval paper out of the way, I didn't like it very much; Approaches, because I've done Sociology and Anthropology before, and found the whole combination aspect very interesting; and Witchcraft and Witch-Hunting in Early Modern Europe, which was the best by far. I like early modern stuff too, sounds like you're going down a good route Apart from the French stuff, which always befuddled me, but each to their own. Glad you're having fun!
    I've got a friend off to Catz, so I'll make sure we start to despise each other from October.

That's exactly what I'm looking forward to about that Europe paper, the Medicis and the Dutch Republic in particular. I pray that I can cover the Dutch properly, because what they did in the Renaissance directly inspired the British in the 17th/18th Centuries!

I had no idea there was a compulsory medieval paper actually. Not really a blow, I suppose, Magdalen has a lovely medieval tutor. Dr Nightingale gave one brutal interview, though, despite seeming like a teddy bear initially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Datbreh)
    I thought results day was on the 18th?
    Unconditional offer = gap year applicant.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a friend off to Catz, so I'll make sure we start to despise each other from October.

That's exactly what I'm looking forward to about that Europe paper, the Medicis and the Dutch Republic in particular. I pray that I can cover the Dutch properly, because what they did in the Renaissance directly inspired the British in the 17th/18th Centuries!

I had no idea there was a compulsory medieval paper actually. Not really a blow, I suppose, Magdalen has a lovely medieval tutor. Dr Nightingale gave one brutal interview, though, despite seeming like a teddy bear initially.
    Good good, that's the spirit =)

It depends on what your tutor teaches you, for instance I didn't do anything about the Medicis and the Dutch Republic only really came in in the Rebellion essay, simply because my tutor chose not to cover that bit. The General paper is, well, general - you'll look at different themes over the whole continent and time period, so it's not as detailed as some of the other papers. That said, though, if there's an area you really want to cover I'm sure your tutor will let you, as long as the rest of your tutor group agree.

The way the course is set out you need to do one medieval, one early modern and one modern paper over the three years you're with us, so yes it is compulsory in a sense. You can choose from a number of papers within those time periods though! That's why most people take one from each in their first year, to get it out of the way so they have a free reign in the years it really matters. However, you can mix it up if you want - I did one medieval and two early modern last year because the e-m stuff was just too fun, so I'm doing the modern one next term to finish my compulsory bits.

You might not be taught by your college tutor (I was sent out to Hertford for my medival paper) but you can be sure that whoever you get, they're going to be good at their job My senior tutor is a Marxist Irishman and also the Dean, so he can be very very scary when he wants to be! ...But he hardly ever turns his 'Dean Voice' on us, and we got to sit at high table with him for the posh subject dinners. He's lovely, really, even if he did scare the living daylights out of me at interview. I think that's their job.

If there's anything else you want to know about the course or the uni in general, feel free to ask! (I'll pretend I know what I'm talking about...)

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, sorry to jump in on your thread... (I'm an applicant for 2012)

Just wondering when you were released from interviews? Was it by the Tuesday afternoon? (I'm guessing it basically depends if you're wanted for extra interviews?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    Hi guys, sorry to jump in on your thread... (I'm an applicant for 2012)

Just wondering when you were released from interviews? Was it by the Tuesday afternoon? (I'm guessing it basically depends if you're wanted for extra interviews?)
    If I recall correctly, CompSci people are there the same time as MathPhil (me), which was a Sunday-Wednesday. They let you know when you're free to go, which I think could potentially be the Tuesday afternoon but could be as late as Wednesday afternoon. I don't know how many interviews you'd be likely to have, but for Maths and join honours courses we all got an interview at another college automatically scheduled, and then more for most people afterwards. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Well, I was released the morning after my second interview, in the first list of people to go (so I was a 'definite yes' haha!). I spent three nights in Magdalen, one before the interviews began; can't remember the days of the week though.

Good good, that's the spirit =)

It depends on what your tutor teaches you, for instance I didn't do anything about the Medicis and the Dutch Republic only really came in in the Rebellion essay, simply because my tutor chose not to cover that bit. The General paper is, well, general - you'll look at different themes over the whole continent and time period, so it's not as detailed as some of the other papers. That said, though, if there's an area you really want to cover I'm sure your tutor will let you, as long as the rest of your tutor group agree.

The way the course is set out you need to do one medieval, one early modern and one modern paper over the three years you're with us, so yes it is compulsory in a sense. You can choose from a number of papers within those time periods though! That's why most people take one from each in their first year, to get it out of the way so they have a free reign in the years it really matters. However, you can mix it up if you want - I did one medieval and two early modern last year because the e-m stuff was just too fun, so I'm doing the modern one next term to finish my compulsory bits.

You might not be taught by your college tutor (I was sent out to Hertford for my medival paper) but you can be sure that whoever you get, they're going to be good at their job My senior tutor is a Marxist Irishman and also the Dean, so he can be very very scary when he wants to be! ...But he hardly ever turns his 'Dean Voice' on us, and we got to sit at high table with him for the posh subject dinners. He's lovely, really, even if he did scare the living daylights out of me at interview. I think that's their job.

If there's anything else you want to know about the course or the uni in general, feel free to ask! (I'll pretend I know what I'm talking about...)
    Thank you for the help! I'll be sure to throw any questions about the course your way on TSR in the future. Oh, are you part of the Union? Do you know what the debates are lie there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    If I recall correctly, CompSci people are there the same time as MathPhil (me), which was a Sunday-Wednesday. They let you know when you're free to go, which I think could potentially be the Tuesday afternoon but could be as late as Wednesday afternoon. I don't know how many interviews you'd be likely to have, but for Maths and join honours courses we all got an interview at another college automatically scheduled, and then more for most people afterwards. Hope that helps.
    Thank you. So basically it's a bit risky telling other people you'll be home for the Tuesday evening! (Oxford's only an hour and twenty minutes on the train for me)

Interesting you're doing MathPhil, I'm considering the new CompPhil. What made you choose the joint course? (And what was the Phil interview like?)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. So basically it's a bit risky telling other people you'll be home for the Tuesday evening! (Oxford's only an hour and twenty minutes on the train for me)

Interesting you're doing MathPhil, I'm considering the new CompPhil. What made you choose the joint course? (And what was the Phil interview like?)
    The interview timetable will tell you when to expect to be there until; it's possible that it's a bit earlier for CompSci.

I like maths, I like philosophy, I like the way they meet up. Hopefully doing the joint course will give a bit of balance between problem sheets and essays in terms of the workload too. The CompPhil course looks like it could be pretty interesting, if you like the idea of 'pure' computing (disclaimer: I haven't looked at the course in much detail).

As for philosophy interviews, they've involved extended logic puzzles, explaining the flaws in an example logical argument, and discussing some of the essays I sent as written work or mentioned in my PS (they don't require written work anymore though, it seems).

EDIT: On the topic of telling people you'll be back Tuesday evening; the first time I applied (Worcester, same course, rejected after interview) I went back to school for an evening to go to the prefects' Christmas Dinner (it was an excuse to wear black tie) and went back up the same night. But that was just me being weird.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the help! I'll be sure to throw any questions about the course your way on TSR in the future. Oh, are you part of the Union? Do you know what the debates are like there?
    Yes I am! I found the ones I went to very interesting and engaging, plus if there's an individual speaker you want to see those are often fun. The last one I went to, a few months ago now, was about whether it was better to make the news or report it, and if I remember rightly Rebekah Brookes was one of those on the 'make the news' side Doubt she'd agree with that now! However, not all of them are going to be good and you'll probably only go to one or two debates (and/or three or four speakers, max) a term, because of work and other committments (they're very time-consuming). If you're into that sort of thing or want to have a go at debating yourself, the Union membership is worth it - plus you get acess to the library, which has some of the more useful history books in a place few people can get at them. But if you don't think you'd go see much or you're not going to use the other facilities (library, bar, free entry to the club downstairs) then I can understand why most people don't want to shell out £150!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you're expected to stay until Wednesday lunchtime. It's quite common for the last few places to be decided by interviews held on the Wednesday morning.

Gavin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavinlowe)
    Yes, you're expected to stay until Wednesday lunchtime. It's quite common for the last few places to be decided by interviews held on the Wednesday morning.
    Thanks Gavin

So if I get an interview, I'll definitely miss my college's termly music concert. But rehearsals will start sometime in September when I won't know if I have an interview I guess I should probably just explain the situation to the music teacher when I start back at college.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Gavin

So if I get an interview, I'll definitely miss my college's termly music concert. But rehearsals will start sometime in September when I won't know if I have an interview I guess I should probably just explain the situation to the music teacher when I start back at college.
    Just tell them you won't be able to attend: means you don't potentially waste lots of time at rehearsal, and frees up time to enjoy yourself on the last evening in Oxford.

Unless you're really desperate to go to this concert, and it's late enough in the evening that you can dash back to it and go back up if you need to (the OxfordTube runs 24 hours). But that's a bit crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am! I found the ones I went to very interesting and engaging, plus if there's an individual speaker you want to see those are often fun. The last one I went to, a few months ago now, was about whether it was better to make the news or report it, and if I remember rightly Rebekah Brookes was one of those on the 'make the news' side Doubt she'd agree with that now! However, not all of them are going to be good and you'll probably only go to one or two debates (and/or three or four speakers, max) a term, because of work and other committments (they're very time-consuming). If you're into that sort of thing or want to have a go at debating yourself, the Union membership is worth it - plus you get acess to the library, which has some of the more useful history books in a place few people can get at them. But if you don't think you'd go see much or you're not going to use the other facilities (library, bar, free entry to the club downstairs) then I can understand why most people don't want to shell out £150!
    I am closely considering joining it, really. The debating looks great fun, and it's something I've been looking forward to about Oxford for over a year. Though the idea of being a student politician is stomach-turning, but I do enjoy angering people who disagree with me.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Seems about time I took a break from *panicking* about results day (10 days!!) to ask a silly question...
    I've just started my reading list for History; I've purchased two books and have found another two in my local library. I'm just wondering though, will I need to buy all the books eventually anyway? Are the books on my summer reading list going to be required throughout the year? I'm trying to spend as little as possible Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I am closely considering joining it, really. The debating looks great fun, and it's something I've been looking forward to about Oxford for over a year. Though the idea of being a student politician is stomach-turning, but I do enjoy angering people who disagree with me.
    Oh you don't need to get involved with the politics thing to watch/take part in debates! I never have, like you it nevr appealed to me. The polticians obviously do take part, and often, but they are separate.

(Original post by laura_bird88)
    Hey guys,
    Seems about time I took a break from *panicking* about results day (10 days!!) to ask a silly question...
    I've just started my reading list for History; I've purchased two books and have found another two in my local library. I'm just wondering though, will I need to buy all the books eventually anyway? Are the books on my summer reading list going to be required throughout the year? I'm trying to spend as little as possible Thanks
    Yay another historian! Good choice of subject No, they won't be - I think of the five books I bought from my summer reading list I only used two in any great detail, and only then for revision. In fact, I don't think my tutor in Hilary ever set any of the reading list books for essays at all! It's a good idea to have a book (or books) on hand that give you the basic facts about a given period for when you're at home, but Oxford's library system is good enough that when you're at uni you can depend on it without much trouble. So yes, get one or two for each module (you'll get new lists each holiday) but no more than that. I wouldn't fuss too much about reading them before you get there, either - you won't know what you need until you're set an essay, and then you pick things up as you go along.

As I said to deFossard, I'm happy to answer any history-related questions you might have! What papers are you doing this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura_bird88)
    Hey guys,
    I read somewhere on TSR that we will hardly need to buy any when we're there, because the Bod will have 'em. This is sometimes cited as one of the reasons why Oxford is a lot cheaper for students than people think.

btw I've also found that Google Books has previews of quite a few of the books on my list; sometimes whole chapters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Did anyone else get a letter from Oxford saying they're going to receive the Eliahou Dangoor Scholarship?
    I did! Have you replied to the email they gave us, and if you did.. have they replied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendan.)
    I did! Have you replied to the email they gave us, and if you did.. have they replied?
    Sorry to butt in, but I've replied to the email and sent off the paperwork and haven't heard anything. I'm assuming it's normal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.