Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Arsenal fans, Southampton fan (name is a giveaway..) wanting to know what you guys all think about the (seemingly) imminent arrival of our Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain? Spoken to a few Arsenal fan friends, who say they'd rather see £10m spent on other areas of the squad, not on someone who has made less than 20 starts in the third tier of football. However others see it as picking up one of the country's best prospects and are excited to see how it pans out.
    How about you?

ReputationRep:
    That would roughly be my view. As someone who's probably seen more of him than the rest of us combined how good is he?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Manchester United. It's a minor trophy, it doesn't leave me smiling for weeks. :no: Banging on about tradition makes you seem like a prick, btw.

Edit: Not saying it's a useless trophy to win, it will give you some confidence perhaps. That's it. But once all the other 'big' teams had ****ed up, it was pretty clear who was going to win it.
    Yet United fans never pride themselves on their tradition.

I know it's a ****ty trophy, but should we win it, it's at least something.

ReputationRep:
    RE: Oxlade-Chamberlain, I haven't seen enough of the lad, but £10million is extortionate for a player in League One, no matter how good they are.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, even with the english player premium it is a bit ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voodoomagic)
    That would roughly be my view. As someone who's probably seen more of him than the rest of us combined how good is he?
    It's not a view all Saints fans share, but I personally don't think he's as good as Walcott was for us. He's not as fast, a bit stronger and with a better cross, but he just doesn't have the cutting edge Walcott did.

I've always said if we lost him, we can replace the player without too much hassle. What we can't replace is the potential.

And I'm sure he will be able to reach his potential at Arsenal, some fans think lack of first team football will stunt his development - personally I think with the coaching set up you have there it can't be bad for him at all, and training with the likes of Fabregas every day can do no harm at all.

(Original post by marcusmerehay)
    RE: Oxlade-Chamberlain, I haven't seen enough of the lad, but £10million is extortionate for a player in League One, no matter how good they are.
    Especially for someone not old enough to buy a pint, who has only been starting regularly for three or four months!

ReputationRep:
    Wilshere isn't even worth £10million at the moment.

To the club he's priceless, but in raw transfer value he'd be 8 or 9 tops.

I mean Nasri cost us £10million. Come on. It's no wonder Arsene brings in the French guys.

ReputationRep:
    You say that, but if Darren Bent goes for £24m, Wilshere is probably worth a fair bit (factoring in potential as well).

ReputationRep:
    Wilshere is definitely worth more than £10mil, ffs.

ReputationRep:
    Bent was worth about £24m. Even £30m wouldn't have been too much for him.

Wilshere is worth about £20m, imo, but with add ons and stuff he could be worth £30m if one of the giants wanted him.

If this Chamberlain guy is as good as people hype him up to be then £10m will be a bargain in 10 or so years.

ReputationRep:
    Nasri was closer to £13m than £10m, btw.

ReputationRep:
    My point still stands, Kev.

ReputationRep:
    Right now, Wilshire isn't £10m. £7/8m at the most.

ReputationRep:
    If Wilshere is worth under 10m then Chamberlain must be worth 5m or less. I think a lot of clubs would be really to pay 15m+ for Wilshere though, tbh.

Personally I would rather put that 10m towards buying a top class, proven player. Our pockets are deep enough to dish out 20-30m, why not use it rather than spend it in small chunks on unproven youth players?

ReputationRep:
    Right now, you don't just pay for the quality of player you're getting now, you're also paying for the quality of player you're expecting to have a few years down the line. Wilshere would fetch a lot of money, but Arsenal wouldn't think about selling him. He'll be one of the world's best very quickly. He is in a very similar position to what Cesc was in -- not when Cesc started out, but only a few seasons ago -- he needs to make more of those driving runs from deep that he was making yesterday, and he needs to find the net more even if he is playing a more defensive role at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Overmars. I don't think it's a case of comparing two players and saying "Oh, so and so is worth that, so he must be worth this!" There are a lot of factors such as what he's worth to the club he's currently at, how much you need him, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Šime Vrsaljko near to signing for Arsenal

ReputationRep:
    Sounds likely, 19 with a last name no-one will be able to spell.

I've heard of him before. He's supposed to be a huge prospect, and both Chelsea and Juventus were reported to be interested...

It's good if it's true though - anywhere across the defence sounds very useful, and I've always believed we need another right-back.

ReputationRep:
      caughtoffside.com is a piece of ****. 95% of the articles are lies.
      Makes goal.com look like nothing

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.