Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Problem 358*

Find all positive integers n such that the product of all positive divisors of n is 24^{240}.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    Problem 385*

Find all positive integers n such that the product of all positive divisors of n is 24^{240}.
    I am using Dalek's method of periphrastic divergences and Euler-taradiddles to say that;

We have 24^{240}

If we take the base,  24 and multiply it by  2 we have  48 .

Now do the power divided by the base multiplied by two:

\frac{240}{48} = 5

5 is now our new exponent after considering the periphrastic divergence.

Therefore, the new exponent is the value computed above by the Euler-taraddidle method:

n = 24^5 .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakee)
    I am using Dalek's method of periphrastic divergences and Euler-taradiddles to say that;

We have 24^{240}

If we take the base,  24 and multiply it by  2 we have  48 .

Now do the power divided by the base multiplied by two:

\frac{240}{48} = 5

5 is now our new exponent after considering the periphrastic divergence.

Therefore, the new exponent is the value computed above by the Euler-taraddidle method:

n = 24^5 .
    :rofl2:

You've forgotten the lateral solutions though! :shock:

24^5 = 2\cdot4^5 = 244444.

Simples.

ReputationRep:
    Problem 385*

Solution 385*

The product \pi(n) of all positive divisors of n is \displaystyle n^{\frac{\sigma (n)}{2}}, where \sigma (n) is the divisor function.

Thus, if n satisfies this condition, then 24^{240} = 2^{720} \cdot 3^{240} must be a power of n.
    Thus, n = 2^{a} \cdot 3^{b}, where ak = 720 and bk = 240, for some integer k.
    Thus, a = 3b, n = 24^b and b|240 = 2^4 \cdot 3 \cdot 5 .
    So b \in \{ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20, 24, 40, 48, 60, 80, 120, 240 \}
    Thus, n \in \{ 24, 24^2, 24^3, 24^4, 24^5, 24^6, 24^8, 24^{40}, 24^{48}, 24^{60}, 24^{80}, 24^{120}, 24^{240} \} =: A
    By the multiplicativity of \sigma, since 24^n = 2^{3n} \cdot 3^n, and if m=p^k for some prime p, then \sigma(m) = k + 1, we have that \sigma(24^n) = (3n+1)(n+1).

If we let f(n) = \pi(24^n) = 24^{\frac{n}{2}(3n+1)(n+1)}, then f is strictly increasing on the naturals, and thus f(n) = 24^{240} has at most one solution. n = 5 is that solution.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl2:

You've forgotten the lateral solutions though! :shock:

24^5 = 2\cdot4^5 = 244444.

Simples.

Oh, I'm truly sorry. I haven't been doing much Mathematics recently, especially Dalekian Mathematics. I'll learn more some day.

ReputationRep:
    Solution 355

Let Q_m \subseteq S be such that |Q_m|=m, the claim is that if m>n then Q_m does not have property P. Let A_k=S\cap \{2^q(2k-1):\;q\in\mathbb{N}_0\} for 1\leq k\leq n (so \bigcup A_k = S), then by the pigeonhole principle there exist p,q\in Q_{m} such that \{p,q\}\in A_k for some k. And of course, Q_n=\{n,n+1,\cdots 2n-1\} has property P

Solution 356

Have I completely and utterly missed something here? If for any i,j we have |A_i|\equiv |A_i\cap A_j|\equiv 0\pod{2} we may group the population into pairs and call the set of these T. Then obviously the number of clubs \leq \mathcal{P}(T)=2^n. Equality is only possible if we allow A_i=\varnothing for some i.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Solution 355

Let Q_m \subseteq S be such that |Q_m|=m, the claim is that if m>n then Q_m does not have property P. Let A_k=S\cap \{2^q(2k-1):\;q\in\mathbb{N}_0\} for 1\leq k\leq n (so \bigcup A_k = S), then by the pigeonhole principle there exist p,q\in Q_{m} such that \{p,q\}\in A_k for some k. And of course, Q_n=\{n,n+1,\cdots 2n-1\} has property P

Solution 356

Have I completely and utterly missed something here? If for any i,j we have |A_i|\equiv |A_i\cap A_j|\equiv 0\pod{2} we may group the population into pairs and call the set of these T. Then obviously the number of clubs \leq \mathcal{P}(T)=2^n. Equality is only possible if we allow A_i=\varnothing for some i.
    It's fine.

Problem 359**

In a town there are n people and m clubs - A_{1},\cdots, A_{m}. If |A_{i}| is odd for all i and |A_{i} \cap A_{j}| is even for all i,j \in \{1,\cdots,m\}, then m \le n. Is the bound attainable?

Problem 360**

Let A_{i} \subseteq \{1,\cdots,n \}, i \in \{1,\cdots,m \} be such that for i \not= j the inequality |A_{i} \cap A_{j}| \le 1 holds. Show that \displaystyle m \le n+1+ \dbinom{n}{2}.

Problem 361**

Let a,A,B be integers, M - a positive integer. Prove that the numbers Aa^{m}+Bm \pmod M form a complete residue system \pmod M if and only if \gcd(B,M)=1.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone ever get an answer to that horrible integral a while back? I don't recall seeing one.

ReputationRep:
    Problem 362*

This is actually very similar to an A level question but without the added guidance that they usually provide.

A sports association is planning to construct a running track in the shape of a rectangle surmounted by a semicircle. Let the letter x represents the length of the rectangular section and r represents the radius of the semicircle.
    Determine the length, x, that maximises the area enclosed by the track.

EDIT

The perimeter of the track must be 600 metres.

I completely forgot to put that in. Sorry

Problem 363*

Given that the sum of the angles A, B and C of a triangle is \pi radians, show that \sin(A) = \sin(B+C)

Problem 364***

Determine the extreme values of

f(x,y,z,u,v,w) = \frac{1}{1+x+u} + \frac{1}{1+y+v} + \frac{1}{1+z+w}

where xyz = a^3, uvw = b^3, and x,y,z,u,v,w>0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arieisit)
    Problem 363*

Given that the sum of the angles A, B and C of a triangle is \pi radians, show that \sin(A) = \sin(B+C)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Triangle, so c+B=180-A, for any x, \sin(x)=\sin(180-x)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The nameless one)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Triangle, so c+B=180-A, for any x, \sin(x)=\sin(180-x)
    Is that all? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is that all? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well, almost
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I am known for being lazy, and that is why i just skipped the previous question, cannot be bothered to read it

ReputationRep:

Problem 364***

Spoiler:
    Show
    Is Lagrange the way to go here or am I barking up the wrong tree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Did anyone ever get an answer to that horrible integral a while back? I don't recall seeing one.
    Do you mean the cos(tan(x))/x one? (or something like that)

If so, no solution was posted. I feel I made a tiny bit of progress though hit a wall pretty quickly. I can post my "progress" if you want to try and get the ball rolling again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Is Lagrange the way to go here or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    You may be on to something.

I don't like giving hints if I didn't see any progress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    Problem 362*

This is actually very similar to an A level question but without the added guidance that they usually provide.

A sports association is planning to construct a running track in the shape of a rectangle surmounted by a semicircle. Let the letter x represents the length of the rectangular section and r represents the radius of the semicircle.
    Determine the length, x, that maximises the area enclosed by the track.

I must have misunderstood the question.

The area enclosed is A = 2rx+\pi r^2 this is maximised with respect to x when you differentiate with respect to x and equate it to 0.
    0 = 2r As this only gives a value of the minimum, this implies the maximum will increase as x increases.

Problem 363*

This is very simple I think.
    \sin(A) = Im(e^{iA}) eq 1
    \sin(B+C) = Im(e^{i(B+C)}) eq 2
    A+B+C=\pi
    so:
    A=\pi - B - C eq 3
    sub eq 3 into eq 1:
    \sin(A) = Im(e^{i(\pi -B - C)})
    Therefore:
    \sin(A) = Im(e^{i\pi}e^{-i(B + C)})
    e^{i\pi} = -1
    So:
    \sin(A) = Im(-e^{-i(B + C)})
    Sin is odd so:
    \sin(A) = Im(e^{i(B + C)})
    We have written this equivalently to eq 2.
    Thus:
    \sin(A) = \sin(B+C)

Problem 364***

I liked that middle question can't be bothered with the last one.

ReputationRep:
    I've been generalising random expressions and thought you lot might like this one.

Problem 365
    **/***

Find a closed form expression for \displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^a}{(b+x^c)^d} \ dx in terms of elementary functions where d \in \mathbb{Z}.

Be sure to consider the different cases that arise according to the values of a, b and c.

ReputationRep:
    Problem 363*

Solution 363

A + B + C = \pi

\Rightarrow B + C = \pi - A

\begin{aligned} \Rightarrow \sin (B+C) & = \sin (\pi - A) \\ & = \sin \pi \cos A - \sin A \cos \pi \\ & = - \sin (A) \times (-1) \\ & = \sin (A) \end{aligned}

My first solution of the thread! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Do you mean the cos(tan(x))/x one? (or something like that)

If so, no solution was posted. I feel I made a tiny bit of progress though hit a wall pretty quickly. I can post my "progress" if you want to try and get the ball rolling again?
    That's the one I meant, I'm curious what the solution is because I could not find any way to make simpler. I managed to convert it to several different integrals but they didn't look any nicer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    I liked that middle question can't be bothered with the last one.
    I absolutely love your solution for question 363! When I did it, it was in no way similar to your version. Nice perspective! :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.