Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[Results day] Discussion thread MKIII - 15 August 2013 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can you get into medicine with BBBC at AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsrking)
    Can you get into medicine with BBBC at AS
    Hi there, by no means an expert and I would recommend repeating the question on a more relevant forum.

However in my experience no, it would be very difficult to gain any offers with those grades unless their were extenuating circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Bampton)
    Hi there, by no means an expert and I would recommend repeating the question on a more relevant forum.

However in my experience no, it would be very difficult to gain any offers with those grades unless their were extenuating circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is your experience and even if i were predicted AAA????

ReputationRep:
    The thing with medicine is that everyone is predicted >AAA. I know multiple people who've been rejected from all four with AAAA at AS level.
    However, if your personal statement is phenomenal, your work experience beyond belief, and your enthusiasm at interview insane. Then yeah, you could get offers.
    I take it you've done chemistry, biology and something like physics or maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lifeisgood:))
    Haha, it's fun isn't it? And yeah, I think that's something both of us will have to do... Go over chemistry, and for me maths as well! :L Which bits are you feeling a bit hazy on? I think it's the organic stuff in chem for me and some of the electrochemical cell stuff as well... I think I will pick either molecules in action or a maths module... I don't know yet, but am leaning towards molecules in action because it sounds really interesting and we get to do quite a bit of maths in Core Chem B anyway... Which option module were you thinking of doing, aside from German obvs? )

I'm quite looking forward to doing German for scientists actually, I was worried it would have like loads of literature in it but it sounds a bit like doing more challenging GCSE writing assignments, if you know what I mean? It'll be fun to do German again!! That's something I should go over a bit again as well lol!

Ooooo, I know!! It's going to be such a special, once-in-a-lifetime event isn't it? I always imagine it being really formal and hallowed if you get what I mean... Kind of like the Sorting in Harry Potter to keep in theme with what you were saying! Yeah no Collingwood don't wear gowns... Just smart clothes! It'll be fun to see so many colleges in their gowns on the day though!

Ohhh thank you so much!!! I am very happy with them, and am just glad that A levels ended the way they did! ) I'm glad C4 went better for you than you thought it did as well! It's the best when that happens! D
    It is indeed Hmm well I think need to firstly just read a bit and get my head back into chemistry mode! But now you mention it, electrochemical cells and redox stuff is probably one of my weaker areas... Deffo need to look over a bit of organic as well! Ah no I'd forgotten about maths I've probably already forgotten everything! But I bet it will all come back once I look over it a bit...

I'll probably either pick molecules in action or a biology module, maybe the cell biology one? But maths is tempting me as well! Good point about the maths in Core Chem B though, just had a look and there is quite a bit! Ah yes I'm looking forward to German! How did you find the module? I've had a look but I can't figure out which one I would be doing Sounds good though, I've been a bit worried about there being loads of lit as well, for some reason we never did any at my school and I'm not sure I'd like it

Yes, I totally get what you mean... This had better live up to our expectations!!

Yay, me too! Haha yes, I think I was saved by low grade boundaries!

ReputationRep:
    Late reply but i was away after results but i got ABCC ! off to Uni to study BSc Psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikz94)
    Late reply but i was away after results but i got ABCC ! off to Uni to study BSc Psychology
    Psychology is good....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry just seen this. I don't believe you will get any offers with those grades in this application cycle.

A friend of mine got AABB (a B was in Chemistry which was a blow) despite interviews she didn't get an offer. However she worked really hard to get her AAA and expect her to get offers as a post A-level student.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllyR)
    It is indeed Hmm well I think need to firstly just read a bit and get my head back into chemistry mode! But now you mention it, electrochemical cells and redox stuff is probably one of my weaker areas... Deffo need to look over a bit of organic as well! Ah no I'd forgotten about maths I've probably already forgotten everything! But I bet it will all come back once I look over it a bit...

I'll probably either pick molecules in action or a biology module, maybe the cell biology one? But maths is tempting me as well! Good point about the maths in Core Chem B though, just had a look and there is quite a bit! Ah yes I'm looking forward to German! How did you find the module? I've had a look but I can't figure out which one I would be doing Sounds good though, I've been a bit worried about there being loads of lit as well, for some reason we never did any at my school and I'm not sure I'd like it

Yes, I totally get what you mean... This had better live up to our expectations!!

Yay, me too! Haha yes, I think I was saved by low grade boundaries!
    Yeah me too... Did you get that reading list from Durham on DUO? That seems pretty useful, I think I will follow that! A lot of it is chemguide! I know, I haven't done any chemistry (or science) in forever, which I think was a necessary break but still, it's a big change in gear for our brains getting back into isn't it? If that makes sense! :L Yeah, I think everything needs going over here... The thermodynamics stuff is a bit fuzzy in my head as well! We'll be fine tho... Just need to refresh!!

Eeee, I know decisions decisions!! Do you know if we have to decide now? We've been given module registration things right? But I thought we have to talk about module choices at some point during Freshers week? So confused lol!! I know the maths in Core 1B is like A2 further maths level maths I think, which I did not expect! I am happy about it tho... It means our A levels in maths don't get wasted lol! Ohh and you can find the modules in the module handbook... Just press the button that says 'List Level 1 modules' and you can see which modules are available ) I reckon because you've done A level German you could do either one... The German for scientists would probs be a walk in the park for you haha but I don't know if it would be more useful?? I'd ask someone at the uni I think Yeah I didn't want to do lit because I think it is pretty time consuming and can become annoying when you want to focus on chem...

I'm sure it will... It might even exceed them!

I think the exams I did best in had low grade boundaries... Then again to get an A* that means we did a lot better than average, so you still did really well

ReputationRep:
    Now that your results are over and done with, it's time to start thinking about university. Not long now until you begin! Check out my blog.

http://tahneatnewman.wordpress.com/2013/08/28/starting-university/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AserO.)
    Can anyone know the marks in a levels Cambridge ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you mean the CIE board? If I'm not mistaken, they don't release UMS. Your teachers may get a more detailed breakdown, although its not released as a rule and I don't think Cambridge get them either.

ReputationRep:
    To think that we were getting our results exactly two weeks ago... Crazy!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I got into my firm (Kent) for Accounting and Finance and ultimately ended up attaining AABac in the end with A's in both English Lit and Psychology respectively. I know this is a bit late but I haven't been on TSR on ages and was probably one of the first to post on this type of thread last year.

Also, I have a little question, just a tiny issue not major. For mr English Lit ALevel, I got 78/80 UMS for one of the modules (LITB4). On the AQA UMS Boundaries website, it clearly states that it is 72/80 for an 'a*' in thar module but on my exam sheet it is written as an 'a'. Does anybody know why they have done this? Would this just be a print error? Again, I know it's not much of a big deal as my overall grade is still correct but I'm just curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Nalbandian14)
    Yes, I got into my firm (Kent) for Accounting and Finance and ultimately ended up attaining AABac in the end with A's in both English Lit and Psychology respectively. I know this is a bit late but I haven't been on TSR on ages and was probably one of the first to post on this type of thread last year.

Also, I have a little question, just a tiny issue not major. For mr English Lit ALevel, I got 78/80 UMS for one of the modules (LITB4). On the AQA UMS Boundaries website, it clearly states that it is 72/80 for an 'a*' in thar module but on my exam sheet it is written as an 'a'. Does anybody know why they have done this? Would this just be a print error? Again, I know it's not much of a big deal as my overall grade is still correct but I'm just curious.
    That technically is an A*, but because you can't get an A* overall without getting a 90% average (assuming it's the same as other subjects) the exam boards never write "a*" for the individual modules, just in the overall grade if you get that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lifeisgood:))
    Yeah me too... Did you get that reading list from Durham on DUO? That seems pretty useful, I think I will follow that! A lot of it is chemguide! I know, I haven't done any chemistry (or science) in forever, which I think was a necessary break but still, it's a big change in gear for our brains getting back into isn't it? If that makes sense! :L Yeah, I think everything needs going over here... The thermodynamics stuff is a bit fuzzy in my head as well! We'll be fine tho... Just need to refresh!!

Eeee, I know decisions decisions!! Do you know if we have to decide now? We've been given module registration things right? But I thought we have to talk about module choices at some point during Freshers week? So confused lol!! I know the maths in Core 1B is like A2 further maths level maths I think, which I did not expect! I am happy about it tho... It means our A levels in maths don't get wasted lol! Ohh and you can find the modules in the module handbook... Just press the button that says 'List Level 1 modules' and you can see which modules are available ) I reckon because you've done A level German you could do either one... The German for scientists would probs be a walk in the park for you haha but I don't know if it would be more useful?? I'd ask someone at the uni I think Yeah I didn't want to do lit because I think it is pretty time consuming and can become annoying when you want to focus on chem...

I'm sure it will... It might even exceed them!

I think the exams I did best in had low grade boundaries... Then again to get an A* that means we did a lot better than average, so you still did really well
    Do you mean the one in the pre-uni work section? Yeah I've been going through that and it seems to cover loads so that's made things a lot easier! Haha I know! It's come up with loads of stuff I've never done before though, and it seems quite good at explaining it all :P Yes I get what you mean!! Luckily I think my chemistry brain is waking up now I've started reading everything through!

I think we have to register our modules on-line before we go... but it seems like we have to register again and can change them when we get there. Yeah it definitely goes beyond maths A level from the looks of things! Ah thanks! I think I'd found that already, I was just confusing myself! From reading the chemistry handbook I think I'm going to have to do the german module done in the actual language degree The other ones all say that you can't do them if you have a higher qualification than the one they're asking for... so that's a bit scary! I'm also kind of worried because there was a note in the handbook saying that the german department usually prefer you to do two modules desperately hoping they wont make me do a module on german history and culture instead of chem D:

So have you made your mind up for your second option yet?! I ended up just going for it and putting molecules in action down :P

Ah i hope it does!! Hurray for low grade boundries!! Although I suppose you're right there

ReputationRep:
    which one is better to do at as level,physics or geography??? my other subjects are bio,chem and maths and I am hoping to do medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by don9999)
    which one is better to do at as level,physics or geography??? my other subjects are bio,chem and maths and I am hoping to do medicine?
    Whichever one you'd prefer. Maths (esp. mechanics) can compliment physics very well, but I found some of the AS course a little dry. Physics looks harder and better (subjective) so if you're willing to work for it, I'd go for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adi19956)
    Whichever one you'd prefer. Maths (esp. mechanics) can compliment physics very well, but I found some of the AS course a little dry. Physics looks harder and better (subjective) so if you're willing to work for it, I'd go for that
    yeh iv decided to stick with it and pardon me for asking but what do you mean by dry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by don9999)
    yeh iv decided to stick with it and pardon me for asking but what do you mean by dry?
    Oxford English Dictionary defines it in this sense as unemotional, undemonstrative, or impassive, they're probably better than me at defining things!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=zaraasker;44015011]
    (Original post by AKate)

Thanks lot-this has given me hope that can do chemist and end up with an A-I guess the only problem is predicted grades-unlikely I'll be predicted an A when I only got a C at AS. And considering I really want to go to Oxford-that matters a lot
    I was wondering (if you don't mind me asking) What were you predicted and what did you apply for at what unis?
    Thanks
    I'm really sorry for only just seeing this now, but if it helps I was predicted an A in chem, not quite sure about the others but I know I was predicted A*AA at least overall - this took asking teachers but because they knew I was hard-working they weren't too reluctant. I asked for this because I wanted to apply to Oxford for Biochem, although I was rejected But I was accepted to 4 other Russell Group unis.
    However, I've actually decided to decline all of my offers, because my A2s ended up being better than my AS grades. If Oxford is really this important to you, have a go this year - all they can say is no - and if you don't get in just work really really hard to get those grades (which I'm sure you can do!) and take a gap year and reapply. I'm only starting my gap year now but I feel like having the time to think about my choices has meant I'm making a better decision with uni. It also means I can save up and afford food when I do go and do all sorts of awesome things for a year.
    So good luck this year, but if it doesn't work out, a gap year might be a good option for you, presuming you get the grades

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.