The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
You can make changes if you call up UCAS. In addition, you can change your course/uni choices up until about 7 days after you've submitted it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

could I change my personal statement after I send the application off?
Original post by LoveToArgue
could I change my personal statement after I send the application off?

As far as I am aware, that is a 'no', I'm afraid. You'd have to retract and cancel your whole application and restart from scratch.
x
Original post by Ivoryfall
As far as I am aware, that is a 'no', I'm afraid. You'd have to retract and cancel your whole application and restart from scratch.
x

ah ok, I think my PS is 99% finished anyway, it would be the uni/course choices I think I would change last minute!
My application was sent to universities today, I'm freaking terrified... I'm scared I'll remember something I should have put in my personal statement, even though I did 15 drafts and checked the silly thing about 50 times.

Good luck to everyone else!
I know it's a bit silly, but I'm scared to send my application off in case I suddenly remember I've done something wrong, or want to make any changes! I guess I'll have to get over this fear soon and just press send!

Everybody feels like that! You've just got to have faith that you haven't made a mistake (which you probably haven't since you will have reread it many, many times and probably shown it to multiple people) and once it's sent off, don't reread it until you have to for your interview.
ah ok, I think my PS is 99% finished anyway, it would be the uni/course choices I think I would change last minute!

As has already been mentioned above, you can change your courses and even uni choices up to 7 days after your application is submitted :smile: It is only your PS and the financial info you submit hat cannot be changed, but your address and contact info and university options are all changeable for differing periods; 7 days for university choices, and no limit on address/contact info changes (as long as that hasn't changed since last year!)
:smile:
x
Original post by connieiscrazy
My application was sent to universities today, I'm freaking terrified... I'm scared I'll remember something I should have put in my personal statement, even though I did 15 drafts and checked the silly thing about 50 times.

To everyone who is submitting their applications recently and in the near future; it is TOTALLY normal to be all butterflies and to fret over it, but the best thing for you to do is to just know everyone is feeling the same and it's entirely likely that your PS is perfect and you are just over-worrying! :smile: Try your best to chill and just let the time pass until you get news from the Uni.

Good luck to everyone applying, I genuinely believe you are all amazing! :smile:
x
Original post by connieiscrazy

Don't over-think it. Many applicants leave out valid achievements/experiences/skills on their personal statement as to comply with the low character maximum and have no problems. Chances are that if something didn't come to mind whilst writing the statement, it won't make or break your application.

Take a deep breath and relax. You can't change things now. Good luck! I hope you get some positive news in the near future
Many thanks to everyone who visited our Open Day today! The weather was very kind - indeed the sun came out for most of the day. We hope all those attending enjoyed their experience and had a good journey home.

If any further queries come to mind, feel free to PM us or post your questions on this forum.

Our student Open Day hosts are putting their feet up after a well-earned supper and wish you all the best of luck whichever College or University you finally decide to apply for.

Have a good weekend!
When selecting an essay to send in for history, what are the most important aspects that tutors are looking for?
Long story short. I am a polyglot and I prepared myself on my own for Polish, Spanish and German A-levels. I got A* (100% in both parts) AB respectively. The only thing is... I need AAA to reapply for my dream course at Oxford. My B in German is a total mistake, as I am often mistaken for a native speaker and I am even a published author in Germany (as a result of a competition for a children story tale in German). I also got highly commended in Oxford German Olympiad
Last year in my AS I got A (German) C (maths, improved hugely this year) E (chemistry, I didn't continue) and I got rejected post interview (spanish, italian) due to others being more proficient in english according to one tutor (no, it is not my first language and I cannot see how being a native of english indicates aptitude for language acquisition). The spanish tutor liked me very much apparently, as he deemed me to shine much more brighter during his interview.
Ironically, later this year, I won a poem interpretation competition (in english) led by Dame Carol Ann Duffy and got highly commended in the other tongue creative writing category (I wrote a sonnet in german, spanish, italian and french).
Anyway, the very fact that they invited my for an interview regardless of my terrible and certainly nowhere near oxford standard AS grades gives me hope that they might overlook that B, but this is such an easy excuse for a potential rejection.
What do you think? Should I reapply or should I focus more on my other options (My plan for the gap year is a year long course for Diploma in Hispanic Studies at Uni of Salamanca and then maybe to stay there)?
Original post by amoicavalli
Long story short. I am a polyglot and I prepared myself on my own for Polish, Spanish and German A-levels. I got A* (100% in both parts) AB respectively. The only thing is... I need AAA to reapply for my dream course at Oxford. My B in German is a total mistake, as I am often mistaken for a native speaker and I am even a published author in Germany (as a result of a competition for a children story tale in German). I also got highly commended in Oxford German Olympiad
Last year in my AS I got A (German) C (maths, improved hugely this year) E (chemistry, I didn't continue) and I got rejected post interview (spanish, italian) due to others being more proficient in english according to one tutor (no, it is not my first language and I cannot see how being a native of english indicates aptitude for language acquisition). The spanish tutor liked me very much apparently, as he deemed me to shine much more brighter during his interview.
Ironically, later this year, I won a poem interpretation competition (in english) led by Dame Carol Ann Duffy and got highly commended in the other tongue creative writing category (I wrote a sonnet in german, spanish, italian and french).
Anyway, the very fact that they invited my for an interview regardless of my terrible and certainly nowhere near oxford standard AS grades gives me hope that they might overlook that B, but this is such an easy excuse for a potential rejection.
What do you think? Should I reapply or should I focus more on my other options (My plan for the gap year is a year long course for Diploma in Hispanic Studies at Uni of Salamanca and then maybe to stay there)?

You'll never know until you try, that's why I'm going for it this year despite absolutely disastrous previous grades (there were some very serious extenuating circumstances however), because although it's cliche: yolo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying for Oriental Studies (Arabic and Islamic Studies) to Queen's College. I'm a Scottish student on a gap yah - already had my grades, reference has been done, and just finishing off my personal statement.

There only seems to be one OLAT paper available on their website for practice. I know they say it's not good to over practice, but as I'm not generally a language student before (I did English, Maths, and History - though outside this I speak fluent Russian) I feel I am disadvantaged in this part of the application; does anyone know a way to get my claws on any other papers?

Anyone else for this course?

All the best for your apps.
Reply 2313
Original post by nickparkes
1st year Oxford Med student here! In answer to your question, i'd honestly say somewhere between the two. You really need to emphasise your passion for a subject and your unchained desire to spend your career in that academic field. Saying this is insufficient however, you also need to demonstrate what you have to done to prove your passion is as fiery as you claim it to be. It's no good saying "Medicine is life, its all I ever want to do" and then not saying what you have done to actually nurture your passion. Probably sounds patronising and probably heard it a million times but its an important thing to nail in your PS.
In terms of tailoring your personal statement for oxford, I'd honestly not stress about it. In my honest opinion I really don't think that the PS forms an integral part of your success in the application process. Yes it will get read and yes it will be taken into 'some' consideration (tutors may go to it if you are a borderline candidate, post interview, I was told) but in my oxford application experience, hand on heart, it was merely used as a conversation starter in 1 question of many, in only 1 of my 4 interviews.

Good luck

Thank you! I'm honestly so nervous about applying gahhh. Fingers crossed my application goes well
Hi! I'm an international student applying for Medicine and I already know which teacher will be writing my reference (probably), but about the reference... Is it only supposed to be done by one teacher? How are they supposed to predict your A-level grades if they teach you only one subject(Chemistry)? Is it alright for them to just predict my Chemistry grade? :s-smilie:

Also I'm pretty terrified of the BMATs! Based on past year papers, I'll do really well for Section A and B(which I'm actually pretty confident about, but application is tougher for internationals), but I tend to perform worse under pressure, and I honestly have no idea how to do the essay question well despite being proficient in English (just hoping for a 3A, max 4A). And my exams are right at the same time, with one exam being literally at the same time :/

And I really don't know how to write my personal statement, especially as I'm a younger student and don't have much to say! Does anyone have any tips? I know I'm leaving it really late but school has been busy :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tehtarik
Hi! I'm an international student applying for Medicine and I already know which teacher will be writing my reference (probably), but about the reference... Is it only supposed to be done by one teacher? How are they supposed to predict your A-level grades if they teach you only one subject(Chemistry)? Is it alright for them to just predict my Chemistry grade? :s-smilie:

Also I'm pretty terrified of the BMATs! Based on past year papers, I'll do really well for Section A and B(which I'm actually pretty confident about, but application is tougher for internationals), but I tend to perform worse under pressure, and I honestly have no idea how to do the essay question well despite being proficient in English (just hoping for a 3A, max 4A). And my exams are right at the same time, with one exam being literally at the same time :/

And I really don't know how to write my personal statement, especially as I'm a younger student and don't have much to say! Does anyone have any tips? I know I'm leaving it really late but school has been busy :/

Your predicted grades will come from all of your subjects so I assume (this is what happened at my school) your teacher will ask your other teachers for their opinions and grades.

All you can do for the BMAT is practice so don't worry too much!

There isn't much anybody can tell you about your PS except the obvious - work experience, any awards, particular areas of interest, 75% academic 25% extracurricular, etc. I wouldn't recommend reading loads of personal statements online but if you want to look at structure, here are some links of some used to apply to Oxford:
https://www.studential.com/personal-statement-examples/oxford-university-personal-statements
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Oxford_Personal_Statements

Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by antigone-
Your predicted grades will come from all of your subjects so I assume (this is what happened at my school) your teacher will ask your other teachers for their opinions and grades.

All you can do for the BMAT is practice so don't worry too much!

There isn't much anybody can tell you about your PS except the obvious - work experience, any awards, particular areas of interest, 75% academic 25% extracurricular, etc. I wouldn't recommend reading loads of personal statements online but if you want to look at structure, here are some links of some used to apply to Oxford:
https://www.studential.com/personal-statement-examples/oxford-university-personal-statements
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Oxford_Personal_Statements

Best of luck! :smile:

Thank you :smile:))
I'm applying to Magdalen as well! I kind of don't have a bio teacher right now (ours left suddenly so now we have a temp?) so I'm not sure how that's gonna work out HAHAH.
Original post by tehtarik
Thank you :smile:))
I'm applying to Magdalen as well! I kind of don't have a bio teacher right now (ours left suddenly so now we have a temp?) so I'm not sure how that's gonna work out HAHAH.

Good luck! I guess somebody in your science department can do it for you, it's not too hard to predict a grade! :h:
In Oxford right now - very cold :frown: Anybody else in for the application day?
Original post by antigone-
In Oxford right now - very cold :frown: Anybody else in for the application day?

Haha I was there yesterday for the open day and the weather was lovely :biggrin:

Latest