The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2300
Got ABC for my highers (I'm in s5). I want to do politics with international relations at Aberdeen and to enter over two sittings I needed BBB. Could I still get in? Will I have to get AABB in one sitting next year?
I'm pretty sad at the moment, was not expecting a C at all.
Thanks.
Original post by Princepieman
Soooooo disappointed.. I was expecting a lot more, at least no Cs.

I got
Tech Studies - A
French - B (WTF? I got 80% in the prelim)
English - B
Physics - C
Maths - C

Well, all the good unis are out of reach. Life can be cruel sometimes, very very cruel. Could I still apply to places like Edinburgh, UCL and Bristol if I kick butt and get good Advanced Higher predictions?

Edinburgh officially say BBBB for most courses, so you'd have to email and ask them if your grades are ok. It may not be likely that you get an offer, but if you apply to a couple of 'safe' unis then there is nothing to lose in trying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got BBB for advanced higher biology, chemistry and maths, plus an A for higher human. A tad gutted I never got a single A at adv higher but I'm still happy I passed everything!
Reply 2303
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Obviously not hard enough then

Posted from TSR Mobile

Before you can judge whether I worked hard enough you might want to know I did 4 subjects this year and got A1 (AH chem) A (AH business) and A1 (Higher Economics). so don't think my B in AH maths was because i didn't work hard enough.

Jeez i thought people on TSR were meant to be supportive and helpful. Apparently not.
Original post by rajae
Before you can judge whether I worked hard enough you might want to know I did 4 subjects this year and got A1 (AH chem) A (AH business) and A1 (Higher Economics). so don't think my B in AH maths was because i didn't work hard enough.

Jeez i thought people on TSR were meant to be supportive and helpful. Apparently not.

im really sorry to butt in, but this guy has no need to explain why he "didnt work hard enough" bad grades arent just directly proportional to the amount of work you have done, other factors such as stress, family, nerves and loads more come into consideration for loads of different people during exams (someone fainted in ours yet still done the exam) so actually yes it does depend how you have studied in some way because you know the knowledge but some people dont cope with pressure and some do, thats how the world works.... people like you really should really have consideration, im pretty sure if you couldnt handle pressure, anxiety e.c.t you wouldnt be saying "didnt work hard enough".. 1 girl came out our exams in 5th year and was crying because she let pressure get to her, no need to explain yourself to trolls in TSR who sniff their noses up at the first sign of failure.
Morning all, are we still basking in the rosy afterglow?

This is the point I ask everyone how they felt the exams and the results delivery were - anything they feel we at SQA could do better? Obviously there's the new exams this year too. All (constructive) criticism or comment is welcome.

Thanks
SAM
Reply 2306
Where can we find the grade boundaries?
Original post by Ecosse_14
Ah, just saw your results! Massive congratulations! :biggrin: :party:

When did you get so old that now you're heading off to uni? :lolwut: :tongue:

Best of luck with it! :h:

Ahahaha thank you :smile:
Original post by Neuth
Oooh, nice! :h:
Are you excited? :biggrin:

Extremely! Thank you :smile:
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Extremely! Thank you :smile:

Glad to hear it :h:
I got:

Higher Music: A
Higher English: B
Higher French: B
Higher Maths: C
Higher Chemistry: C

It makes me so ****ing angry that there's no appeals! Maths was expected, but I had A's in my french and Chemistry prelims, 80% plus, and I wasn't feeling well on the french exam day.

Is there anything I can do? I spoke to my school and they practically laughed in my face. I'm so angry and gutted, because I honestly believe I done better than that in the exams.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Soooooo disappointed.. I was expecting a lot more, at least no Cs.

I got
Tech Studies - A
French - B (WTF? I got 80% in the prelim)
English - B
Physics - C
Maths - C

Well, all the good unis are out of reach. Life can be cruel sometimes, very very cruel. Could I still apply to places like Edinburgh, UCL and Bristol if I kick butt and get good Advanced Higher predictions?

I think french must have been unfairly marked, because I'm in the same situation, and the grade boundary for an A hasn't changed. Still 70%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AM1497
I got AABBB this year, bit dissapointing. Is Law at Edinburgh out of reach now for me?

Not out of reach at all. :no: The minimum requires are BBBB, so you are well within the range of consideration. :yep:

Original post by Decision11
Hi, I noticed on Heriott Watt's entry requirements for International Business with Spanish I need to have an A at Higher. I got a B in the exam. I had an A in my prelim so I was on track for an A, I didn't think I had a B. I don't know what I should do know? Should I ask my school about my banding and about a possible remark? It seems like it's unlikely I will get any luck out of it. I could do advanced higher Spanish?

Looks to me like your best bet is talking to your school about a remark! More info on this here!

Original post by Ecasx
Where can we find the grade boundaries?

Here!

Original post by MrFulton1
I got:

Higher Music: A
Higher English: B
Higher French: B
Higher Maths: C
Higher Chemistry: C

It makes me so ****ing angry that there's no appeals! Maths was expected, but I had A's in my french and Chemistry prelims, 80% plus, and I wasn't feeling well on the french exam day.

Is there anything I can do? I spoke to my school and they practically laughed in my face. I'm so angry and gutted, because I honestly believe I done better than that in the exams.

Sorry to hear about your poor experience at school. :console: The only thing that you can really do is talk to your school about consideration for a clerical check or remark. Info here!
Original post by mysqa
Morning all, are we still basking in the rosy afterglow?

This is the point I ask everyone how they felt the exams and the results delivery were - anything they feel we at SQA could do better? Obviously there's the new exams this year too. All (constructive) criticism or comment is welcome.

Thanks
SAM

i need a direct answer, I got a D grade for my higher, my college said this is a fail and does'nt count as having acheived the higher therefore i wont be able to do HNC, but sqa email told me its a pass and it is on my letter so do i have this higher or not?
Reply 2314
Simply you have passed with a very basic requirements but your graded mark doesn't meet the entry requirement for college. It would be highly unlikely that any FE/HE institution would accept a D grade for admission.
ok thankyou for reply. it seems a bit of a pointless award if it basically doesnt get u anywhere :-s
Reply 2316
Original post by debbiedear
ok thankyou for reply. it seems a bit of a pointless award if it basically doesnt get u anywhere :-s

Unfortunately you're correct in that it won't count for anything in terms of being admitted to colleges. The SQA D banding means that you have achieved all your units but scored between 45-49% in exam. Colleges will require at least 50% which will be a C grade score.

Perhaps you could consider an NC level course at college if another year of school isn't an option?
Original post by debbiedear
i need a direct answer, I got a D grade for my higher, my college said this is a fail and does'nt count as having acheived the higher therefore i wont be able to do HNC, but sqa email told me its a pass and it is on my letter so do i have this higher or not?

I have to confirm that the other answers here are correct. :frown:
ok thankyou all, i'm afraid another NC isn't an option as i won't get funded unless i pick a different route other than care, im not sure what i want to do at this point :-s is it still useful in showing future employers? can i say yes i have this higher or does it all go by the grade? :-s very confusing, i really thought i'd get higher as i got an A in the prelim :-( so disappointed with myself x
Original post by Gingerbread101
I'm not actually waiting on results, I'm getting my GCSE results on the 21st :smile:

Good luck for that! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending