The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by morale_boost
Warwick who I have an offer from- and St. Peter's- rejected this morning but kind of didn't feel right for me after the interview process, wbu?

Do you think the fact we've applied for two UCL courses is slowing their decision down at all?

Ahh nice! Nottingham who I have an offer from and Balliol! Did you feel that you performed strongly in the interview? Yeah most definitely, because after emailing the admissions office i found out that they can either give us an offer for L100 or L101 not both. And from reading threads last year, people didn't hear back from L101 until the end of January!
Original post by tomixox
Ahh nice! Nottingham who I have an offer from and Balliol! Did you feel that you performed strongly in the interview? Yeah most definitely, because after emailing the admissions office i found out that they can either give us an offer for L100 or L101 not both. And from reading threads last year, people didn't hear back from L101 until the end of January!

Notts is such a great place!

I think the interview was strange, because I went in armed with my thoughts on the Autumn statement and Mark Carney's bank rate ready to debate about my opinion, and was literally just asked to solve really abstract strange problems using graphs, (in the econ interview)- I felt I did okay but obviously not good enough on the day, the management one seemed to just be a lot of waffling about really basic stuff like innovation and encouraging invention, so idk about that really.

When I spoke to some of the other candidates it sounded like I'd done better but evidently there were better candidates than me so props to them! A great experience anyway. How did yours go?

That's such a relief to hear about UCL, L101 has always been my first choice out of all 5 I applied for and I am praying for an offer, I'll be really happy even with L100 from UCL because ultimately London is where I want to be!
Notts is such a great place!

I think the interview was strange, because I went in armed with my thoughts on the Autumn statement and Mark Carney's bank rate ready to debate about my opinion, and was literally just asked to solve really abstract strange problems using graphs, (in the econ interview)- I felt I did okay but obviously not good enough on the day, the management one seemed to just be a lot of waffling about really basic stuff like innovation and encouraging invention, so idk about that really.

When I spoke to some of the other candidates it sounded like I'd done better but evidently there were better candidates than me so props to them! A great experience anyway. How did yours go?

That's such a relief to hear about UCL, L101 has always been my first choice out of all 5 I applied for and I am praying for an offer, I'll be really happy even with L100 from UCL because ultimately London is where I want to be!

Literally I am in the EXACT same boat as you its weird!!!!! I had revised those and oil prices and other like recent economic fairs inside out but when it came to it my interview had absolutely NOTHING to do with them. For the management part, we were just waffling on about capitalism (wtf) and for the economics bit it was solving abstract problems using equations and graphs! I also felt I did alright. Like it was no way disastrous but at the same time I did not feel that I impressed! Yeah it was a good experience, no doubt!
Yes same, that L101 is my DREAM course. I would love to go to America so so much! My heart has always been set on UCL but I think when I was invited to interview @ Oxford it became more of a reality and then spending 2/3 days there made me really embrace the idea of going to Oxford if you know what I mean? I think the worse possible situation I could be in is an Oxford offer AND an L101 offer because I really would be CLUELESS as to what to pick.
SAME. I really want to be in a big city, hence my applications to London and Nottingham. I fundamentally want to be in London though - its so alive, I love it! Im not too optimistic about LSE as I don't take FM! What were your grades like? Also, does the whole expense thing in LDN not scare you a bit??
Warwick who I have an offer from- and St. Peter's- rejected this morning but kind of didn't feel right for me after the interview process, wbu?

Do you think the fact we've applied for two UCL courses is slowing their decision down at all?

You have an offer from Warwick?!:frown: how long did they take to get back to you?
Original post by tomixox
Literally I am in the EXACT same boat as you its weird!!!!! I had revised those and oil prices and other like recent economic fairs inside out but when it came to it my interview had absolutely NOTHING to do with them. For the management part, we were just waffling on about capitalism (wtf) and for the economics bit it was solving abstract problems using equations and graphs! I also felt I did alright. Like it was no way disastrous but at the same time I did not feel that I impressed! Yeah it was a good experience, no doubt!
Yes same, that L101 is my DREAM course. I would love to go to America so so much! My heart has always been set on UCL but I think when I was invited to interview @ Oxford it became more of a reality and then spending 2/3 days there made me really embrace the idea of going to Oxford if you know what I mean? I think the worse possible situation I could be in is an Oxford offer AND an L101 offer because I really would be CLUELESS as to what to pick.
SAME. I really want to be in a big city, hence my applications to London and Nottingham. I fundamentally want to be in London though - its so alive, I love it! Im not too optimistic about LSE as I don't take FM! What were your grades like? Also, does the whole expense thing in LDN not scare you a bit??

This is getting weirder and weirder because I don't take FM as well so I'm not too hopeful on LSE either hahah!
I know what you mean about the interviews, I felt like it was nowhere near like the horror stories you hear, relatively basic simple stuff but I didn't show my full potential either, but it's in the past now nothing we can change!

Literally if I got on the L101 I would be elated, the year abroad in the USA at a top uni like Columbia combined with 3 years in one of the greatest cities for learning about econ in the world is pretty much best you can get. Choosing between Ox and L101 would be so tough because on one hand my family would all say Ox cause of the history and the heritage but on the other hand it would kill me to turn down UCL year abroad- not to worry we won't have to make that choice anymore haha.

There's only 20 places for L101 right? So it's tough competition but we have to just hope for the best now, as I said L100 would also be brilliant but experiencing the US University life is something I really, really want to do!

I'm predicted 3A*s in Bio, Chem, and Maths (oddly enough I didn't choose Economics, but kind of had an 'epiphany' halfway through Year 12 that it is what I want to study) and the expenses thing does sound horrible but hopefully I'd get a part time job and the salary for London econ graduates are gonna be amazing anyway so I'll try not to think too much about loans etc. until I actually have to come to pay them off! I'm getting excited just talking about it
Original post by Anaarutyunyan
You have an offer from Warwick?!:frown: how long did they take to get back to you?

I applied in October and got the offer in December :smile:
I applied in October and got the offer in December :smile:

I am still waiting too!
Your predicted grades are a million times better than mines!I am predicted A*AB(AS levels ABBB).
This is getting weirder and weirder because I don't take FM as well so I'm not too hopeful on LSE either hahah!
I know what you mean about the interviews, I felt like it was nowhere near like the horror stories you hear, relatively basic simple stuff but I didn't show my full potential either, but it's in the past now nothing we can change!

Literally if I got on the L101 I would be elated, the year abroad in the USA at a top uni like Columbia combined with 3 years in one of the greatest cities for learning about econ in the world is pretty much best you can get. Choosing between Ox and L101 would be so tough because on one hand my family would all say Ox cause of the history and the heritage but on the other hand it would kill me to turn down UCL year abroad- not to worry we won't have to make that choice anymore haha.

There's only 20 places for L101 right? So it's tough competition but we have to just hope for the best now, as I said L100 would also be brilliant but experiencing the US University life is something I really, really want to do!

I'm predicted 3A*s in Bio, Chem, and Maths (oddly enough I didn't choose Economics, but kind of had an 'epiphany' halfway through Year 12 that it is what I want to study) and the expenses thing does sound horrible but hopefully I'd get a part time job and the salary for London econ graduates are gonna be amazing anyway so I'll try not to think too much about loans etc. until I actually have to come to pay them off! I'm getting excited just talking about it

I'm literally smiling like an idiot at everything your typing because its literally my situation hahaha! My family would be the EXACT same but thank god we don't have to make the decision anymore! Yeah its 20 or something ridiculous like that!!! We can only be hopeful!! I'm also predicted that but in Maths, Bio and Economics (dropped Chem after AS). Yeah I am really relying on getting a PT job and yeah, graduate salaries are craaaaazy!! Yeah, in all honestly, the amount of debt I get in really doesn't bother me which is not the best attitude haha! Same!!! And the nightlife in London will be crazy, which is what Im so excited about! Im just so excited to meet such a vast range of people; like not only from UCL but all over London. Plus graduating from a London university makes getting a job in London so much easier; the networking opportunities are so good!Do you know what you want to do after you graduate? Like career wise?
Original post by Skill Twix
I am still waiting too!
Your predicted grades are a million times better than mines!I am predicted A*AB(AS levels ABBB).

Don't worry man, I think they've given out hardly any offers so far

Where else have you applied?
Original post by econeconecon
What does everyone think about Durham for Economics?

I was wondering about this too.
Don't worry man, I think they've given out hardly any offers so far

Where else have you applied?

I've applied to Manchester(offer),Queen Mary(offer),Bristol,Nottingham and Warwick!
Original post by tomixox
I'm literally smiling like an idiot at everything your typing because its literally my situation hahaha! My family would be the EXACT same but thank god we don't have to make the decision anymore! Yeah its 20 or something ridiculous like that!!! We can only be hopeful!! I'm also predicted that but in Maths, Bio and Economics (dropped Chem after AS). Yeah I am really relying on getting a PT job and yeah, graduate salaries are craaaaazy!! Yeah, in all honestly, the amount of debt I get in really doesn't bother me which is not the best attitude haha! Same!!! And the nightlife in London will be crazy, which is what Im so excited about! Im just so excited to meet such a vast range of people; like not only from UCL but all over London. Plus graduating from a London university makes getting a job in London so much easier; the networking opportunities are so good!Do you know what you want to do after you graduate? Like career wise?

Maaaate are you serious! As if we've almost done identical A-Levels too haha,

Literally I didn't want to mention how much the nightlife excited me in case I came across as 'superficial' or 'not committed enough to the course' as some people would say, but oh man the London nightlife would literally be incredible. Brb all the best bars, clubs, hangout spots and attractions in the country, all available via tube/cycle/taxi etc. and then the nightlife in the US year abroad would even top that, their house/frat parties look crazy.

The multi cultural aspect of UCL/London in general is also cool, like it's so easy to network and meet potential employers whilst at Uni which is ideal for us Economists. Career wise kind of typical but I'm thinking finance/IB/hedge fund (Columbia uni is ideal for hedge fund) to make money, pay off debts, live the life etc. then maybe start my own business after that? Not entirely made up my mind yet but the money is attractive to say the least haha. You?
Original post by Skill Twix
I've applied to Manchester(offer),Queen Mary(offer),Bristol,Nottingham and Warwick!

Is warwick your first choice? I find the secluded nature of warwicks location a little off putting, heard good things about QM though
Is warwick your first choice? I find the secluded nature of warwicks location a little off putting, heard good things about QM though

Well consider Bristol,Nottingham and Warwick to be my firm!Manchester is surely going to be my insurance choice!
Maaaate are you serious! As if we've almost done identical A-Levels too haha,

Literally I didn't want to mention how much the nightlife excited me in case I came across as 'superficial' or 'not committed enough to the course' as some people would say, but oh man the London nightlife would literally be incredible. Brb all the best bars, clubs, hangout spots and attractions in the country, all available via tube/cycle/taxi etc. and then the nightlife in the US year abroad would even top that, their house/frat parties look crazy.

The multi cultural aspect of UCL/London in general is also cool, like it's so easy to network and meet potential employers whilst at Uni which is ideal for us Economists. Career wise kind of typical but I'm thinking finance/IB/hedge fund (Columbia uni is ideal for hedge fund) to make money, pay off debts, live the life etc. then maybe start my own business after that? Not entirely made up my mind yet but the money is attractive to say the least haha. You?

Hahahaha, i hate those idiots on here who have a heart attack whenever anybody mentions nightlife!!!! I am tooooooo hyped for going out in London, it will be crazy! Can you imagine the parties in US aswell?! Im getting too excited hahaha!
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes! I am literally thinking the same thing after uni! Definitely want to spend my twenties, maybe early thirties in finance/IB/hedge fund. I don't understand why people find it such a problem that we want to do a job that pays well? Didn't know it was such a crime to work hard in order to live comfortably and be able to provide for your family! I think after I want to either work my way up as a director or something for a company or start my own business! I'm so confused as to whether I want to live in London or the US though! I think I want to spend my twentiesish in London and then move to America and settle down there? So undecided because I know I will love them both!!!
Original post by tomixox
Hahahaha, i hate those idiots on here who have a heart attack whenever anybody mentions nightlife!!!! I am tooooooo hyped for going out in London, it will be crazy! Can you imagine the parties in US aswell?! Im getting too excited hahaha!
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes! I am literally thinking the same thing after uni! Definitely want to spend my twenties, maybe early thirties in finance/IB/hedge fund. I don't understand why people find it such a problem that we want to do a job that pays well? Didn't know it was such a crime to work hard in order to live comfortably and be able to provide for your family! I think after I want to either work my way up as a director or something for a company or start my own business! I'm so confused as to whether I want to live in London or the US though! I think I want to spend my twentiesish in London and then move to America and settle down there? So undecided because I know I will love them both!!!

They're the worst kind of people for sure hahaha, and me too oh my days London nightlife is the one. US University nightlife with the frat parties etc. has to be the most exciting thing ever, plus the people over there will be fascinated by our British accents which is always a bonus

I know exactly what you mean, I hate seeing the people moaning about 'why does everyone wanna do IB' 'everyone who wants to go into finance is money hungry/will have no life'
So sorry that I want to do a respected, well paid, exciting and constantly changing job! I think I definitely want to experience both, ideally I'd want to live in NY/California if I'm in the US and obviously there's nowhere but London in the UK for me really. London will be amazing man we've gotta get them places!!
They're the worst kind of people for sure hahaha, and me too oh my days London nightlife is the one. US University nightlife with the frat parties etc. has to be the most exciting thing ever, plus the people over there will be fascinated by our British accents which is always a bonus

I know exactly what you mean, I hate seeing the people moaning about 'why does everyone wanna do IB' 'everyone who wants to go into finance is money hungry/will have no life'
So sorry that I want to do a respected, well paid, exciting and constantly changing job! I think I definitely want to experience both, ideally I'd want to live in NY/California if I'm in the US and obviously there's nowhere but London in the UK for me really. London will be amazing man we've gotta get them places!!

Finally some people who appreciate the London hype!!
Original post by jchap9776

what's not to love! where have you applied?
what's not to love! where have you applied?

Lse, ucl, cambridge, Warwick and Exeter :smile: but I think even if I did get lucky enough to get cambridge, the whole London experience might be enough to make me turn them down, idk
Original post by jchap9776

You guys are my kind of people!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending