Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MevMev)
    Mmm yeah my teachers are telling me that if you don't get the grades for medicine, its not the end of the world because they see me personally making so much more of a contribution as a scientist rather than a doctor, also they were like your interest lies in finding out about new stuff in science and research would suit me well and I should do post grad med if I still want it after neuroscience
    That is true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JNicholl)
    It was resistant with PM inhibited and resistant (without PM inhibited). The question said that other factors (besides PM) increased survival. As the flies with resistance but PM inhibited was greater for surviving. Roughly 125 minutes for them to all die as opposed to 55 minutes for non resistant flies. So from that you know that resistance (another factor) is increasing survival. You could also compare that to the flies that don't have PM inhibited to show that it's not as effective for survival but nonetheless it improves it.
    Yeah I wrote something about there being a difference and they'd be the same so there must be other factors. Just seemed a bit weirdly worded to me but aqa are experts at that

ReputationRep:
    Hy guys just wanted to ask if anyone made an unofficial mark scheme? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anyone predicted any sort of grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faaiz Shah)
    Oh yeah!!
    I remember writing actin and tropimyosin and atpase haha fail!!
    I think it was actin (as per the diagram on the next page), troponin (tropimyosin holds it in place) and ATPase

ReputationRep:
    For the essay (a), I wrote about temperature,blood ph, blood glucose and water potential, immune responses and eye receptors. Included a tonne of other stuff in my plan like haemoglobin and tropisms and taxis/kinesis but didn't have time to write it all! My paragraphs were all in quite a lot of detail and for most paragraphs I wrote about two sentences of off spec stuff, is that enough? When they say you get marks for stuff off spec I never really know how much they're talking about? Any help would be great thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I just wanted to ask about the essay. I did essay 10a, And I am wondering if my topics are relevant:

-Control of body temperature
    -Control of blood sugar
    -Control of blood pH
    -Xerophytes and reducing water loss
    -Glycolysis (Producing ATP in low oxygen conditions)
    -Immune response (endocytosis)

Help would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatyization)
    Hey everyone. I just wanted to ask about the essay. I did essay 10a, And I am wondering if my topics are relevant:

-Control of body temperature
    -Control of blood sugar
    -Control of blood pH
    -Xerophytes and reducing water loss
    -Glycolysis (Producing ATP in low oxygen conditions)
    -Immune response (endocytosis)
    Help would be great
    Yep! That's literally exactly what I included but eye receptors instead of xerophytes but did include that on my plan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMJ_1996)
    Yep! That's literally exactly what I included but eye receptors instead of xerophytes but did include that on my plan
    Thanks for replying. Im glad im not the only one . What are you aiming for in the exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatyization)
    Thanks for replying. Im glad im not the only one . What are you aiming for in the exam?
    Haha sounds good to me! Do you know how much off spec stuff they expect you to write to give you marks for it? Because I wrote a bit in almost every paragraph but only about two sentences, would that count do you think? An A is what I need so an A really, but id rly like an A*, you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMJ_1996)
    Haha sounds good to me! Do you know how much off spec stuff they expect you to write to give you marks for it? Because I wrote a bit in almost every paragraph but only about two sentences, would that count do you think? An A is what I need so an A really, but id rly like an A*, you?
    Phew! Im glad... Im really not too sure, I was always told that off spec stuff should be in sufficient depth but I imagine including anything relevant that's beyond A-level knowledge would be favourable and desirable.

Im aiming for an A*. It would be so happy if I got that .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackkilbeyy)
    I think it was actin (as per the diagram on the next page), troponin (tropimyosin holds it in place) and ATPase
    Someone On here explained that it was tropomyosin not troponin a dew days back ahha

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I did B and I was worried coz no one else did haha
    I wrote about tumour suppressor genes and cancer, succession, bacteria, atheromas (controlling the growth), recombinant DNA with antithrombin for haemophilliacs

ReputationRep:
    I did essay 10a and wrote about

Blood glucose levels
    Control of temperature
    Blood pH
    Taxis/tropism
    Digestion
    I wrote some off spec stuff for blood glucose and talked about the tomato plants for tropism and how the carrier proteins moved IAA out. Do you think that will count as off spec because it was already in the paper?
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Where's the unofficial mark scheme for both papers?????

ReputationRep:
    So for the essay I also wrote about autonomic nervous respones to a harmful stimulus. Is this relevent for 10a)

ReputationRep:
    Is autonomic nervous response to harmful stimuli relevant to 10a)? I also wrote about he formation of carbonic acid and how its a secondary weak acid. Wrote the equilibrium equation hoping for out of spec marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faaiz Shah)
    Someone On here explained that it was tropomyosin not troponin a dew days back ahha
    Plus, troponin is not actually on the spec? The AQA book only describes the movement of tropomyosin, so although troponin could be an acceptable answer (idk?), it would not be the main one that they were looking for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wanderlust__)
    Hello! I did B and I was worried coz no one else did haha
    I wrote about tumour suppressor genes and cancer, succession, bacteria, atheromas (controlling the growth), recombinant DNA with antithrombin for haemophilliacs
    i did controlling the growth and development of bacteria for insulin production

controling animal growth for intensive battery farming and artificial selection

controlling the growth of plants with fertilisers and inhibiting the growth and development of pest species.

for humans, i spoke breifly about controling mating (genetic screening to avoid genetic diseases)

ReputationRep:
    what sort of mark would maximum ums be for bio5? I mucked up bio4, but this went really well, so I'm feeling somewhat hopeful that I could still get an A overall

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.