Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Funny how 2 year ago there were arguments over who was better De Gea or Szczesny. De Gea is now getting poached to succeed one of the greatest goalkeepers at probably the greatest club, and Szczesny is going get to sit on the bench and watch a 33 year old Cech.

(Original post by jam277)
    Bare in mind Casillas is a keeper who relied on his reflexes due to a relatively short stature, while Van Der Sar and Buffon have/had other areas of their game that was good enough to make up for any decline in reflexes. Schmeichel I can't talk too much about, but I'd anticipate by the end of the 2 year Arsenal will be needing a new keeper. Can see him shining for this season though. Didn't do anything wrong last season despite little gametime.
    That is what I'm saying, goalkeepers do decline and whether or not they are able to keep playing like Giggs, Scholes, Pirlo or whatever is more about whether or not they can adapt their game, or need to. Cech has got quite a commanding presence but he's always played behind a good defence with strong characters, and his shot stopping ability has been a key part of his game. I think its a move Arsenal were right to make, but its still not a good move financially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    Cech has got quite a commanding presence but he's always played behind a good defence with strong characters, and his shot stopping ability has been a key part of his game.
    Yeah that's true to an extent. In an individual sense we have always had strong defenders. However during AVBs time and Benitez'/Di Matteo's time our defence as a collective unit was not strong in any sense of the word, yet Cech was putting in match winning performances(e.g. Barcelona home 2012). I guess how Arsenal play now is different as they're more defensively aware, so I can't see anything other than Cech beasting it there.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't say its a bad move financially though considering as i've said we're gaining Lollichon from Chelsea too, its just unusually short sited of Wenger really but when you take in to account that we're gaining a WC keeper something we've lacked for so long and a mentor to the other brat, who as much as I dislike has the potential to be our future number 1, as well as a very highly rated GK coach who will stay with the club long after Cech. Also taking in to consideration our current GK coach whos moved to Swansea wouldn't work with Szczesny iirc.

At face value £14m is a lot, even taking in to account all of the above its still on the expensive side but they definitely havent fleeced us or anything.

ReputationRep:
    It is bad financially. It shouldn't be more than 8m. But **** it money isn't a thing anymore- with BT CL money and next season PL money, it won't even be noticed. Certain players are worth overpaying for and I'm one that's uncomfortable with signing a Chelsea legend and will probably quickly hate on him.

He won't decline either and is obviously an upgrade on what we have.

But chelsea are a ***** to deal with, KGB definitely involved. Every transfer window, they manage to sell a player surplus to recruitment for big money.

BRB loftus cheek to City for 50m, bamford to WH for 30m.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_91)
    Mental health issues are one of the biggest social disasters in this country, it's so underfunded and now cut to shreds, then stigmatised in the media. It's despicable.
    it's what you get when humans with those primitive "survival of the fittest", pack-hunting minds take over our countries / corporations

ReputationRep:
    Going to be strange actually having confidence in the keeper watching us play.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by De Chirico)
    Going to be strange actually having confidence in the keeper watching us play.
    It's been what, 15 years? Seaman wasn't great in his last season and Lehmann was prone to the odd **** up.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why Mourinho would let him go to Arsenal. He's strengthening probably the weakest position of one of his closest title rivals, and if the 14m figure is true then yeah it's a great deal but it's still not a huge amount. If Cech refuses to go anywhere outside London then sell him to Crystal Palace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atom y humber)
    BRB loftus cheek to City for 50m, bamford to WH for 30m.
    I'd prefer "Loftus Cheek to Loftus Road"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    I don't understand why Mourinho would let him go to Arsenal. He's strengthening probably the weakest position of one of his closest title rivals, and if the 14m figure is true then yeah it's a great deal but it's still not a huge amount. If Cech refuses to go anywhere outside London then sell him to Crystal Palace.
    It's a gesture of good will for his years of service more than anything. It's like saying why did Mourinho sell Mata to United?

ReputationRep:
    I know you get utter *******s at every club who photoshop players into their own teams kit at the slightest sniff of a transfer, but for cringe factor this tops the lot by a long way ffs

Name:  IMG_20150620_204706.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  35.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    I know you get utter *******s at every club who photoshop players into their own teams kit at the slightest sniff of a transfer, but for cringe factor this tops the lot by a long way ffs

Name:  IMG_20150620_204706.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  35.1 KB
    And I bet I could find you a dozen fans acting like girls over those Messi to Chelsea rumours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefano93)
    And I bet I could find you a dozen fans acting like girls over those Messi to Chelsea rumours
    Hence the reason I said you get *******s at every club, but hey, thanks for taking the time to actually read my post.

Reported for offensive language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Hence the reason I said you get *******s at every club, but hey, thanks for taking the time to actually read my post.

Reported for offensive language
    just lol

ReputationRep:
    We'll see who's laughing when the TSR police come to your house at 4am and ban your account.

ReputationRep:
    I miss baconbutty and smaug.

ReputationRep:
    Pot kettle Black. Every time shed declares he's reporting a post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Pot kettle Black. Every time shed declares he's reporting a post
    Pot Kettle Black when you say someone's particular post is trolling and doesn't add anything to the general conversation.

Out of all the Arsenal fans on here, you're probably the one most #obsessed with me - every single time you post it references me in some way - i'm actually quite worried.

ReputationRep:
    Just lol, you'd have thought these lads would have learnt not to take the bait, actually painful to see 2 posters get absolutely mugged off on such a regular basis but fall for the trick again and again.

Quite surprised Cech signing is all but complete, never thought Chelsea would sell, and certainly won't celebrate until it is on the Arsenal website. To be honest £14mil is a lot, but if it helps us win the league it's nothing, United did the same with RVP a few years ago.

ReputationRep:
    can we get a little kitty going for Shed End?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 8, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.