Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A win tomorrow and we are only 6 points off the leaders! The best thing is we have played most our games against the top 6 away from home and we've been able to take points of them too. Makes the second half of the season slightly easier, considering how well we perform in the second half of the season no reason why we can't be in contention for first place. Easier said than done though...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    A win tomorrow and we are only 6 points off the leaders! The best thing is we have played most our games against the top 6 away from home and we've been able to take points of them too. Makes the second half of the season slightly easier, considering how well we perform in the second half of the season no reason why we can't be in contention for first place. Easier said than done though...
    We were only six points off the pace last week.

But I agree, these results are playing into our hands if we can take advantage tomorrow. The first goal is crucial, though.

If Newcastle get that first goal, you can imagine them scrapping for it with the crowd behind them. If we get it, and the Newcastle fans and players get their heads down, you have a feeling another drubbing could be on.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is that our away form has been so damn good that i'm actually a little disappointed we won't be able to play our rivals again in their stadiums

You're right though; hardest games of the season all out of the way and potential to strengthen in the january window? Things are looking so so good.
    My only concern is that we burn out towards the end of the season. I'm not sure on Klopp's record for season endings but his high energy game is new to a lot of our players so i'm slightly worried that we won't be able to keep it up for the entire campaign.
    (Original post by Mackay)
    But I agree, these results are playing into our hands if we can take advantage tomorrow. The first goal is crucial, though.

If Newcastle get that first goal, you can imagine them scrapping for it with the crowd behind them. If we get it, and the Newcastle fans and players get their heads down, you have a feeling another drubbing could be on.
    Don't say this often to one of your posts but I respectfully disagree.

Newcastle are the absolute worst team in the league at holding leads and recently we've been excellent at pulling them back - Bordeaux, Chelsea, Soton, etc...
    If we start poorly, Newcastle scoring will kick us in to gear so either way i'm not gonna get worried unless it gets to 80 mins and we aren't winning.

Problem for Newcastle is that I don't think they can afford to settle for a draw. They're in such a bad position with such terrible momentum that they desperately need a win to kickstart a rebirth of form. A scrappy draw against one of the best teams in the league wouldn't be terrible but considering their circumstances they really need to be getting a win.
    That plays very nicely in to our hands.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea lose too so only Arsenal and Leicester pick up points today.

A win tomorrow and we get even closer to the pack at the top. Hoping the lads don't bottle it!

Some of the guys above us play each other before Xmas so should be a few more dropped points in the coming weeks.

ReputationRep:
    We were only six points off the pace last week.

Were we? I didn't realise.
    Nah I agree with Luke, Newcastle have been dog ****. Even if they were to score first we'd be all over them like a rash, they won't be able to handle our pressing. I think we'll win 3-0 easily.

(Original post by Lúcio)
    Thing is that our away form has been so damn good that i'm actually a little disappointed we won't be able to play our rivals again in their stadiums

You're right though; hardest games of the season all out of the way and potential to strengthen in the january window? Things are looking so so good.
    My only concern is that we burn out towards the end of the season. I'm not sure on Klopp's record for season endings but his high energy game is new to a lot of our players so i'm slightly worried that we won't be able to keep it up for the entire campaign.

Don't say this often to one of your posts but I respectfully disagree.

Newcastle are the absolute worst team in the league at holding leads and recently we've been excellent at pulling them back - Bordeaux, Chelsea, Soton, etc...
    If we start poorly, Newcastle scoring will kick us in to gear so either way i'm not gonna get worried unless it gets to 80 mins and we aren't winning.

Problem for Newcastle is that I don't think they can afford to settle for a draw. They're in such a bad position will such terrible momentum that they desperately need a win to kickstart a rebirth of form. A scrappy draw against one of the best teams in the league wouldn't be terrible but considering their circumstances they really need to be getting a win.
    That plays very nicely in to our hands.
    Now we need to focus on our home form and make Anfield a fortress again where opponents are scared to visit. Just like how it was in the 13/14 season.
    Most teams will fatigue towards the end of the season so it shouldn't be too problematic. I'm sure Klopp will have other tactics up his sleeve to combat any tiredness. Plus if we can add one or two new players during the Jan window and we have no injuries then Klopp can rotate the squad effectively and get the best out of the team.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No Coutinho tomorrow then, Toure has travelled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Chelsea lose too so only Arsenal and Leicester pick up points today.

A win tomorrow and we get even closer to the pack at the top. Hoping the lads don't bottle it!

Some of the guys above us play each other before Xmas so should be a few more dropped points in the coming weeks.
    Chelsea are 14 points off top 4 with almost half the season gone.
    They're absolutely done.

I keep thinking Leicester will drop off but they're 9 points clear of us. Unless they lose a few games before Xmas, i think people have to consider a very real possibility that they'll make top 4.
    If that's the case, not only would we have to beat Spurs but we'd also have to finish above United most likely too.
    It's sad because I want Leicester to do well but for the sake of our top 4 hopes, they need to fail.

Now we need to focus on our home form and make Anfield a fortress again where opponents are scared to visit. Just like how it was in the 13/14 season.
    Most teams will fatigue towards the end of the season so it shouldn't be too problematic. I'm sure Klopp will have other tactics up his sleeve to combat any tiredness. Plus if we can add one or two new players during the Jan window and we have no injuries then Klopp can rotate the squad effectively and get the best out of the team.
    That's the problem. Anfield hasn't been a fortress for a while, and it's much worse when you look at how amazing our away form is.

True, we really need to trust in Klopp and if he raids Dortmund in January (please God), he'll be able to acquire a few players that can set the example for how to maintain the high energy game all season long.]
    I think injuries aren't as issue when you consider our exceptional depth.
    Things are really looking up for us but we still need to get the points on the board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    Win tomorrow and I don't see why we won't win the league.

Oh and we'll score 4 minimum
    Liverpool doin the treble

ReputationRep:
    In terms of raiding Dortmund, apparently Subotic wants to leave Dortmund as he's not getting much game time there. However, to go for him after his injury with him only having played 1 game this season would be very risky. (http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/12...martin-skrtel/)

Do you guys have any tips on how to get tickets at Anfield without being a season ticket holder or LFC member? I'm currently in London and can't go to Anfield very often, but I was thinking of going there for my birthday. Any tips would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    In terms of raiding Dortmund, apparently Subotic wants to leave Dortmund as he's not getting much game time there. However, to go for him after his injury with him only having played 1 game this season would be very risky. (http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/12...martin-skrtel/)
    That's why we have Klopp though - he knows the Dortmund players inside and out so i'm confident in his ability to sign the rights ones (if we were to).
    Obviously i'd unrealistically prefer Hummels but i'd take Subotic in a heartbeat.
    Throw in Gundogan too and we'd be pretty much sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    That's why we have Klopp though - he knows the Dortmund players inside and out so i'm confident in his ability to sign the rights ones (if we were to).
    Obviously i'd unrealistically prefer Hummels but i'd take Subotic in a heartbeat.
    Throw in Gundogan too and we'd be pretty much sorted
    True, but Klopp won't know e.g. Subotic's progress in the last 6 months. I'd definitely take Subotic (assuming he can stay fit), but given the fact that Sakho seems to be injured every month or two, we really don't need another top quality defender that can't stay fit. Though if both can stay fit, a back 2 of Sakho and Subotic would be quality :drool::drool:.

ReputationRep:
    Won't be surprised if you lot win the league. Sturridge needs to stay fit but while Arsenal are my main contenders for the league title, if the injury bug hits them even harder and you can stay fit, anything can happen. I really don't rate the Manchester clubs(United more so than City) and I feel like you have a lot of attacking quality that was just untapped by the previous regime.

I wonder about your natural fitness over the course of a season, but this team is easily better than the 13/14 team as a squad. You can put Firminho, Can, Lallana, Benteke as rotational options when before you had Victor Moses, Iago Aspas and Joe Allen...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Won't be surprised if you lot win the league. Sturridge needs to stay fit but while Arsenal are my main contenders for the league title, if the injury bug hits them even harder and you can stay fit, anything can happen. I really don't rate the Manchester clubs(United more so than City) and I feel like you have a lot of attacking quality that was just untapped by the previous regime.

I wonder about your natural fitness over the course of a season, but this team is easily better than the 13/14 team as a squad. You can put Firminho, Can, Lallana, Benteke as rotational options when before you had Victor Moses, Iago Aspas and Joe Allen...
    We do seem to have a little more depth this year. Hopefully we'll add a bit more in January - in particular at fullback.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We do seem to have a little more depth this year. Hopefully we'll add a bit more in January - in particular at fullback.
    Strengthening at left-back, in particular, is pivotal. We can't rely on a returning Flanagan (back on the 19th of this month, I believe?) and Randall.

That said, we got within a whisker of winning the league with Cissokho and Flanagan, so if Klopp feels the money would be better spent elsewhere and keep the full-back berths for youngsters who are hungry and driven and full of concentration, then I'm happy to follow his lead.

The fitness thing is a concern. You don't know if the team will blow up towards the end of the campaign given the intensity of our work under Klopp thus far.

How far we get into the other contests may decide that.

I've heard we're after Großkreutz.

Do you guys have any tips on how to get tickets at Anfield without being a season ticket holder or LFC member? I'm currently in London and can't go to Anfield very often, but I was thinking of going there for my birthday. Any tips would be appreciated!
    It's very hard, mate. Become a LFC member is my honest advice, or get the auto cup scheme next year. Me and a few others on here do. Outside of that, your best options is second-hand ticketing websites.

ReputationRep:
    Strengthening at left-back, in particular, is pivotal. We can't rely on a returning Flanagan (back on the 19th of this month, I believe?) and Randall.

That said, we got within a whisker of winning the league with Cissokho and Flanagan, so if Klopp feels the money would be better spent elsewhere and keep the full-back berths for youngsters who are hungry and driven and full of concentration, then I'm happy to follow his lead.

The fitness thing is a concern. You don't know if the team will blow up towards the end of the campaign given the intensity of our work under Klopp thus far.

How far we get into the other contests may decide that.

It's very hard, mate. Become a LFC member is my honest advice, or get the auto cup scheme next year. Me and a few others on here do. Outside of that, your best options is second-hand ticketing websites.
    Well we always have Enrique for LB?
    Either we buy a fullback who can play on both flanks and cover or we should be looking to buy one fullback and perhaps loan the other? Clyne can play on both sides which is helpful. Doubt we can recall Wisdom?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I hear that Glen Johnson can play on both flanks

Oh wait.....

I doubt he would have been happy being a rotation option, but if he would have been happy, I'd have kept him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Very rarely do tickets make it to General Sale, your best bet is early League Cup games (people who went to Carlisle and Bournemouth will get priority for the Stoke game). Europa League games can be fairly easy to get tickets for but again it'll be the people who went to the group stage games that'll get priority now we're in the knockout stages.

Depends when your birthday is - if there's a slightly 'meh' fixture like Sunderland/Newcastle or an evening game with a small away support you may get lucky.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well we always have Enrique for LB?
    Either we buy a fullback who can play on both flanks and cover or we should be looking to buy one fullback and perhaps loan the other? Clyne can play on both sides which is helpful. Doubt we can recall Wisdom?
    I'd have kept Wisdom to begin with, really. But, anyway, Enrique seems done at Anfield. I miss his social media presence, though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

They're definitely in with a chance of winning it. Having all their big games at Anfield in the second half of the season is huge - United, City, Tottenham and Everton all have poor records at Anfield and we all know about Chelsea this year.

Arsenal, City, Liverpool and United will be the top four it's just a question of what order.

ReputationRep:

I've never heard of Großkreutz tbh, done a bit of Googling and he's 27, plays at LM/LW? Have you seen him play or know how good he is?

It helps that Klopp knows that Dortmund team inside out, so if we do buy anybody from there then I can't see them flopping.

My issue with becoming a member is that I probably won't get to go to another game this season and next season I will (hopefully) be starting a PhD so there's no way in hell I'll be able to go :/. So I'd be spending £30 on a season-long pass to only buy 1 ticket.

(Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Very rarely do tickets make it to General Sale, your best bet is early League Cup games (people who went to Carlisle and Bournemouth will get priority for the Stoke game). Europa League games can be fairly easy to get tickets for but again it'll be the people who went to the group stage games that'll get priority now we're in the knockout stages.

Depends when your birthday is - if there's a slightly 'meh' fixture like Sunderland/Newcastle or an evening game with a small away support you may get lucky.
    Funny you should say that, actually. My birthday is late Jan so the ideal situation would be against Stoke on 26th Jan (LC Semi-final) but it's unlikely that it'll make it to general sale, the game after that though is against Sunderland .

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.