The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S.Ahmad
I said the other way round?

you could be right im not sure, i just remember reading somewhere that organisms will only produce one optical isomer and it doesnt state in the question whether chemical synthesis involves chiral pool synthesis or an enzyme catalyst so i presumed the reaction had no measures to ensure one of the optical isomers, so you get me?
Original post by abiofdoom
What did people get for the mass of compound A?

2.66 is the correct answer.
Original post by abiofdoom
What did people get for the mass of compound A?

Edit: 135 for rfm and 2.66g
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Guarddogbarney
I believe it was 135

that was the mr,
Original post by slugmonkey97
you could be right im not sure, i just remember reading somewhere that organisms will only produce one optical isomer and it doesnt state in the question whether chemical synthesis involves chiral pool synthesis or an enzyme catalyst so i presumed the reaction had no measures to ensure one of the optical isomers, so you get me?

This is making me so depressed rn, just realising I've dropped 9marks already...

You're right -I've just looked at the specification:
"using natural chiral molecules, such as Laminoacids or sugars, as startingmaterials."
Original post by aegonsconquest
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 20.15.26.png

guys i got this as my fragment for m/z = 44
surely its right, right?

anyone?
Original post by S.Ahmad
2.66 is the correct answer.

Wicked, thanks
Original post by S.Ahmad
This is making me so depressed rn, just realising I've dropped 9marks already...

You're right -I've just looked at the specification:
"using natural chiral molecules, such as Laminoacids or sugars, as startingmaterials."

ah same :frown: Its gonna suck if the boundaries are A=52
Original post by lai812matthew
question about stitches: is it asking about hydrolysis of photodegradable. or you need both to score 3.

Dissolvable stitches are used for internal and external stiches. If they're used inside the body they are hydrolysed. For external stiches, the part inside the body gets dissolved but the bit outside has to be removed by a dr as it doesn't break down. PLA is used in plastic cups etc so over the time period they were talking about (a few weeks), common sense says they don't photodegrade.
Heh, ChemistryALevel on Twitter made the same boundary predictions as I did. :smile:

Original post by marioman
At a guess, anything in the range 58-60.

How about...

90/90 - 58
A* - 54
A - 50
B - 46
C - 42
D - 38
E - 34

Incredibly, my controlled assessment was 40/40 and resets went well so hopefully might still come out with an A.
Original post by astrohooper
Dissolvable stitches are used for internal and external stiches. If they're used inside the body they are hydrolysed. For external stiches, the part inside the body gets dissolved but the bit outside has to be removed by a dr as it doesn't break down. PLA is used in plastic cups etc so over the time period they were talking about (a few weeks), common sense says they don't photodegrade.

I drew hydrogen bonds on a diagram with water with the lactic acid product too
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 20.15.26.png

guys i got this as my fragment for m/z = 44
surely its right, right?

tho im not sure about 2 bonds being lost.. is that correct
In case you missed it, the unofficial mark scheme is here: https://goo.gl/gEi388

to be honest i think the test was harder than people think and because a lot of people thought they understood the questions and there was an easy nmr at the end is the reason people think the boundaries will be high, however i think the questions were sneakily harder than they seemed and a lot of people may have misinterpreted the questions, they also required a lot of quite detailed knowledge which some people overlook, such as the optical isomers one, i wouldnt be surprised if the grade boundaries were high 40s for an A.
anyone?

your carbon furthest to the left has two bonds removed, not one. Your structure would have a 2+ charge. Sorry man I don't think it's right
Original post by slugmonkey97
maybe so, but according to the text book and ocr, the link we're supposed to make is cis are naturally occuring and trans are produced via processes like making margerine

yeah i just read that in the textbook mate.normally doesn't mean it's a 100% certainty so it may still be accepted.
Original post by Serine Soul
Read over the textbook, read chemguide, keep at it until you get it.

270/300 (90% average) across A2 units and 80% average across all A2 and AS units

You may find this useful http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/convert-raw-marks-to-ums/

Hey. How many raw marks can be lost at A2?
Original post by ali_t9001
your carbon furthest to the left has two bonds removed, not one. Your structure would have a 2+ charge. Sorry man I don't think it's right

ah ok, btw the 1st Q was 2 marks right>?
Original post by astrohooper

the question says that the stitches would dissolve after one to two weeks time i think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending