Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eurovision Song Contest 2011 Society Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fidan134)
    So. I think I need to interfere and correct some people.

1) Azerbaijan is not a muslim country. It is a secular country, with the majority of people being muslim. (there is less people wearing head-scarfs than in UK)
    2) Some part of Azerbaijan lies in Europe, the other part in Asia. Believe me, I know what I am saying. I've been studying geography of this country for a long period of time.
    3) If this was absolutely political, then the winner would be same each year. E.G. Sometimes Russia comes 1st, sometimes 17th. SO this means it's not just politics. there is something in the song as well.
    4) I don't think Azerbaijan is that popular in europe to get so many votes. As they got so many, then europe must have liked them.
    5) Don't worry, they do have nice hotels, and they CAN afford next Eurovision.
    6) I have been there many times, and it is one of the beautiful countries I've ever seen. Baku, the capital, always reminds me of London. Very majestic.
    7) For those who think it is not a winning song:
    Did you like Lena's last years performance? with stupid lyrics, saying: I bought new underwear, they’re blue
    And I wore ‘em just the other day????? Do you think THIS shameful song deserved to win, but Azerbaijan's
    romantic performance didn't? Lena's song is what should make you worried about Europe's taste.
    8) Stop being jealous that they won! If the majority of Europe thinks so, you can do nothing about it. You'll say politics? No! Countries like San-Marino, Malta, Cyprus, Iceland, Poland, Croatia, Romania, Albania, Portugal, Lithuania, Bosnia and Herz, Austria and Estonia HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH AZERBAIJAN, BUT STILL GAVE 8-12 POINTS TO THEM! They are not bordering it, they are not Soviet Union countries, they are not muslim countries.
    9) Just accept it. In my opinion this song and Greece's entry were the best songs that ever participated in Eurovision.

Thanks for your attention
    Rubbish, it was a terrible song. Greece was dreck as well. Whoever thought that rapping with a balcan accent was a good idea had one of the worst ideas ever.
    Look, actually caring about musical quality is the last thing to do in Eurovision. It's about the kitsch. It's about the fun, the hooks, the catchiness. Azerbaijan's song was so schmaltzy it gave me diabetes. It was forgettable, dull, generic, and insipid. Lena's song was shameful? Wrong. It was quirky, fun, catchy, and you, sir, and nothing but a bigot. An apologetic bigot with very bad taste.

ReputationRep:
    I loved Greece's song :love: And the singers was:drool:

Imo, Lee ruined it for Blue. He was screeching left, right and centre. I think he let nerves get to him quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
      I just thought they should have left that song back in the 90s :dontknow:.

ReputationRep:
      I'm quite happy with UK's result yesterday. I can clearly remember the time when we got no points. I remember listening to all the voting from all the countries hoping that at least one country would give us something. and we ended up with 'nul points'. So I was happy that we did pretty well yesterday. we were on the left side of the leaderboard and we got a respectable 100 points. Ireland also did really well. jedward's performance is the usual kind of thing that tends to be popular on eurovision. But I can't believe that Ireland didn't give us their 12 points. when we gave jedward our 12 points. :rolleyes:

Azerbaijan was absolutely terrible, it was definitely in the bottom five in my opinion. Pretty much everything except for Ireland, Russia and Greece was better.

ReputationRep:
        I think I'm the only person who thought Lena's new song this time round was really good, and in the performance she looked so :sogood:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Stray_talk)
        Imo, Lee ruined it for Blue. He was screeching left, right and centre. I think he let nerves get to him quite a bit.
        Ugh yes! I reeeally don't like his voice at all.
        He's like a little monkey :afraid:

(Original post by A level Az)
          I think I'm the only person who thought Lena's new song this time round was really good, and in the performance she looked so :sogood:
          I like it! But I don't think it was really in keeping with the whole Eurovision "vibe". The actually song (not lyrics) seems a little too sophisticated and uncheesey

(Original post by souldoubt)
          Ugh yes! I reeeally don't like his voice at all.
          He's like a little monkey :afraid:
          Hah! And I don't even know why Anthony was there.
          Tbh, Duncan and Simon should have done it alone, probably would have done equally good job if not better

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Stray_talk)
          Hah! And I don't even know why Anthony was there.
          Tbh, Duncan and Simon should have done it alone, probably would have done equally good job if not better
          Yep! I'm a huuuuge fan of Simon Webbe

ReputationRep:
          Was I the only one who thought Estonia was good?
          My ratings
          Estonia 12
          Sweden 10
          Ireland 8

ReputationRep:
          Lena who did Germany's song was smoking hot, gutted she wont be on it next year

ReputationRep:
          Lena gave me a sizeable boner.

ReputationRep:
          I'm surprised at how badly France did; they were the bookies' favourite to win. I guess Eurovision isn't ready to move away from pop yet. I was impressed at how well the Italian jazz pianist did, though; he was talented.

France was boring!

ReputationRep:
            Lena's song was quite catchy, I liked it

ReputationRep:
            Poor Swizterland. I suppose Bubbles just don't cut it for pyrotechnics when everyone else has Sand drawers, ITV's Cube, Fire and a Spark waterfall

ReputationRep:

I'll just leave this here...

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by hali0112)
            I'm quite happy with UK's result yesterday. I can clearly remember the time when we got no points. I remember listening to all the voting from all the countries hoping that at least one country would give us something. and we ended up with 'nul points'. So I was happy that we did pretty well yesterday. we were on the left side of the leaderboard and we got a respectable 100 points. Ireland also did really well. jedward's performance is the usual kind of thing that tends to be popular on eurovision. But I can't believe that Ireland didn't give us their 12 points. when we gave jedward our 12 points. :rolleyes:

Blue ****ged Jedward off! So did Sweden actually. Definitely affected our points for both. Also, would have been higher but Blue's performance could have been a lot better.

ReputationRep:
            I was so happy when we gave Switzerland 10 points, it was a criminally underrated entry. As for the winner ... meh. It's a nice song, and I'm very happy for them, but it sort of feels like Azerbaijan won by default. They didn't get a very high score, only got 3 sets of 12 points, and in any other year 221 points would get you 2nd or 3rd place, so it feels like they only won because there was no wining song this year, if that makes sense.

Still, like I said, they did enter a very nice song and I'm very happy for them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
          Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.