Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applied to Imperial iBSc's?? I've majorly left it to the last minute but am struggling with the EMBARK system. I've uploaded my reference as an attachment since I already have a copy, so I don't need to register my referee, but how do I get past that section without it flagging up that I haven't registered a referee? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Just got my banding for FY1 - Emergency Med 1a, Surgery 1b, Medicine 1b.
    What are they going to have you doing as an FY1 in Emergency medicine..? Is it MAU type stuff rather than A&E?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    What are they going to have you doing as an FY1 in Emergency medicine..? Is it MAU type stuff rather than A&E?
    We had F1s in A&E when I was there. They don't work the mental rota that the SHOs have to do, and they're not allowed to discharge anyone without a senior review, but that aside they did pretty much what we did, with a little more hand-holding and no nights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Definitely A&E rather than MAU. Little scared tbh - it's a bit deep end.

Having said that, it can't be much different from my recent A&E placement where I clerked patients, recommended investigations and a diagnosis before reviewing with a senior, except that I might actually be able to order investigations and patients hopefully will demand a 'real doctor' less.

ReputationRep:
    Just on my way out to see the Amateur Transplants.. SO EXCITED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Just on my way out to see the Amateur Transplants.. SO EXCITED
    Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    We had F1s in A&E when I was there. They don't work the mental rota that the SHOs have to do, and they're not allowed to discharge anyone without a senior review, but that aside they did pretty much what we did, with a little more hand-holding and no nights.
    1a suggests that the rota might not be that sane...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    1a suggests that the rota might not be that sane...
    I was 1a all of F1 and some (not all!) of my rotas were ok, and no nights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I was 1a all of F1 and some (not all!) of my rotas were ok, and no nights.
    I was 1b for the same, 1 in 6(ish).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I was 1b for the same, 1 in 6(ish).
    1b for 1 in 8

ReputationRep:
    Lucky bugger! My A&E house officer job was unbounded! I only took home £1100 after tax the first pay check! It's a fun job and will make you much happier when you have to start trouble shooting kn the wards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    1b for 1 in 8
    I'm now 1B for 1 in, err, maybe September.

Laziest SHOs in the hossie.

ReputationRep:
    I just got chest pain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    I just got chest pain
    guaranteed musculoskeletal :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    guaranteed musculoskeletal :O
    Whats your clerking, investigations,diagnosis, problem list and management plan?? :cool: - And no, I'm not satisfied with 'turf home' :eek:

The team I was with the other day thought I was a final year, they looked really worried and asked me whaere I was working next year...

ReputationRep:
    I just got chest pain
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=89

ReputationRep:
    Whats your clerking, investigations,diagnosis, problem list and management plan?? :cool: - And no, I'm not satisfied with 'turf home' :eek:
    PR definitely needed then.

ReputationRep:

The team I was with the other day thought I was a final year, they looked really worried and asked me whaere I was working next year...
    Mate seriously - unless you've any undisclosed medical conditions - it will be that.

I thought I had a heart attack until it passed like a minute later :p:

Through a LOAD of chest clerkings - young people = MS unless proven otherwise
    [Excluding the obvious asthma and so on - but there will be signs)

Does it hurt on palpation?

ReputationRep:
    I forgot the words to heads, shoulders, knees and toes earlier, that was probably the most retarded moment of my life. And didn't bode well considering I was in a meeting where I was being taught how to teach english as a second language. I think I need to pick up my books and revise anatomy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dances_with_lamposts)
    You sould see the strap on boobs we have for breast exams - it's really hard to keep a straight face while examining male colleagues wearing those!
    I've got pictures of one of my firm partners (no homo) wearing those boobs. Interesting story, this same friend 'FRaped' the teaching coordinator at one of our hospitals. Basically he put, "Got my sex change operation tomorrow, wish me luck" and changed her birthday to the next day. She got phone calls all night long wishing her happy birthday, she had to switch her phone off at like 2am, woke up at 7am with about 15 messages.

Yeah, so as payback, I gave the teaching coordinator a copy of the 'boob' photo, and she printed it and stuck up all over the notice boards on site.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.