The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2320
Original post by punctuation
YET ANOTHER RANDOM CONVERSATION TOPIC

What are you guys planning to do after your undergraduate degree (hopefully at Oxford)? :biggrin:

I'll probably do one of three things: get a job, go to postgraduate research, or get another degree (perhaps in Law). Preferably in the UK but possibly also in Canada.

Do a PhD!;

Then get a job at a nice uni (preferably in Scotland);

make a worthwhile contribution to my field;

write a fascinating non-fiction book concerning said contribution and said field;

rest on my laurels!

(I'd also like to write a General History of the Gaels at some point, as no such book exists, and as we decline, we are in dire need of some kind of record...)
After my degree I don't know. I need to do some soul-searching during my four years at uni :P The current plan is to go to Bath to do a Masters in Conference Interpreting and Translation and then become super-duper-high-powered-high-flying-high-heeled businesswoman interpreter for the EU, but what I've recently been thinking about, and coincidentally my teacher mentioned to me the other day, was going into academia. I love the world of education so much that I don't want to leave it, and I could spend the rest of my life reading books and writing about them :moon:
Reply 2322
Original post by thehaberprocess
Though now come to think about it, I don't think I could tolerate a mock interview so early on in the process...

The mock interviews aren't with you. Well, you'll be there but the tutors will be interviewing a current student (probably a first year) to give a general impression to applicants of the style and structure of the interview. :p:
Original post by BJack
The mock interviews aren't with you. Well, you'll be there but the tutors will be interviewing a current student (probably a first year) to give a general impression to applicants of the style and structure of the interview. :p:

Ohhh...

:yes:

Any chance one of you could film the interview? :wink:
Reply 2324
Ohhh...

:yes:

Any chance one of you could film the interview? :wink:

They'll probably be similar to these ones. (I know that's a Cambridge college but the basic ideas the same.)
Ahhh snap. Sounds awesome.
I'll be in Oxford on Wednesday and Thursday with college but we're just being unleashed upon it freely. Do you have to book onto any of the talks?

Now I don't know about my chances of getting in, competition seems stiff!
Reply 2327
decided on new college for chemistry :smile:
Original post by jack1993jack
I'll be in Oxford on Wednesday and Thursday with college but we're just being unleashed upon it freely. Do you have to book onto any of the talks?

Now I don't know about my chances of getting in, competition seems stiff!

You have to book onto the college open days, but anyone can go to the subject talks and wander around the colleges. :smile:
Original post by teakay
decided on new college for chemistry :smile:

Awesome! Please add yourself to our spreadsheet :smile:
Reply 2330
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Awesome! Please add yourself to our spreadsheet :smile:

done :smile:
Im not sure to apply to oxbridge universities because of my GCSE grades 1A* 7As 2Bs , and for my AS level(AUGUST 18) Im predicting A-Chemistry,A/B-Physics , A/B-Chemistry,A-Spanish, B-French , does anyone think its worth a try , I would have a chance if so please replay?
Original post by razmazterz
Im not sure to apply to oxbridge universities because of my GCSE grades 1A* 7As 2Bs , and for my AS level(AUGUST 18) Im predicting A-Chemistry,A/B-Physics , A/B-Chemistry,A-Spanish, B-French , does anyone think its worth a try , I would have a chance if so please replay?

I would wait and see how you do at AS, if you get AAA or better go for it :smile:

As well, you could still have a chance even if you didn't get that as long as your A2 predications were AAA :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by anyone_can_fly
You have to book onto the college open days, but anyone can go to the subject talks and wander around the colleges. :smile:

Also I looked at the open day page on the website and Oxford says people who haven't booked but just want to come along are allowed after 2pm. ^^
Reply 2334

For languages, do you mean?

I met an Oxford student today who got Bs and Cs at GCSE and got in :smile: He wasn't expecting it, and the teachers at my college were a bit unsure at letting him apply.
So, why not! Give it a go :biggrin:
Okay, why do they get 29 degrees in Stuttgart when I have 15 degrees and rain!? The weather for tomorrow looks okay: it could definitely be worse!

I think Bristol might be my fifth choice now! Anyone been there?
Original post by such_a_lady
Okay, why do they get 29 degrees in Stuttgart when I have 15 degrees and rain!? The weather for tomorrow looks okay: it could definitely be worse!

Bristol and York were to be my last two choices, but I decided against it. They seem a bit dreary for me, too far away from London, and Bristol's psychology program is too stats/bio-based for my liking... Dunno, at one point I was just turned off for both unis. :frown:

It has a very pretty campus, though, and its reputation is quite good. :smile:

On another note... Yay my books came in the mail! Currently poring over Critical Reasoning: A Practical Introduction by Anne Thomson... It's really good! Now I'm subconsciously analysing every sentence I read for its conclusion, reasons, etc. O_o

Haha that sounds great! I'm currently researching the Sturm and Drang movement for my essay comparing Goethe's Prometheus with Grenzen der Menschheit. :smile:
Original post by such_a_lady

I've not been there, but it's probably one of my choices.

BBC weather says "light rain showers" for tomorrow, and its 24 hour forecast says sunny or sunny intervals all morning. And then Thursday is "heavy rain showers". :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending