This discussion is closed.
HannahC1996
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zbert)
The textbook talks about cohesion of water molecules creates a tension that draws water along the cell walls. Whats that about? :confused:
Oh dear... I don't have a clue! That sounds more like the movement of water up the xylem :confused:
eilish1903
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by philippawright)
Yeah but i'm sure we were told even if it is water, if it doesnt cross a partially permeable membrane it cant be counted as osmosis, its just diffusion? aahhh so confused!
ANY net movement of water from an area of high water potntial to an area of lower water potential is known ad osmosis.
It is osmosis. Trust me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tee Logan x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The capillary is also made of the endothelium layer right?
zbert
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm properly confused because 2 people have said apoplastic pathway is diffusion of water vapour through cell wall.

But in the textbook on page 191 it takes about cohesion tension. Then an answer to the summary question 'difference between apoplast and symplast pathway' is 'apoplastic pathway occurs by cohesion and symplast by osmosis'

So apoplastic pathway is cohesion of water molecules, osmosis or diffusion of water vapour? Which one?
buzzing22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What topics came up last time?
eilish1903
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zbert)
The textbook talks about cohesion of water molecules creates a tension that draws water along the cell walls. Whats that about? :confused:
(Original post by HannahC1996)
Oh dear... I don't have a clue! That sounds more like the movement of water up the xylem :confused:
Thats the apoplastic pathway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Suzanna5678
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP.. If there's a question on how water gets from the root hair cells to the xylem do we talk about apoplastic and symplastic pathways and root pressure?
eilish1903
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zbert)
I'm properly confused because 2 people have said apoplastic pathway is diffusion of water vapour through cell wall.

But in the textbook on page 191 it takes about cohesion tension. Then an answer to the summary question 'difference between apoplast and symplast pathway' is 'apoplastic pathway occurs by cohesion and symplast by osmosis'

So apoplastic pathway is cohesion of water molecules, osmosis or diffusion of water vapour? Which one?
The water doesn't diffuse!!! It is drawn through the cell wall due to the cohesive properties of water.

Posted from TSR Mobile
zbert
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by eilish1903)
Thats the apoplastic pathway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So the apoplastic pathway is movement of water by cohesion and is NOT the movement of water/water vapour by osmosis/diffusion?
PurplePhoenix
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jimmy20002012)
What could we get on things like biodiversity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They might just ask something like, "What would the impact be on the diversity of insects if the rainforest was replaced by a single crop?"
Suzanna5678
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How do we link plasmodesmata to symplastic pathway
BingTaoBing
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Guys...

why are the grade boundaries for an A so low? I mean, on Jan2010, the boundary was 52/85, which is about 62%...It just seems pretty unbelievable. I don't have a teacher so I can't ask anyone else!
eilish1903
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zbert)
So the apoplastic pathway is movement of water by cohesion and is NOT the movement of water/water vapour by osmosis/diffusion?
Exactly
The symplastic pathway is osmosis

Posted from TSR Mobile
PurplePhoenix
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bixel)
There's a question in June 2011 that states "Describe how tissue fluid is returned to the circulatory system"

The mark scheme states: "Hydrostatic pressure is lower in capillary, and WATER returns by osmosis"

How comes it mentions water rather than tissue fluid?
Because tissue fluid includes all the small molecules, such as glucose, which make it up. These molecules do not move via osmosis. Osmosis is only water.
JulianaHiguera
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zbert)

Apoplastic is the cohesion of water when it moves through the cell wall, symplastic is the one where it moves via osmosis as one cell obtains a higher water potential than the next drawing water into the next etc Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370188654.719976.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  164.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
eilish1903
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Suzanna5678)
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP.. If there's a question on how water gets from the root hair cells to the xylem do we talk about apoplastic and symplastic pathways and root pressure?
Yes!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
annac64
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Has anyone got the jan 13 unit 2 quetsion paper?
HannahC1996
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Suzanna5678)
I definitely think the pathways should both be mentioned but the root pressure is perhaps more relevant to the movement of water up the xylem
lorobolorolo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HannahC1996)
They are moving against a concentration gradient
Thanks and why exactly is there a higher concentration of ions in the xylem than in the endodermal cells?
Rachieee123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Name:  tsr.png
Views: 186
Size:  3.5 KB Can Someone explain why only 4 amino acids are coded for from this piece of DNA, 3 bases code for an amino acid, aren't there 24 bases so 8 amino acids would be coded for??
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads