Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellenabethx)
    Fantasttic, so this means, don't expect to hear from them until about January
    Precisely, or even later

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A women came to our school the other day to explain the importance of super curricular activities when applying to a top uni. I feel I've done a few but does anyone have any particular books or anything they'd recomend that would stand out on a personal statement (I'm thinking of applying for an economic related course such as PPE, EM, Land economy or straight economics)??????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millerman)
    A women came to our school the other day to explain the importance of super curricular activities when applying to a top uni. I feel I've done a few but does anyone have any particular books or anything they'd recomend that would stand out on a personal statement (I'm thinking of applying for an economic related course such as PPE, EM, Land economy or straight economics)??????
    Things like reading books, going to lectures, relevant work experience is mainly what matters. For books it doesn't need to be anything specific it just has to relate somewhat to what degree you want to do. Also don't go for any over used books like Fermat's last theorem for maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millerman)
    Don't just read books, watch lectures, go further and attend conferences to illustrate your passion.
    A quote that made an impact on me before was 'If you want to stretch yourself,don't just read books, challenge yourself and go to lectures'. Search the Open Yale course online and listen carefully to the lectures on Economics, ask your teachers to take you to conferences in London by the Bank of England. This'll truly
    set you apart from most applicants. I did these and in addition read some books like 'Globalisation and its Discontents' and Harvard Economics reports.
    Hope I've helped, just make sure to start preparing for your course early if you want a strong chance at an elite university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Oh wow, so unit 4 should be much more fun

I'm currently doing unit 3 revision. I just finished collating as much past paper questions as I felt was appropriate and separating them by topic. Almost as essay plans o.O - perhaps I'll share them on tsr if people find them useful.

I tried drawing all possible graphs on unit 3 and found poverty extremely difficult ! I mean laffer curve, possibly Lorenz.... And I'm stuck Hardest bit of unit 3 for sure I think persknally

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would be very interested in seeing what you've got there! I'm a French student preparing for Cambridge interview I'm really looking forward to having an idea of what you do in Economics A-level (which is apparently very different from French Economics lessons).
    Let me know if you upload some of your work

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for Economics BSc from Queen Mary this week (AAB)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'd be grateful if somebody could provide me with some advice.

I have applied to Bsc Economics at several unis.
    I've done my GCSE's and pursuing my A-Levels in Cardiff UK.

I have just found out that I am being considered as an international applicant. DO you think being considered as an international puts me at a disadvantage because as far as I am aware, other internationals have more AS Levels than a typical home student.
    My STATs-
    GCSE's 6A* 5A
    AS AAAB (Maths, Econ, Phys, Bio)
    A2 predicted A*A*A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jambo1212)
    Hi there,
    I'd be grateful if somebody could provide me with some advice.

I have applied to Bsc Economics at several unis.
    I've done my GCSE's and pursuing my A-Levels in Cardiff UK.

I have just found out that I am being considered as an international applicant. DO you think being considered as an international puts me at a disadvantage because as far as I am aware, other internationals have more AS Levels than a typical home student.
    My STATs-
    GCSE's 6A* 5A
    AS AAAB (Maths, Econ, Phys, Bio)
    A2 predicted A*A*A
    Hello, I'm an international as well. I don't think you're at a disadvantage because most in my country (Malaysia) do 4 AS subjects....although some take Thinking Skills as a 5th.

On a separate matter, I got an offer from Warwick on Friday - A*AA including Math! Really happy about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Southpaw Wolf)
    Hello, I'm an international as well. I don't think you're at a disadvantage because most in my country (Malaysia) do 4 AS subjects....although some take Thinking Skills as a 5th.

On a separate matter, I got an offer from Warwick on Friday - A*AA including Math! Really happy about it
    When did you send off your UCAS?
    Congrats on the offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smko)
    When did you send off your UCAS?
    Congrats on the offer!
    Thank you! I sent it off on the 17th of September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    What days are your interviews?
    On the 9th i have the test, and my interviews are on the 10th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Southpaw Wolf)

Oh ok, That's reassuring.
    Do you mind me asking, what subjects are you doing at A2 and what did you get at AS?

PS- Congrats on your offer from Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jambo1212)
    Oh ok, That's reassuring.
    Do you mind me asking, what subjects are you doing at A2 and what did you get at AS?

PS- Congrats on your offer from Warwick.
    Further Mathematics, Mathematics, Economics, Chemistry. I got AAA for AS. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PierreIsNotMyName)
    Same here, does anyone have an idea on what the written test will be on? I am presuming economics and maths questions but would there be any physics questions (as I do physics a level).

ReputationRep:
    I have to decide between Leeds (Economics), Birmingham (Economics) and Bristol (Economics and Finance) and wondered if anyone could provide some help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeromeM)
    I have to decide between Leeds (Economics), Birmingham (Economics) and Bristol (Economics and Finance) and wondered if anyone could provide some help?
    Personally Bristol is more prestigious than the other 2, but Leeds is the better "place" to me and so I would choose Leeds. Have you been all these universities?

ReputationRep:
    No I haven't, I also should have added I have to pick two of the three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeromeM)

What were your predicted grades/GCSE's and when did you send off your application may i ask? Applying to similar courses and haven't heard back yet thanks.

p.s would have to be bristol for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PierreIsNotMyName)
    (Original post by TerribleTej)
    Same here, does anyone have an idea on what the written test will be on? I am presuming economics and maths questions but would there be any physics questions (as I do physics a level).
    I have the same two days aswell. The website says the test is on Maths, Stats and Econ so I'm sure there's no Physics involved. What I'm unsure on is whether the test is something that can be prepared for or not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    I have the same two days aswell. The website says the test is on Maths, Stats and Econ so I'm sure there's no Physics involved. What I'm unsure on is whether the test is something that can be prepared for or not...

Can you send me a link please for the website as I can't seem to find it, but thanks for letting me know. I would rep you if I could for that but TSR doesn't allow me just yet

Edit: In terms of preparation, I am going to go through all the content in c1-c3, fp1 and s1 as well as some bits in c4 and fp2, and if I have time then d1 (might just skip this and hope they don't ask anything related to d1) and m1 (although this won't take much time as I have nearly done m2 anyways),

Edit2: I found the link, thanks for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.