Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack59)
    Les Grands Seigneurs, The River God, Casehistory: Alison and On a portrait of a death man are the poems that could and I'm certain will come up for Character and Voice.
    My teacher told me it was Horse Whisperer, Singh Song, River god and Les Grands Seigneurs that hadn't come up yet? I'm not revising Casehistory or On a Potrait... but they're two similar poems, they wouldn't both come up right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonSky)
    My teacher told me it was Horse Whisperer, Singh Song, River god and Les Grands Seigneurs that hadn't come up yet? I'm not revising Casehistory or On a Potrait... but they're two similar poems, they wouldn't both come up right?
    Horse Whisperer and Singh Song came up in January 2013 paper...I think on a portrait is a potential one though

ReputationRep:
    Hi does anyone know which poems are going to come up on the Poetry Relationships section on Thursday for the higher paper??:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonSky)
    Its not often I say this, but your teacher is 100% wrong. Singh Song came up in January, as did Horse Whisperer. She has probably not looked at the January paper.

They are similar poems, so I imagine one will come up. But remember, you need to compare, so due to the fact they are similar, comparing Case History to On a Potrait seems likely as they both carry similar themes. I'd revise them both due to that reason.

I'll make my point again, I believe it will be two out of these four that come up for Character and Voice.

Les Grands Seigneurs,
    The River God,
    Casehistory: Alison
    On a portrait of a death man

For Conflict, I am confident it will be two of these four.

"Etract from out the Blue''
    ''The Yellow Palm'',
    ''Come on, Come back'' and
    ''Hawk Roosting'

Of course I don't know for definitive, only AQA do, but I'll be surprised if I was wrong. AQA were pretty predictable in Unit A and we got it right there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    Hey evening guys, when you do a comparison what is the structure you normally do? I have something along the lines of: Brief Introduction, Form/Tone, Language, Structure and then a conclusion. What about you guys? What would you put in the conclusion? GREATLY APPRECIATED
    :please:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icantexplain)
    Can someone help me please?! What will they ask me on the poetry exam on Thursday, I'm doing moon on the tides anthology
    It depends what section your doing Relationships, Conflict.....

ReputationRep:
    When we get the question what structure do we use to answer it?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Anthology cluster - relationships (luckily Mr Bruff has A/A* videos on most of the poems)
    Of Mice and Men and Inspector Calls!
    OMFG I ABSOLUTELY HATE INSPECTOR CALLS!!! I wanted to do A View From a Bridge -.-
    Did A View From a Bridge for a part of my Drama GCSE and the book was absolutely amazing. But Inspector bloody Calls is 80 pages of 1 long conversation in a pitiful setting...
    Hi....is there anyway of you uploading the videos because i really need help and do you have any idea what poems are going to come up?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack97)
    When we get the question what structure do we use to answer it?????
    That's what I'm asking too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ava-)
    I am doing relationships cluster, and have got a lot of notes comparing ghazal with to his coy mistress; tehr eare actually a lot of points! and it kills two possible birds with one stone
    I am also trying to compare Born Yesterday/Hour, which is okay, but not extremeley compatible.

I was wondering if you guys thought it was really risky to just revise the predicted poems e.g Born Yesterday, THCM, Ghazal and 116?
    It would be terrifying if none of them came up, but there is so little time!
    I focused wayyy too much on the stories!
    Hi can you list some points comparing Ghazal and To His Coy Mistress for me please! (you dont know how much this would help me for last minute revision)!

ReputationRep:
    Really pleased that Ruined Maid is definitley not coming up as named poem in character and voice, hoping its les grands seigneurs or river God

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SS_Ldn)
    Really pleased that Ruined Maid is definitley not coming up as named poem in character and voice, hoping its les grands seigneurs or river God
    Precisely my thoughts :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fs1996)
    What are people's estimates on what the question will be on the the poetry comparison PLACE cluster?
    Well, Neighbours, Hard water, London, Below the Green Corrie, Wind and Storm in the Black Forest have all come up before!
    I predict it will be Price we pay for the sun or The Blackbird of Glanmore (well, I hope it's them!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have good notes on the relationship cluster? would be helpful please?

ReputationRep:
    What structure to use when comparing poems?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know for the moon on the tides: character and voice:

-how the exam will be laid out? (e.g 4 16 mark questions, 1 on unseen)
    -a good way of how to structure each answer per question? - (e.g 3 paragraphs, 1 structure, 2 language)
    -what the success criteria for full marks are? (band 6 - I didn't know where to look )
    -and any other general tips to gain bonus marks

Thanks in advance and good luck for your remaining exams!

ReputationRep:
    For anyone doing the conflict poems: if hawk roosting came up what would you compare it with?

ReputationRep:
    For the relationship cluster you only have to study Ghazal, Sonnet 116 (which I think will surely come up), To His Coy Mistress and Born Yesterday. I suggest you also study other poems to compare with these

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SS_Ldn)
    How do you know?!? really hope it isnt because I don't understand that poem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srf123)
    For anyone doing the conflict poems: if hawk roosting came up what would you compare it with?
    This will help. http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...oosting6.shtml

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.